HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
Sverige, Uppsala Lšn, Uppsala
Joined Mar 2011
76 Posts
Question
PIP (Picture in Picture) hardware for FPV?

Hi,

I've googled and searched Ebay...
Can't find any light weight hardware for merging two composite video sources together (PIP).

Am going to fly my quad with a mini camera and record video with a gimball mounted GoPro camera.
Would be nice to have the gimball camera picture in a small window, so I can see what I'm recording. But I must have a solid mounted camera so I don't lose orientation while flying...

Has this been done by anyone?
I found a hardware for about $150, but the weight was 800g.
Surely it could be stripped down to the PCB, but would probably still weight a bit.

Any ideas please!?

Thanks
/Windman
Windman is offline Find More Posts by Windman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
76 Posts
Been digging some more...

This is the best I can come up with:
Product info

60g
5-28V DC input
1.68W @ 12V

Last edited by Windman; Mar 29, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:55 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
I've gave PiP a brief thought some time ago but I didn't follow the idea any further.

I suppose another approach would be to have two independent video transmitters on the multicopter and then do the PiP at ground level, so to speak.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
76 Posts
I just bought one for £60 in Ebay

Two transmitters and two receivers are not an option.
To much added weight and extra radio interference.
And I'm also going to use diversity on my two receivers.

This is going to be interesting
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:20 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,211 Posts
I considered pip previously but went with a video switcher instead. I fly with goggles and eventually decided that the smaller picture would be too small to see enough detail. I use a video switcher on my Hexa now and it works great. When I switch to altitude and position hold, it automatically switches to the gimble camera. When I switch out of alt/pos hold, it goes to the fixed camera. I can still move the craft in alt/pos hold but as soon as I let go of the sticks it auto levels etc. The video switches are not expensive. I have tried several and found the one that dpcav.com sells works best.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:18 AM
Thailand
Joined Apr 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windman View Post
I just bought one for £60 in Ebay

Two transmitters and two receivers are not an option.
To much added weight and extra radio interference.
And I'm also going to use diversity on my two receivers.

This is going to be interesting
I need to buy one, kindlly pls let me have the link to buy one.
ThaiskyDigital is offline Find More Posts by ThaiskyDigital
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
I considered pip previously but went with a video switcher instead. I fly with goggles and eventually decided that the smaller picture would be too small to see enough detail. I use a video switcher on my Hexa now and it works great. When I switch to altitude and position hold, it automatically switches to the gimble camera. When I switch out of alt/pos hold, it goes to the fixed camera. I can still move the craft in alt/pos hold but as soon as I let go of the sticks it auto levels etc. The video switches are not expensive. I have tried several and found the one that dpcav.com sells works best.
Yeah, that was my other thought.
I'm going to use a less sofisticated FC with only gyros and accelerometers, but switching video feed would probably work anyways.
And a lot cheaper solution than the PIP unit.
For now that will be my backup plan, if the PIP solution sucks

Edit: The PIP unit has config buttons, so I could switch between PIP setups in air.
I'm not worried about the low details in the smaller window, it's mostly the horizon I'm concerned about.
Last edited by Windman; Apr 16, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
i have thought about this as well.... sounds like a lot of fun.

Setup F Mode switch to enter position hold, switch video signal and then control a 3 axis gimbal

might be asking too much, but it would be great!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
76 Posts
I have received this PIP device and done some testing.

Here are some facts and results:

Main PCB weight alone is 14g.
There is no need for the two breakout PCBs if you are going with one PIP screen setup.
All you need is a multimeter to verify that you connect video/voltage/shortcut the correct wires.
However, the main PCB processor uses the alu case as a heat sink.
I will replace this with a small heatsink and shrink tube.
The main PCB with its alu cover weights 52g. So there is a 38g win to lose the cover, minus new heat sink and shrink tube.

The device draws 1.338W @ 11.1V with standard setup with one small screen in a bigger one. The alu case gets a little warm, but not hot. So the CPU needs some sort of heat sink for sure.

The picture quality is great. No degrade what I can see.

At first I thought there was a delay in the video feed, but I was wrong.
I counted the frames before the TV picture started to change after I hit the live feed camera with my finger. I counted 11 frames both with and without the PIP device.
I recorded in 60fps, so the delay was 0.18s. If it is my TV or the GoPro camera, I dont know. But it wasnt the PIP device.

A very thoroug manual is included.
I believe I can come down to a totalt weight of 30g after using a small heat sink and shrink tube.

If you look for a PIP solution for your FPV, I believe this is something to consider!
I have only tested this briefly in my livingroom, but so far it is promising.

If anyone wants pictures or more info, feel free to ask!

Edit: Weight specifications.
Last edited by Windman; Apr 06, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
can you post pics here. it is an interesting project for sure. I am interested....

how did you wire it all up?

2 cameras to the PIP device.... then the output is to the vTx?

how big and where is the PIP screen? is it adjustable? I would love to fly FPV and see my gimballed camera in PIP.

great idea!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
76 Posts
I connected two GoPros to input and output to my LCD TV.
There was no RX/TX involved.

A cable with RS232 (to COM port) is provided.
With the software (not included? bet the manufacturer can send it) you can pretty much configure everything according to the manual. Screen sizes and positions etc.

There are 16 preset layouts that you easily switch between.
You can store/change basic layouts on these 16 memories by using buttons, but you need the software to rezie and change position on the small screen.
The size of the small screen is probably ok, but it is not located in the end of the corner, just in the corner. Hard to explain, I'm tierd Pictures will show tomorrow...

Need to sleep, but will post images tomorrow!

Ps.
Will also test this through the RX/TX and in my FatShark goggles tomorrow.
I will then use the GoPro as 2nd channel for the small screen, and one of those small "crappy" FPV-cameras as channel 1 for the big picture.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:15 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Sounds great. I am super interested!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
76 Posts
Just tested the video output in my FatShark goggles.
I have a good feeling about this...
Of course the details in the small window is low. FatShark is only 640x480.
But more then enough to decide horizon, and normal sized objects to adjust camera tilt while flying.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2005
11 Posts
Very Cool

I've been looking into PIP and that seems to be the best solution. Whats the cost of thw pip system?
JediCreator is offline Find More Posts by JediCreator