HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Discussion
Help with setting up JR TX for Heli

Hi...I'm trying to set up my JR 9303 H TX for a heli, I do have the heli version. I've never set up a TX for a heli before (electric).

I have a 9 channel RX. I have the Gyro set up (Gyro sens- Gyro Gain Function) aux-2. Is this how most heli pilots set up their TX. There is (manual RUDD/DR) or (AUTO). I know that most say what is right for you,BUT, i don't know what is right for me. Right now I'm just hovering trying to keep it in one spot. I have about 4 hr's stick time. I would like to get it set-up in a way that i will grow into while learning. does that make sense?

I'm all ear's(or eye's while reading your comments) and willing to listen and learn.

John
J.Avant is offline Find More Posts by J.Avant
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:05 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,212 Posts
Depends on the gyro. Some gyro's really need to be switched between HH, and Rate mode for setup. After setup you can change it however you want. The advantages of Auto really are for more advanced flight. It can change gain automatically with the flight mode switch. Most would never change gain in flight, unless they where flying it hard, or didn't have a good gyro.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
I guess i should of included the gyro type. What would be the best way to set up a GY520 gyro?

Do most pilots that fly just simple circuits set their gyro different than pilots that fly 3D? Is there a happy medium that would do for both styles of flying?

Is it best just to leave the gyro in HH mode?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:55 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,212 Posts
I usually set gain to the Rudd/Dr switch, and never change it except during setup of the Gyro. This keeps it simple. For basic flying around most leave it in HH mode, at a reasonable gain setting. Your gyro is good enough to get you very far setup this way.

Some 3D flyers push the limits of the gyro. They often use the Auto function for ease of switching during flight. Some stunts look better at different headspeeds, and gain settings. In a routine they might have some precise flight at lower head speeds. Then maybe some very fast rotations that need lower gains. Also maybe some rapid pitch changes, that need higher gains. Auto gives 3 different gain settings, tied to a choice of three different throttle, and pitch curves.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:02 AM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Thanks.....I'm still a little confused about gain settings. I watched Finless Bob's vids. I have the GY520 on a Align Trex 450 pro. The tail twitches so i lowered the gain and still twitches left to right. I've lowered it to as much 50 and high as 75 and it doesn't change.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:13 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,212 Posts
I asume this is a Futaba Gy520, not a Leader Hobby Gy520.
The gain should be able to run at around 70% without wag. You might not have the gain signal going to the correct channel. For a test you can plug a servo into the gain channel of the receiver. Check if the servo moves with transmitter gain changes. Are you using Aux2 for the gain connection?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Yes, This is Futaba GY520. The gyro is set up on RUDD/DR switch. I have it at 75 now and the tail wags. OK i will try the servo in the gyro gain too make sure It's on the correct channel. I will go over everything and make sure i have it correct.

Thanks for the tips.

John