HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Question
What do you do when you're between props?

So here is my dilemma. I have a power system that isn't giving me the watts at the prop I want with an APC 14x7E. The 14x8E gives me the watts I want but the pitch speed is too high IMHO for a Telemaster. Nobody makes a 15x7. What do I do? APC makes a 15x6 glow prop. Should I try that?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Sorry, but APC makes a 15x7E .

What C batteries are you using, and what is their condition?

Getting new batteries of a higher C might just do it.

Also, you might try cutting down a 15" prop. It gets a little tricky with bigger props, but it can be done.

Hope this helps.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:32 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Also try the XOAR wood props for electric. They have more "bite", better acceleration, in my experience.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:41 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,269 Posts
In my experience with trainer style models apparently excessive pitch speed doesn't seem to hurt, and in fact for a well overpowered model, seems to result in better part throttle, ie reduced rpm, performance. I'm talking 75-83 (12x10, 13x10) mph pitch speed for an LT-25 - seems nicer overall than the 50-60mph mark (12x6, 12x8). Even with the prop supposedly stalled for a while takeoff is never an issue - I only use 1/2 to 2/3 throttle anyway.

If it flies OK with the 14x8, ignore the pitch speed
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:13 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,765 Posts
A 15x7 is probably not a practical option anyway. It will take quite a lot MORE power than a 14x8. 15x6 is roughly equivalent on power but then you'll have even less pitch speed.

It sounds like you're doing all this theoretically on the ground. I'd suggest flying the two props you have a few times and seeing if you really have a problem.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:49 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
Sorry Mr Wiz, but why are you measuring watts to determine how a plane will fly ?

"I have a power system that isn't giving me the watts at the prop I want..."

I always thought that was the wrong way to go. Having the right prop give the right sort of flight style for the model, I have always thought was the better way to go. The wattmeter is just a safety device to check you wont let any magic smoke esc.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Sorry, but APC makes a 15x7E .

What C batteries are you using, and what is their condition?

Getting new batteries of a higher C might just do it.

Also, you might try cutting down a 15" prop. It gets a little tricky with bigger props, but it can be done.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Ok I see it on the APC prop list but it seems nobody stocks it. I'll give APC a call.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:32 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Sorry Mr Wiz, but why are you measuring watts to determine how a plane will fly ?

I always thought that was the wrong way to go. Having the right prop give the right sort of flight style for the model, I have always thought was the better way to go. The wattmeter is just a safety device to check you wont let any magic smoke esc.
You're right, Ray. I haven't flown it yet and I intend to fly them both to see which I like better. I may well have to live with one of those although I now see a 15x7 on the APC web site. We'll see
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:09 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post

+ This
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog