HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Discussion
Benefits of buying FlySky TH9x (v2) over Turnigy 9x (v2)

I've been doing a fair bit of research into the 9x's v2 and understand they're essentially the same radio, just branded differently.

Would I be right in assuming buying the FlySky with its JR compatible module (backpack thing) allows for greater flexibility in the future, with different modules, rather than having to do hardwire mods or run dual antennas?

I'm tossing up between one on ebay which is FlySky and appears to have the antenna mounted on the back module, and the Turnigy 9x from HobbyKing, which has the antenna mounted on top.

Are there any more noticeable technical difference (branding and splash screens aside)? Any difference in performance? Transmission range?

Also is the FlySky radio compatible with the Turnigy rx's from HobbyKing?

Cheers for any help Hopefully I'm getting the hang of this.
wwfisher is offline Find More Posts by wwfisher
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:25 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,451 Posts
More exactly Flysky is the original, they are the OEM of 9X, and Turnigy is a rebrand + that bad idea of hardwiring antenna to module.
Flysky comes also with older metal FM antenna, which could be useful as holder for a telemetry top screen
Some Flysky are black, Turnigy is gray.
Except the above, they are identical. Receivers the same, internals the same.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:31 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Cool, thats what I thought. So something like this... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FlySky-2-...ht_2876wt_1182

Would be able to take the FrSky 2.4 JR Module like this....http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_V8FR_RX.html in the future?

Just thinking about things like telemetry and rx based failsafe in future.

also the ebay link doesn't appear to have the older mhz radio antenna? Is that right?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:02 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,451 Posts
The receiver from Frsky combo in you link is not telemetry enabled. But it does failsafe.

Indeed, the eBay model has no older antenna, but a stopper.
You can get it for almost same price (82+24) from a proven vendor:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...ps2805003_mode
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:11 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Awesome cheers for the help. Do you know of any tutorials on replacing the older antenna with a stopper, purely for looks?

Also do you know of any examples of an external telemetry top screen for these? I'm starting to think that would be pretty cool
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:50 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,451 Posts
Unscrew the antenna, and use any other rubber object as stopper.

For telemetry displays:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=508

FLD-02, the cheaper, works plugged into the module from your link above, while DHT-U, the expensive, embed also a transmitter, so the module bay will be empty, and antenna on top as you can see in the picture.
Both solutions are same price, about $75 for transmitter+display+receiver, but DHT-U has some advantages, as SD card reader, logging feature, and allows up to 8 measured data to be arranged as you like in two screens, while FLD-02 has the single advantage the backlight, thus more readable even in full sun. FLD-02 is more for people who already bought Frsky stuff, DHT-U for people that start fresh and with non-modular radios.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:36 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
FlySky comes also with older metal FM antenna, which could be useful as holder for a telemetry top screen
Some Flysky are black.
The FlySky as sold now by LeadersHobby does not include the older FM antenna, but has the rubber stopper. It's black.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
fwiw , the flysky from hobbypartz is identical to the turnigy and has the aerial mounted on the TX not the module.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:29 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
fwiw , the flysky from hobbypartz is identical to the turnigy and has the aerial mounted on the TX not the module.
And its "out of stock"
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
17 Posts
Hey guys I know that Turnigy 9x and flysky th9x are both the same. I know that a lot of people are using Turnigy 9x with the new firmware ER9X. I spotted some FlySky TH9X-B on ebay and it says [ Upgrade ], Does it mean that FlySky TH9X-B is reflashed ? Those on hobbypartz are only mark as 9X
binh514 is offline Find More Posts by binh514
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:04 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binh514 View Post
I spotted some FlySky TH9X-B on ebay and it says [ Upgrade ], Does it mean that FlySky TH9X-B is reflashed ?
Nope. It just means it is the frequency hopping B-model flysky. "A" model was discontinued in 2010.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:22 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,972 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys I know that Turnigy 9x and flysky th9x are both the same. I know that a lot of people are using Turnigy 9x with the new firmware ER9X. I spotted some FlySky TH9X-B on ebay and it says [ Upgrade ], Does it mean that FlySky TH9X-B is reflashed ? Those on hobbypartz are only mark as 9X
All the regular 9x transmitters sold today use the same firmware (what HK called "V2"). There is no "reflashing."

The B refers to the RF module. It's also called V2 (confusingly), or 002. The two are easily distinguished because the earlier version (A, V1, 001) used a satellite on the receiver. The two versions are incompatible.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Apr 2012
17 Posts
hey guys I'm thinking of buying a Flysky, the new version is with the rubber stopper right ? And I would like also to order a Lipo for the Tx but not sure which will fit like this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html . And how do I do the mod, what connector I need to buy. Ok so I dont need to worry about the new Firmware ER9x, like you said All the regular 9x transmitters sold today use the same firmware (what HK called "V2"). There is no "reflashing.".

Thanks a lot for the help
binh514 is offline Find More Posts by binh514
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:19 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,972 Posts
Quote:
hey guys I'm thinking of buying a Flysky, the new version is with the rubber stopper right ? And I would like also to order a Lipo for the Tx but not sure which will fit like this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html . And how do I do the mod, what connector I need to buy. Ok so I dont need to worry about the new Firmware ER9x, like you said All the regular 9x transmitters sold today use the same firmware (what HK called "V2"). There is no "reflashing.".

Thanks a lot for the help
Best way is to remove the connector from the battery holder that comes with the transmitter and solder it (with heatshrink for insulation) onto the battery, being VERY careful to get the polarity right. The red wire should be on the center connection.

Note that if you try to use a 2s LiPo battery, it is possible to plug the balance connector into the transmitter and destroy the voltage regulators and other parts!

Best to avoid LiPo altogether and use either 8-cell NiMH or this battery:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

It's LiFe chemistry, which is MUCH safer than LiPo and which provides the perfect voltage: 9.9. A LiPo will give 12.6v initially and stress the transmitter. It's also very cheap. Note that the black connector on this battery can be plugged safely into the 9x but is not very secure. Better to use the connector from the battery holder.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,451 Posts
+1 for LiFePo4 ! ^^^