HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:09 AM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
Gallery
Revel Gato

Just some photos of my not finished gato.
It is a work in progress
I know some of the photos are a little blury
I will re post some new later
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
More photos

And a few more
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
Gato Pixs

Ok and the last few
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Looking good. Do you trust the guns to hold up to the stress of water force when underway? Did you get the Caswell fitting kit? Are you going to weather the paint or does the Captain make his men upkeep the hull even when they are submerged? Those pics give me a lot of insight as to cutting my sub. Since the first cut is the deepest, I don't want to mess it up.
HeliBeast is offline Find More Posts by HeliBeast
Last edited by HeliBeast; Apr 01, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
I am not worried about the gun & fittings It will not be going fast enough to really be a problem
I did not get the caswell fitting kit, I make all my own parts except for the seals that I get from mikes subworks OH and the electronics. THe hull will weather itself over time and look natural, my 1/96 FFG looks great!!!! Don't forget to do the all the holes in the bottom
There are a lot of them Take you time.
Jcopter
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
It is good to here that about the weathering, I wasn't planning on doing it. The Captain is such a A-hole that he makes his men paint it underwater. I knew about the holes on the bottom and that is great, when I cut and installed the wood strips on my BlueFish it took all day, that was a great day. You have me rethinking the WTC, ass long as it can be removed from the top. Did you use the original diveplanes and rudder? I read that they need to be enlarged.
HeliBeast is offline Find More Posts by HeliBeast
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
I used all the original parts but used brass rods or shims for the ruddar & diveplanes. Just the way dave merriman did his first one. If you do a search you will see his orig cobal reports. I just did not want to split mine down the center, as dave did his. I found that it was able to accept a 2 1/2" WTC just by cutting away some of the top.
Jcopter
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
Western , Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2009
379 Posts
Looks great!

Marc
crowman17 is offline Find More Posts by crowman17
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
Thanks
Still A Work In Progress...
But I keep on pluggin along
Working on the WTC getting the servos installed and lining up the pushrods
Jcopter
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
Just an update on the WTC for the Gato, I have finally got the motor and the pushrod exits done to the endcap. It took a little while to engineer where all the parts where goung to go and line up. Had to be sure to get the holes in the rite places. But I now can continue and move on with all the other electronics that need to be installed in the WTC. I think it is looking good and I'm quite pleased with the progress so far. Now for the pump & Bladder section then the battery aft section.
Jcopter
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:11 PM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
So JC, if im looking at this right, your showing an over/under motor/twin drive for the 2 screws and the 2 pushrods for the planes and rudder, correct? Are you going to put the rx., pump, esc, apc, and contactor/switch for the pump all ahead of the of the servos shown or seperated with some ahead of the wtc/ballest tank in a third wtc? Also, wheres the links and systems/servos going to go for the forward dive plans? Also, there is the option of wet storage for batts.
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
Hey Omike
the wtc you see is just a test piece I have a 24" length of the tubing, I am just using this temporary. The 2 screws are Horizontal and the 2 rear Pushrods are in the vertical plane one for the ruddar and the other for the dive planes.
as to placement after what you see here, will go the reciever, sub safe, ESC, then the pump area with the valves ans switches, then the bladdar and finally the battery and the other servo for the forward planes as well as the on off switch
This was just the begining of a long process of enginerring the spaces and layout of all the parts it takes some time to figure the final spots for all.
Hope this helps some
Jcopter
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Jack
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
I have a Gato sub that's not finished yet. I've been having allot of trouble getting the bow drive planes to rotate. It's beebn on the shelf for a couple years. Been thing of doing another Gato. I have a second Sub Driver.

Keep up the good work. I'm going to check your progress and see what I can learn.

Jack
pjdog is offline Find More Posts by pjdog
Old May 03, 2012, 10:26 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,378 Posts
Nice looking build, looks like you went with the boxtop colors. I have a Gato I am hoping to start within the next few weeks.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old May 03, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
Yes, Yes I did go with the stock Colors
Have fun with your build... I am still working on mine
but it looks gooooood
Jcopter