HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Help!
Noob with Witespy issues after just 2 flights, NEED HELP

Ok, I posted this 2 days ago (I though) but I came back to see responses and it doesnt show that I posted it.

got my witespy (batteries, radio, charger, all from Paul), did a bunch of sim, was ready to go out and fly. here is what happened.

flight 1) one the first battery, everything was fine, very simple flying a few bumps along the way. when the battery went out and I change it to battery #2 I just tapped on the throttle and it rolled over on its side breaking 1 prop.

flight 2) a few weeks later, had to order props. battery #1, no real issues, the quad seemed not nearly as balanced and stable with the new props. ran the battery out with short low test flights. On battery #2, just tapped the throttle and the copter rolled backwards onto it's top. did it again to test, same result, held It over my head and touched on the throttle, I could feel it torque backwards like crazy. It seems that the front two props are getting all the power.

I'm not 100% sure it happened on the same battery both times but what else could be causing this?

I have done a balanced charge every time and dont' know what else could be causing this

once this problem is solved (hopefully easily) how do I re balance the quad to be as stable as the first flight? right now it is always tilting forward, when it's not flipping over backwards.

thanks in advance for any help
fullpotential is offline Find More Posts by fullpotential
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:31 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
The vibrations may be due to out-of-balance props. Quad props really need to be balanced using a magnetic balancer. Order plenty of extra props, you'll go through a bunch learning to fly a quad. Make sure you get the correct rotation prop on the correct motor.

I don't know why, but sometimes when I arm my MultiWii-based quad it'll do what you described (try to flip on take-off, two motors revving higher than the other two). When it does it I unplug the battery and plug it back in making sure the quad is nice and level when I do so, and it's fine after that.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Inverted Electric Flyer
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Jan 2004
502 Posts
Also, try to get in a habit of calibrating the gyros before each flight. To do this on a multiwii based FC:
While the quad is on the ground, battery plugged in, controller on:
1. left rudder (to unarm the motors)
2. hold down elevator and left rudder
3. you will see a green light on the FC blink a few times
4. right rudder to arm motors
5. throttle up to get quad off the ground.
tmproff is offline Find More Posts by tmproff