HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Discussion
Need help setting up Tricopter with Spektrum DX7s with gyros

Hello everyone. I'm "new" to the RC hobby and have just built a tricopter using 4 HK 401B gyros. I'm not using a KK board. I built the tricopter using the guide from RCExplorer.se but my new Specktrum DX7s with 8 channels is different from David's 7 channel he used in the build log. I have no idea how to connect the wiring according to his log with my radio. My receiver does not specify channels, only Thro, Aile, Elev, Rudd, Gear, Aux1, Aux2 and Aux3. I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated. you can check out my somewhat build log at the link below. Thanks in advance.

http://easyrider717.com/tricopter-build/
Easyrider717 is offline Find More Posts by Easyrider717
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Guess I will delete this post. Seems like out of 110 views, someone would have some advice.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
Old Fogey-ish
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,114 Posts
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/7c-manual.pdf page 14
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:28 AM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,114 Posts
Did that help?
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Some what helpful. I decided to switch to the Hobbyking KK board v2.1 and have just flashed it with firmware 1.6. Flashed fine. But still have one question. I remove the 3 main gyros to the speed controllers but do i still need the gyro to the servo or not. Don't think I do but not sure. Please help.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:27 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider717 View Post
Some what helpful. I decided to switch to the Hobbyking KK board v2.1 and have just flashed it with firmware 1.6. Flashed fine. But still have one question. I remove the 3 main gyros to the speed controllers but do i still need the gyro to the servo or not. Don't think I do but not sure. Please help.
No , the KK board yaw gyro controls the yaw servo . Here is where I got help setting mine up. http://www.rcexplorer.se/Educational...guide/tri.html
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Found the article on that. Thanks for the reply. I have everything completed and put together. I flashed the Hobbyking KK board 2.1 with the 1.6 firmware. Worked fine. Binded receiver with my transmitter, Spektrum DS7s, all went well. Motors and esc's zeroed and working. But, I go to a little under mid throttle before it starts to lift. Either the right or the left motor will burst with power and tries to flip over. Any ideas? I have adjusted the gain with the roll and the pitch both directions, but no luck, still flips.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
More testing this morning and realize that the left front and tail motors are throttling up and down with the stick movements correctly. The right front motor is not. The rpms are not the same as the other two and does not respond with left ail stick movement. This is keeping me from flight and it keeps flipping over to the right. I have looked and read all the post and have tried everything I can think of but cant correct the problem. Do I need to upgrade the firmware or keep v1.6. I'm using the HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA). Will it handle anything above the v1.6 firmware? I have zeroed the throttle and esc correctly. This RC stuff is greek to me so I really need some help with this KK board. Here is my complete setup I am using.

2213N 800Kv Brushless Motors
APC 10x4.7 Slow Fly Propellers
Turnigy MG930 Digital Metal Gear Servo
Castle Creations Thunderbird 18a Speed Control
HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA)
Spektrum DX7s with AR8000 receiver
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/552/img5291f.jpg
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4431/img5292j.jpg
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5082/img5294b.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2500/img5293j.jpg
Last edited by Easyrider717; Apr 08, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Update. Reflashed the firmware. Tried the v2.1 but could not get a response from the board. Went back and reflashed with v1.6 again and everything seems correct but the roll is still reversed. I tried to reverse the roll by lowering the roll pot to 0 and by moving the stick to the right but it won't reverse. Tried moving the stick to the left and the KK board starts a fast blinking and never stops. Have tried several times but will not reverse. I've read my book but can't find out how to reverse the roll in the transmitter. Will keep trying.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Update again. Just for the heck of it I swapped the M1 and M2 esc wires and it seems to be working. Going out for my 1st hover now.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
From the photos it looks like you had the front motors swapped. You should have M1 = front left, M2 = front right.

I use a DX6i and had to reverse AILE, ELEV and RUDD channels on the TX, but I think it depends on which KK board firmware you are using. Check the manual diagrams for how to navigate the menus. You need the REVERSE menu. On the DX6i it's ADJUST LIST > SETUP LIST > REVERSE.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
At first I had M1 = front left, but then I swapped them and seem to be working correct. Just tried the first hover flight but not luck. The thing just keeps flipping over. From the sound of the motors they are the same rpm's but seems like one or the other of the front motors just takes off and then flips. The right stick, (roll) or (ail) seems to be too sensitive. The least little bit of movement acts like it is in full speed. How do I adjust this.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:34 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider717 View Post
At first I had M1 = front left, but then I swapped them and seem to be working correct. Just tried the first hover flight but not luck. The thing just keeps flipping over. From the sound of the motors they are the same rpm's but seems like one or the other of the front motors just takes off and then flips. The right stick, (roll) or (ail) seems to be too sensitive. The least little bit of movement acts like it is in full speed. How do I adjust this.
Try putting the wires back to M1 front left , M2 front right , and then reversing the roll gyro ( how to do that is in the same RC explorer set up guide as above ) . On my tricopter , at first it wanted to yaw BADLY no matter what I did , so I reversed the yaw gyro , and that worked . But check for "correct motor speed with stick input" with masking tape on your motor shafts in place of the props to avoid flipping over . Also try setting your low rates to 50% ( although you'll have to arm your KK board on high rates ) and your expo to 50% to start with . It's a frustrating process ( I went through it ! ) , but you'll make it - just keep at it .
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:38 PM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
I also use the HK KK 2.1 board, but mine came with Minsoo 2.5 firmware which is a bit different. I'm planning to try KK 1.6 firmware though and compare.

From what you described in post #9, you were actually reversing the yaw gyro. To reverse the roll gyro, set the roll gain control to zero, turn on KK board (TX sticks centred) and wait for the LED to give a few rapid blinks. Then move only the aileron stick, and the LED should blink rapidly. Switch off the board, set the roll gain to 50% and then test the gyros again. You might need to reset the yaw gyro direction if you accidentally changed it.

You can test the gyros by removing the props, holding the copter in your hand and spooling up to 1/4 throttle or so until the motors are all spinning. Then tip it forward and the rear motor should slow down. Tip it left and the left motor should speed up and the right motor should slow down. Twist the copter to the left and the tail motor should tip over to the left. If you're brave and careful, you can check the gyros with the props fitted and holding it firmly in your hand, and you'll feel the copter resisting your movements.

I just re-read your equipment list and I see Castle Creations ESCs. I seems that these have an automatic self-calibrating throttle range and are not recommended for multicopters. See post #1 in the the tips and info thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355 for a list of suitable ESCs. Castle Creations is in the "do not use" list, so maybe you need to look for something different. I'm using Hobbywing/Funfly 18A ESCs which are similar to the Turnigy Plush ones. These all allow you to manually set the min and max throttle points, so you get consistent motor speeds.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Thanks mattcro. I have reset everything and it was the "roll" pot I set to zero and moved the right stick to the right. Nothing happened. Reset, then tried moving the right stick to the left and that"s when the board light started blinking rapidly and never stopped. Reset and nothing changed. The speed controllers must be the problem then. Like I said, just before mid throttle either the left or the right motor will speed up and cause the flip. Will have to order the plush or the FunFly 18a's you mentioned. Where did you order the Hobbywing/FunFly 18's from. Have been trying to get the 18a's from HobbyKing now for about 3 weeks but they are always on back order. Back to the drawing board. I did consider removing the board and going back to the gyros which I had no luck with when I started. Anyway, will stick to the board and try different esc's. Thanks.