HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
Oh, it's in my sights - don't hafta sell me! I've already decided the FMS model is the best of my options.

Two questions:
First one, I forgot to ask before when asking about aerobatics. How's the FMS 28's motor performance? As I plan to upgrade to a 40-A ESC w/5v UBEC (switching vice linear), will the motor stand up to long continuous runs when thermals just ain't happening?

2nd one at Studio:
You never did answer my question about that freeware? app on your website. I followed the link you gave expecting to see some graphics work but all I got was the 'push' for the WordPress or whatever it was. (Site's down right now). Had something I wanted to get you to try.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:11 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Oh, it's in my sights - don't hafta sell me! I've already decided the FMS model is the best of my options.

Two questions:
First one, I forgot to ask before when asking about aerobatics. How's the FMS 28's motor performance? As I plan to upgrade to a 40-A ESC w/5v UBEC (switching vice linear), will the motor stand up to long continuous runs when thermals just ain't happening?

2nd one at Studio:
You never did answer my question about that freeware? app on your website. I followed the link you gave expecting to see some graphics work but all I got was the 'push' for the WordPress or whatever it was. (Site's down right now). Had something I wanted to get you to try.
Opps yes missed that sorry.

WordPress is a free software that runs on a web server and utilizes MySQL database with categories, links, posts. Most blogs and many websites use this. You can change the look of your website running WordPress by using a different theme. The admin back end of the software is very intuitive and makes editing easy when everthing is running as it should. My website uses this software to run and my webhosting company updated my server and the database isn't back online yet, should be soon. So, when you go to my website I have an editing page up there now. Sorry, when I sent the link I was unaware it was offline and being upgraded.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:46 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
(@Studs): Negative perspiration. I'll send you a PM later after I get thru 'making the rounds' here, about 'the thing'.

To All;
I'm on Horizon's mailing list - got an announcement this morning on a new product they're pre-selling now - the 'Mystique' from E-Flite. 2.9-meter fiberglas'd beauty - several nice features. Kinda OT but considering the audience, thought y'all would like to see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LyMi24M-HIs

So many planes, so little time!
(& cash)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:11 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,362 Posts
After loosing my Fox to a horrific yet exciting demise in the spring and flying hopped up FMS warbirds all summer, I felt the need to poke around for some thermals.

My ASW-28 will be here at the end of the week, on sale for $99.00 ARF I couldn't resist.

My only variation from stock will be running a 2200 3s and the appropriate aft weight.

Anyone running spoilerons? My approach is long but the runway is small
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:39 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
Hi 'PU', and welcome to the show!
From the price looks like you're thinkin' BH's -28? Mine's not here yet but, me too!
Can't answer your ? about spoilerons but just run a thread search for any mentions.

I did spot something the other day in the ad that's making me wonder. Under specs, last line says "Pilots using their own radio systems will need to adjust Travel Adjust and or EPA (End Point Adjustment) settings before operating." I already know what EPA is & how-to, but what I'm wondering is why??

I also know what EPA does, but what I'm wondering is, what is it about this particular model that requires it; and are they talking about shortening or lengthening, or maybe even shifting one direction or t'other - ie extending upper & shortening lower end, or vice-versa. What's the word, Johannesburg???
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:49 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,095 Posts
EPA is end point adjustment...aka ATV on airtronics radios. Simply put, where the servo moves to
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:38 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
EPA is end point adjustment...aka ATV on airtronics radios. Simply put, where the servo moves to
Doesn't answer the question.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Doesn't answer the question.
Yup the FMS ASW-28 from BH.

As far as the EPA thing from BH the put that on the description of all of the ARFs for sale.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,451 Posts
Hi, starhopper.

I've noticed the same statement on other BH ads. I think they mean that one needs to adjust in order to get the proper amount of throw while their RTF models, presumably, are already adjusted to the recommended throws; not that I would trust them!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
Thanx guys.
But seems kinda odd that for one, what about customers that don't have radios that'll adjust end points, and moreso, I'd bet a dollar to a donut the $28 cheapo they give you with RTF's aren't capable. Servo travel's controlled by the pulsewidth transmitted by the TX, right? So how would they be pre-adjusted, and how would their supplied Tx accomplish their own recommendation? I just don't see it.

No biggy - to me at least.....just conversationally.

My original question was focused towards the guys here in this thread who presumably bought this particular ASW-28. Did you either have to do something with ETA (on your own radio) to get "proper" performance, or just do it due to their recommendation, or not do anything at all with regard to ETA?

And if you did, why? - ie, due to what factor(s)?
And exactly what adjustment did you make?

The 'recommendation' is sorely lacking in just what the heck it is they're saying the need is, or what to do about it!

Exacerbated by the fact it's recommended on so many models, but you don't (at least I've never) see this recommendation from any other company that happens to sell the same models. See where I'm comin' from?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
Has anyone flown both the ASW-28 and the 2.3M Fox? If so how similar or different are they in the air, and build quality?

Thanks, Ryan
rycomm is online now Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:50 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
Has anyone flown both the ASW-28 and the 2.3M Fox? If so how similar or different are they in the air, and build quality?

Thanks, Ryan
I have TONS of time on the FMS Fox, I just got my ASW-28 today and can hopefully give you a flight comparison after the weekend.

UPDATE: Build done, maiden this evening.
Last edited by pullup!; Sep 21, 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: "build" complete
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,362 Posts
Did the maiden this evening, 15/20 mph winds. Logged about 25 minutes of stick time. Flew great!

Like it way better than my old Fox, very floaty.

Looking forward to better conditions for the next flight.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
Well, I took a chance and ordered and ASK28 from Banana Hobby while it was on sale. I guess for a $120 shipped, it's worth a chance. I always wanted one of the Robbe or Graupner ASKs from the early 90's Hobby Lobby catalog, but could never afford one. Hopefully it will fly nicely.

Thanks, Ryan
rycomm is online now Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
Yeah, I saw this morning where BH had put the FMS Fox 2.3-m kit form on weekly special for $30 off; ~$80. Is that the deal you got? $40 shipping seems kinda steep from Cal.

I'm tempted myself; have a motor/prop combo from a Phoenix 2000 that'll be available. It's 2815/1050Kv w/30A ESC (& I have a 40), 10x6 Prop -- I'm wondering if this set will work with the Fox. The P2K is 980g AUW & I note the Fox's is 1100g so, fearing it might take a heftier setup to pull it. What power set are you using on yours?

I'm ~90% sure I'm still gonna get the 28 - might be a matter of timing for best freight deal tho. Anyone know if BH combines shipments for best costing? Been watching for a deal on shipping for near a month now, since they ended the August special about 8 days before month's actual end. *grrrrr* They yanked the deal just 2 days before I had the money available. NOT pleased! (*2x grrrrrr!*)

Oh cwap....I see you got the sale 28 not the Fox I asked about. (I get into this stuff & my eyes just glaze over *LOL*) Oh well, the questions stand, so..... *duh*?
~$20 shipping for you, right?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 23, 2012 at 07:57 AM.