SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
I ordered the ARF/ RxR version that comes with the 4018-900 motor. These planes are a larger than the 2M Phoenix, but that system may work fine. The climb rate may not be same. Shipping was $21.50. This is my first order from Banana Hobby, hopefully it shows up fairly soon.

Thanks, Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:18 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,929 Posts
Thx Ryan - appreciate your sharing the info.
If anyone has more details, I'm all ears over here!

An-n-n-nd, I'm in need of some more info on this FMS ASW-28! I think in fact it'd be handy to have/know for reference in application to this model and others as well!

Key to the whole thing is what I noted in BH's spare parts listing. Namely that, they show the regular 9g servos we all know & love but also (apparently) special servos for the flap operations. Being for flaps, I'd first presume they're 'slim' versions -- maybe not. ?? But secondly, they show one regular and another for 'Reverse' operation - again, for flaps.
But good ol' Petey's crew, in their standard magnificently stumbling style, DON'T SHOW A SINGLE FREAKIN' DIMENSION FIGURE or PERFORMANCE FIGURE UNDER THE SPECS TAB!!
http://www.bananahobby.com/fms-s-03-80593-prd1.html
I mean, C'MON! -- WHAT are SPECS LISTINGS FOR IF NOT THAT?!?!? *BAH!!!*

They're also branded as 'FMS' servos; thus I've now wasted near 2 hours searching thru everything from the online Servo Database (http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/all) -- thru to the mfr's site [SHENZHEN FMS HOBBY CO LTD] which basically offers nothing but a product purchase inquiry form.....and I can't come up with any dims info on these servos.

First, if the servo database thingy does show the relevant info under some other brand name, I'd most appreciate someone's pointing me to the right place.

And secondly, if not (anyone knowing), I'd hesitatingly request someone who already has an FMS ASW-28 in their hands to please take some physical measures & post them here, along with any labeling (eg) info they can find.

As cheap as they are (compared to some of the 'Big Boys'!) I'd hate to spend $6-8 (+) on standard 9g servos I can buy for ~$3, as would I think most of us. So the info could prove valuable to us all. Especially those who'd like to take advantage of the good Kit sale price & who are gonna have to purchase parts (eg servos) to complete the plane.

Please?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,532 Posts
I don't think there are any flaps, SH, so I would guess that the reversed servo isn't necessary unless you are going to add them. I think I would just plan on whatever servo you prefer and, at worst, you'll just have to make new covers if they stick out a bit.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
Guys.. can anyone post the wing area of this bird ???
Seems heavy at 1100g

I'm also in the market for a new thermal bird.. But sumthin tells me this could be balanced more on the scale side of things rather than for thermal performance..

Any ways to get the auw down a bit ??
3d addict is offline Find More Posts by 3d addict
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,929 Posts
Not so bad, really. First off, 'claimed' AUW's I'm finding must be taken with a grain of salt!
And here's one 'dose of reality' for comparison:
The Lanyu Phoenix 2000 (P2K) is known for being a pretty good 'floater' -- here's a rash of specs & data from my collected notes:

Flying Weight : 980g * (*ADVERTISED -- far from true!)
P2K Weight Data ("Flying Weight - 980g")
Component Weights (g) Grams
Wings - Ailerons only (2 servos) 437g << 44.6% of recommended AUW; 36.4% w/2200a LiPo; 37.6% w/1800; 38.8% w/1300

Fuse (Dry) 465
Prop Assy (Stock 10x6) 27
Canopy 35
TOTAL DRY WEIGHT (grams) 964 -16 (Under spec'd 980g)
EagleTree Components 46
TOTAL w/INSTRUMENTATION 1010 +30g

Weight w/various LiPos (all 3s 11.1v) <> AUW
LiPos - Wgt(g) AUWs OVERspec
TNT1300 - 111 1121 141
GA1300 - 124 1134 154
TNT1800 - 147 1157 177
Tgy1800 - 157 1167 187
TNT2200 - 184 1194 214
GA2200 - 194 1204 224 <> 42.47oz <> 2.65lb <> 2lb 10.4oz
------
TNT = Turnigy Nano-Tech
GA = Gens Ace
Tgy = Turnigy 'Blue'

The wings (w/only 2 servos) weigh 437g - that's 45% of the spec'd AUW!

+++
At realistic flying weight of ~1170g for the P2K, just going on span that's .585g/mm, & your 1100g's on a 2.3meter bird is only .478g/mm. Have no way of calc'g the wing area for total loading but, it's already favorable at that outset.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 25, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:19 AM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
@StarHopper44

Thats some pretty good observation and calculations

And of course id have to agree with you on the skewed manuf AUWs ...

Reason I asked was because I just got badly F****d over when I bought the HK ventus 2.3m..

Auw was shamefully quoted as 750g with 3s 1300....
I calculated the wing loading even being marginal adding 50g for unseen blobs of glue ect ect... And things looked promising.. Something like 8oz/ft2
Now when I put the bird together things took a very different stance !!!!
long story short in the end the scales tipped 1135g

In a desperate attempt to shed the weight I sized down to a 2s1300
5g Hxt500s all round
Built a new epp canopy 20g...Original 52g
scrapped the retractable landing gear and servo..
And some other bits of housework and now my weight was 910g

Maiden, was horrible, Frighting infact !!!! No power to climb to a safe height
500s were too weak and wanted to break free from the wings..
did one hairy circuit and watched it sink like a stone into a cornfield...
Packed up, went home and banned the ventus to the shelf...

Obviously this is the reason I'm suspicious of the fms asw28..
They say 1100g but that frightens me into thinking its even more..
Fair enough the 28 probaly has one of the largest wing areas for a scale bird but that doesn't stop company's feeding us lies and selling us epo cement mixers

I really hope I'm wrong on this !!! People have said they specked out in thermals but to be honest most thermals above 500ft are established enough to suck up most gliders... Unfortunately Im living in Ireland and with our moderate climate the thermals are on the weak turbulent side ..

Stmodels asw28 is supposed to be quite a bit of fun as a thermal ship.. But its tiny and fragile !!! Id much rather this offering if it turns out to be a nice ship..
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Thx Ryan - appreciate your sharing the info.
If anyone has more details, I'm all ears over here!

An-n-n-nd, I'm in need of some more info on this FMS ASW-28! I think in fact it'd be handy to have/know for reference in application to this model and others as well!

Key to the whole thing is what I noted in BH's spare parts listing. Namely that, they show the regular 9g servos we all know & love but also (apparently) special servos for the flap operations. Being for flaps, I'd first presume they're 'slim' versions -- maybe not. ?? But secondly, they show one regular and another for 'Reverse' operation - again, for flaps.
But good ol' Petey's crew, in their standard magnificently stumbling style, DON'T SHOW A SINGLE FREAKIN' DIMENSION FIGURE or PERFORMANCE FIGURE UNDER THE SPECS TAB!!
http://www.bananahobby.com/fms-s-03-80593-prd1.html
I mean, C'MON! -- WHAT are SPECS LISTINGS FOR IF NOT THAT?!?!? *BAH!!!*

They're also branded as 'FMS' servos; thus I've now wasted near 2 hours searching thru everything from the online Servo Database (http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/all) -- thru to the mfr's site [SHENZHEN FMS HOBBY CO LTD] which basically offers nothing but a product purchase inquiry form.....and I can't come up with any dims info on these servos.

First, if the servo database thingy does show the relevant info under some other brand name, I'd most appreciate someone's pointing me to the right place.

And secondly, if not (anyone knowing), I'd hesitatingly request someone who already has an FMS ASW-28 in their hands to please take some physical measures & post them here, along with any labeling (eg) info they can find.

As cheap as they are (compared to some of the 'Big Boys'!) I'd hate to spend $6-8 (+) on standard 9g servos I can buy for ~$3, as would I think most of us. So the info could prove valuable to us all. Especially those who'd like to take advantage of the good Kit sale price & who are gonna have to purchase parts (eg servos) to complete the plane.

Please?
I am in Charlotte, not far from you. I will be back on Sunday and look at servos on mine, have not flown it yet. I can fly all kinds of birds but gliders and I do not do well. Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:33 AM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
PS.... Sorry if I dampened the mood with the last post a bit...

I in no way, want to spoil anyone's fun with there new asw28..
On the contrary, I hope it turns out to be a winner...
Cuz I want one too ;]
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,532 Posts
Hi, 3d addict.

Any scale design will suffer a bit in thermals compared to a purpose designed model. That's just the nature of the beast. Generally the biggest problem is that wings with a high aspect ratio tend to tip stall in flat, tight, slow turns rather than a lack of ability to climb in lift. I don't have an FMS ASW-28 but, as is obvious from the thread, it seems to soar quite well. I do, however, have a ST ASW-28.

It takes some work to get it flying well but it is a good flier and responds well to light lift. I wouldn't say that it's fragile. All I did to stiffen it was add three coats of paint and I have had no problems with flutter even when bailing out of monster thermals at high speed. I've also hit a tree and a light pole with no damage aside from a dent in the leading edge. The big problem is the stock ailerons and linkage which are nearly useless. I enjoy flying it but everything I've seen indicates that the FMS is a better performer and a better quality product straight from the box but neither will float like a Radian or similar glider. If you have questions about the ST Models ASW-28 feel free to ask me on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725885

Cheers!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
I am in Charlotte, not far from you. I will be back on Sunday and look at servos on mine, have not flown it yet. I can fly all kinds of birds but gliders and I do not do well. Tim
Then you are a fellow of the finest kind -- and I don't care what they say about you in Raleigh!

(Thanx guy.....it'll be appreciated.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d addict View Post
PS.... Sorry if I dampened the mood with the last post a bit...

I in no way, want to spoil anyone's fun with there new asw28..
On the contrary, I hope it turns out to be a winner...
Cuz I want one too ;]
Not at all, dood! And I'll just say here what I'd decided to say by time I'd read half-way thru your post above - that, therein lies the true beauty of this amazing resource we have here, in the RCG forums. The ability to go far beyond the claims and propaganda (if you will) of the mfrs & sellers, and see what others with hands-on experience with both the model in question, as well as others to compare it to, have to say about it -- pro and con! I, for one, and I know many others as well, don't buy hardly anything without first checking it out on RCG!! And I'll believe them a hundred times over before I'll even take a suggestion from 'the other side'!
Word.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,532 Posts
Quote:
And I'll believe them a hundred times over before I'll even take a suggestion from 'the other side'!
You got that right, SH. Even "independent" reviewers usually get their planes for free or some other remuneration from vendors. One who has to purchase his own stuff has a different set of expectations. I'm also not usually impressed with the skills and experience of those who do "flight reviews". It's especially glaring when they are "testing" a warbird and boldly claim that said warbird won't perform snap rolls or spins. Of course, they rarely if ever shut off the motor on a glider much less actually try to soar with it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
I think I was running on a dose of whishfull thinking everyone...

Autums in here in Ireland... No lift . no sailplane

We experienced the worst summer in 50 yrs this year.. So if thats anything to go by looks like 3d flying at the park is about all im in for... Strange really , We usually get great weather in September when all the kids go back to school ,hahaha but not this time round...

I fear a DLG is the only hopes I would have of using the lift from the very small slopes around my area... A 2+metere machine would probably bull through it and chuckle at the attempt ;]

NO!!!! 3d addict, exclaimed mother... You can get a glider next year...
now feck off outside and play with 2d addict!!!!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,532 Posts
Don't be so sure, 3d addict. Some of the best thermal flying of my life has been in the depths of Minnesota winters. Thermals are formed by a temperature difference rather that a high absolute temp. I used to fly on a frozen lake that has a small area that the current kept open. The relatively warm water surround by snow covered ice would form thermals that would nearly rip the wings off! Roads and parking lots can also form great winter thermals.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Don't be so sure, 3d addict. Some of the best thermal flying of my life has been in the depths of Minnesota winters. Thermals are formed by a temperature difference rather that a high absolute temp. I used to fly on a frozen lake that has a small area that the current kept open. The relatively warm water surround by snow covered ice would form thermals that would nearly rip the wings off! Roads and parking lots can also form great winter thermals.
This much is true... Honestly its been a wile since Ive got back to soaring...
Got into 3d and still love it, but cant beat a glider...

Did quite a bit as a youngster.. 2 people in my family are full size glider pilots and they also fly the models..

I dunno..which model to buy... I really like the asw, looks lovely in blue trim..
I also had my eye on the fms fox... Probably has a heavier wing loading but would be great for the rough onshore breeze down at the beach... The radian loves sitting in the stiff breeze !! But I wouldnt buy one... Its my friends... Not my type of model...