Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
Discussion
how does this hacker MM work

http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...tor-Mount.aspx
or
http://www.espritmodel.com/aluminum-mount-a50.aspx

I am trying to mount a A50-12S motor in an airplane currently designed for a 4-stroke. So I am looking for a quick and easy motor mount for the A50.

I want to put this new motor mount on the current firewall and adjust it so the prop is at the correct location.

1) do i have to mount motor within the cage or can I mount it on the front of cage.
2) what range of adjustment do I have..i see 4.5 to 5.5 is that it.

thanks..
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...tor-Mount.aspx
or

I am trying to mount a A50-12S motor in an airplane currently designed for a 4-stroke. So I am looking for a quick and easy motor mount for the A50.

I want to put this new motor mount on the current firewall and adjust it so the prop is at the correct location.

1) do i have to mount motor within the cage or can I mount it on the front of cage.
2) what range of adjustment do I have..i see 4.5 to 5.5 is that it.

thanks..
1) Either

2) Adjusts, from 4.5 to 5.5, in steps, by using the different holes in the sides. I don't know the hole spacing so don't know the change in distance for each step.

Have you considered standoffs? Might be a cheaper way to go.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
standoffs?

are they solid enough?
can you point me to a source.?
it looks like I would need a standoff of about 2 7/8 to 3 inches
like these:?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
I think this will do the trick..

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=GPMG1255
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:48 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,299 Posts
Stand offs are used on some big gas and electric set ups.
Can be bought if you want fancy, or DIY.

Mount an X mount on the motor, 4 bolts long enough to give you your length.
Most use nylon spacers (Lowes or Home Depot)
http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDi...d=10051&rpp=24

Insert bolts through the X mount, install spacers on bolts, Screw bolts into blind nuts on the firewall. Done. Add / subtract spacer thicknesses to adjust your thrust angles.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:15 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,014 Posts
The Hacker mount has the rear bearing and it's really best to use this if you can.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
The Hacker mount has the rear bearing and it's really best to use this if you can.
i just do not see how one uses the bearing.if i mount the motor on the front part, the shaft does not look long enough to reach the bearing.
it would be nice to see pictures of a motor mounted in the motor mount in the different ways you can mount it.

thanks again..
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:10 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,014 Posts
There's only the one way to mount the motor in the Hacker mount and that's IN the 'cage'. That way, both the front and rear of the motor are supported. If you wanted to mount the motor onto the front of the cage, as you can with other motors, then you'd have to reverse the shaft and that can't be done with the A50.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:54 AM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
There's only the one way to mount the motor in the Hacker mount and that's IN the 'cage'. That way, both the front and rear of the motor are supported. If you wanted to mount the motor onto the front of the cage, as you can with other motors, then you'd have to reverse the shaft and that can't be done with the A50.
so in order to do that you need to add the prop adapter/shaft to the motor and install this added shaft into the bearing. Am I correct.?

On my katana, the A50 is only mounted/supported at one spot.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:05 AM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
683 Posts
This is the mount I built for my 89" AJ Slick
Fast Guy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:23 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,127 Posts
I recently bought my first Hacker -- an A60L -- and was disappointed to find it doesn't come with a rear X-mount like all my AXI and Hyperion motors do.

But the A50 series does come with an X-mount (in the UK at least) and the associated bolt-on prop shaft for the other end, so my preferred way of mounting it would be like in the picture in post #10. Just build an extension to the firewall (like the box in the photo) if necessary to keep the stand-off length to a minimum.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:00 PM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
I recently bought my first Hacker -- an A60L -- and was disappointed to find it doesn't come with a rear X-mount like all my AXI and Hyperion motors do.

But the A50 series does come with an X-mount (in the UK at least) and the associated bolt-on prop shaft for the other end, so my preferred way of mounting it would be like in the picture in post #10. Just build an extension to the firewall (like the box in the photo) if necessary to keep the stand-off length to a minimum.
yes the A50 comes with x-mount , rear prop adapter and clamp prop adapter(USA).
I am converting a 60 size plane to electric.
It turns out if I had the box extension(about 3in) that is in my katana, I could bolt A50 right onto that and all would be good. It looks like there might be a standard distance from firewall to prop line on all models of the same size so that if converting from gas to electric there would already be available a mount that fits the bill.
With that said all I need is a 3in standoff instead of building the box. Is a 3in standoff too much because I see that they sell them.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:34 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,127 Posts
I've never used more than about 1/2" standoff, but I guess 3" will be okay so long as it feels rigid when you've assembled everything. If it feels floppy at all, you'll have to add some stiffening somehow.

With my A60 mounting set I had to drill some extra holes, and cut the ends off the two side pieces, so I could shorten it to fit in my model because I'd built a motor box, which also doubles as a battery box, for the previous rear-mounted motor.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn