HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:03 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Yippee!
Wattage Turbo Vector, finally got it!

It finally arrived, My new Wattage Turbo vector. This plane looks like it will be fun to put together and fly. Has anyone put one together? I will try to include some pics in case anyone is interested. I think this is going to be a great plane and EDF trainer.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:40 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
The contstruction looks a bit complicated but nothing insurmountable. I've seen one fly, it went pretty well with the stock setup. If I got one I'd paint it up like a RFB Fantrainer, there's lots of color schemes out there for it. The graphics it comes with look rather gaudy and toyish. Kinda like those teenage console game magazines with all the bright neon colors...gives me vertigo! The German airforce has some fantrainers that have a camo scheme, looks sharp.
Ed Waldrep is online now Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:02 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
I'd like to see pics of it.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Oct 23, 2003, 02:16 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
I've been eyebaling this one eveytime I go to Hobby People. It definitely needs a diferent paint scheme. But, maybe I'll have break down & buy one. I'm interested to get a full flight report.

-Mark
Racebelly is offline Find More Posts by Racebelly
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:35 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
I got started on the Vector last night. This is an overview of my mess. Can see the foam fuse and some of the misc. parts.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:44 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
The Vector construction is unusual to me. The re is a plastic molded sheet contains several parts that must be cut out and attached to foam to create structure/strength. The cut out lines are very hard to see and it is a time consuming project. I decided to get it all out of the way last night, even though I will not some of the parts untill later.
Last edited by Lightnin; Oct 24, 2003 at 09:47 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:56 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Here is a close up of the middle of the tail section I completed last night. The large hole with the wires sticking out is where the EDF goes. You can see the plastic pieces on the edges. The motor wires and servo extension are concealed under the plastic on the bottom and top respectively. The binder clips are used to keep pressure on the plastic while the epoxy is setting (per the instructions). This kit seems to be very complete, the instructions can be a little vague but the pictures make up the difference. I agree about the graphics/color scheme. But, I have built one other Wattage plane and found that (for me) it is hard not to use the graphics included because they actually add strength. Along with cutting out all of the plastic pieces this much of the project took about 3 hours.
Last edited by Lightnin; Oct 24, 2003 at 09:59 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:50 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Well the decals might add some stregth if you put them on under tension but those wings are the same as the Mig 15 I fly and there's no decals on them and they've held up fine.

Here's a color scheme from a full size fantrainer, or is that a model, or just really tall grass?
Old Oct 24, 2003, 05:27 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Thats really good to know can you tell me how the wattage foam wings hold up to model paint? will it melt them?. I am also worried about the foam fuse. I would love to paint it insead of using the decals if it won't cause more problems. That is a beautifull model too.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 05:34 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Use the Testors model paints, the sprays are ok on foam except for maybe the buffing metalizer paints. The plain label Testors and the Model Master series are ok for foam, and they have a nice color range. The Tamiya sprays or ok on foam as well as has been mentioned before.

You don't want to use glow resistant type paints. A lot of them eat foam.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 05:41 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Hmmm. I just happen to have some metallic flake purple and lime green Testors. Sounds bad but it actually makes a nice contrast. Thanks for the info. We will see how motivated I get.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 05:49 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
And depending on how much you plan to power it later on think about a carbon spar.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Oct 27, 2003, 08:18 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Here are some views after about 6 more hours of build time.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 08:22 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Old Oct 27, 2003, 08:23 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts