HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Discussion
Michele Malkin's "Twitchy" and Business Insider post phony picture.

This photo, linked to an LTUP thread here, was published by Business Insider as being a photo of Martin and Zimmerman, problem is, it is not Martin, the photo came from a white supremacist site originally.

Business Insider pulled it when it was shown to be erroneous, and Twitchy issued an apology to the family.

This is the media issue discussed earlier, and it shows a direct connection from a white supremacist site to what is purported to be a "business" site and a stronghold of right wing media, the work of Michelle Malkin.

The phony photo is the one in the lower left quadrant.

This is why sources are questioned my friends.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=101

Story:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...155103512.html

Twitchy apology:
http://twitchy.com/2012/03/25/why-te...t-for-justice/
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cat Rack
MtnGoat's Avatar
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
they all retracted, so what's the issue? questioning a source is fine.

using questions to avoid the basis of the assertion when you cannot actually show the source is wrong, quite another matter. In the other thread, the black on white crime statistics are in fact correct, and many pages of argument and griping about the source didn't change this.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,550 Posts
Is his twitter for real
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
they all retracted, so what's the issue? questioning a source is fine.

using questions to avoid the basis of the assertion when you cannot actually show the source is wrong, quite another matter. In the other thread, the black on white crime statistics are in fact correct, and many pages of argument and griping about the source didn't change this.
I am sorry, but journalism, even personal integrity puts the onus of proper vetting of sources and the information posted on those who actually bring it to the light.

My point is that this vetting is often absent from many sources, and those sources become questionable.

As to the justice department statistics, there is no bearing on this case from those statistics, as to what happened, and whether justice has been or will be served.

Beyond that, the links were to similar white supremacists, nativists sites and here we see a link to misinformation from one of those type sites, calling that into question was certainly valid, and in fact a third party quickly found a direct link to the DOJ site and the statistics, basically doing the homework for those who just want to post whatever they feel everyone should accept, regardless of the source. I can only reason out that the issue is laziness in vetting sources, and not some burden on me to verify information from highly biased and to me, highly objectionable and offensive sites.

In other words, a policy of less whining and more vetting will save us all time and move the discussion along, without yet, two more posts wasting time discussing a persons threshold for the validity of information.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
It seems to me that the news media screwed this one up from the start. They used a picture of Zimmerman that would put him in a bad light by using a "perp" picture instead of a more recent one. Then they used a 3 or 4 year old picture of Trayvon, that made him look much smaller and younger than he actually was. Obviously they were trying to steer public opinion in a certain direction. And, it HAS to be against Zimmerman.Unfortunately only one person really knows what happened. But the news media really has done their best to make Zimmerman look bad and Trayvon look good. Do you really think that is fair?
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
logan5's Avatar
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Malkin made is mistake, retracted the pictures and posted an appology. Certainly a better one than Media Matter's appology to Drudge ... and certainly better than Spike Lee's refusal to appologize for his "mistake".
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
It seems to me that the news media screwed this one up from the start. They used a picture of Zimmerman that would put him in a bad light by using a "perp" picture instead of a more recent one. Then they used a 3 or 4 year old picture of Trayvon, that made him look much smaller and younger than he actually was. Obviously they were trying to steer public opinion in a certain direction. And, it HAS to be against Zimmerman.Unfortunately only one person really knows what happened. But the news media really has done their best to make Zimmerman look bad and Trayvon look good. Do you really think that is fair?
Well, this particular media published a fake pic of Martin and a smiling pic of Zimmerman, in order to make Martin look bad and Zimmerman good. This is aimed at an audience just like the other way round, only here, it wasn't actually Martin.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,550 Posts
What happened with this photo is no different than posting a 5 year old photo of a 12 year old skinny boy. In effect anyway. Both FAILS
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Malkin made is mistake, retracted the pictures and posted an appology. Certainly a better one than Media Matter's appology to Drudge ... and certainly better than Spike Lee's refusal to appologize for his "mistake".
I posted the underlined part. I don't have any knowledge about the Drudge/Media Matters issue, and Spike Lee was certainly out of bounds for attempting to publish Zimmerman's address.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:31 PM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,550 Posts
Spike don't have to apologize now. Grandma lawyered up and is getting ready to bend him over

His twitter is transforming
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:34 PM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
Well, this particular media published a fake pic of Martin and a smiling pic of Zimmerman, in order to make Martin look bad and Zimmerman good. This is aimed at an audience just like the other way round, only here, it wasn't actually Martin.
You didn't have a problem with the picture of young Martin and the perp Zimmerman did you?
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
You didn't have a problem with the picture of young Martin and the perp Zimmerman did you?
Why try to make this about me? Personally, it is the merits of the case which I want to find out. I am sure all of us have pictures our mothers would hide, and others our mothers would present to the media....

There is valid information in the fact that Zimmerman was arrested for interfering with police, and domestic abuse, and the fact that in order to legally carry a weapon as he did, he had to have his record expunged. That goes to a history of his character and to violence. Showing his mug shot is valid in that sense, just as showing the pic of him smiling is valid as well.

Pictures are pictures. People who develop a bias from a picture or use that picture to determine if they think a person is guilty are not giving the issue proper thought. Justice is the goal here.

And no, I don't have a problem with any pictures being shown, as long as they are actual pictures, not photoshopped and in this case, certainly not pictures of someone else identified as Martin.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
I don't think very many people saw the picture that Michelle Malkin posted, I know I didn't and I keep up pretty much with the news, and she apologized for it as soon as she found out her error. EVERYBODY saw the first pictures, of that young innocent boy that was attacked by this big perp. I DO have a problem with that because it was obviously done to sway public opinion in favor of Trayvon and against Zimmerman. They should have at least used equal pictures. Of a big 17 year old football player and an overweight member of a community watch group.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:58 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
I don't think very many people saw the picture that Michelle Malkin posted, I know I didn't and I keep up pretty much with the news, and she apologized for it as soon as she found out her error. EVERYBODY saw the first pictures, of that young innocent boy that was attacked by this big perp. I DO have a problem with that because it was obviously done to sway public opinion in favor of Trayvon and against Zimmerman. They should have at least used equal pictures. Of a big 17 year old football player and an overweight member of a community watch group.
I don't disagree with your conclusion, and what I said earlier is that the media is giving the people what they want, in this, I think it is where we disagree. I don't think the media attempts to sway public opinion, I think they respond to it, it is how they sell advertising. Just like Malkin published this picture to respond to the opinion of those who feel as you do.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
We agree partly. I think that most of the media is very liberal and is pandering to a liberal audience. That is why they used the pictures they did.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Michelle Malkin ... "The War On Conservative Women" logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 18 Mar 09, 2012 01:01 PM
Sold SOLD PENDING FUNDS...Futaba 10CHG 2.4 dedicated TX and FASST RX's see inside.. crosby Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 5 Mar 04, 2012 04:40 PM
Discussion should/can I repair this? (crashed EZ*, pictures inside) emerge Foamies (Kits) 13 Mar 01, 2012 07:28 AM
Discussion Videos Peterīs Michel juninhodunai Fuel Jet Talk 4 Nov 24, 2009 10:31 PM