SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CT, Litchfield
Joined Nov 2005
25,022 Posts
Thanks for the review on ClearView. Reviews like that is what makes this thread a valuable resource and one stop shopping for those that are trying to figure out what Sim to get.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
There are two windows 7 vesions for Aerofly that can be purchased - usb game commander and usb interface cable version..what is the difference?
rwpeek is offline Find More Posts by rwpeek
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I'd say one comes with a controller, the other doesn't. I could be wrong.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
I have both Realflight and Phoenix. The advantage of the dedicated controller is:
1) Less wear and tear on your real (and possibly expensive) radio
2) You can leave it plugged in
3) You don't have to move your real radio it from its usual place. The tendency at least for me is to use things that are convenient and neglect things that aren't. This is convenient.

The advantage to using your real radio:
1) The knobs are all where you expect them to be doing what you expect them to do.

Personally, I keep a DX5E up by my computer for use with Phoenix. That keeps it convenient. Of course, that negates the advantage of having my normal radio, with the knobs where I expect them to be, etc.
I may as well add the point I made here as well. What you say is a perfectly logical conclusion to make if you're somebody who is already neck deep in the hobby; but to someone new, who needs to find the money for a capable tx, the 'dummy' ones that come packaged with some of the sims seem like a complete waste of funds that could otherwise go towards the purchase of a tx that could be used both with the sim and an r/c model.
Pontius_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Pontius_Pilot
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Useless wear and tear of a real radio for a sim affects people new to the hobby as well as veterans.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Useless wear and tear of a real radio for a sim affects people new to the hobby as well as veterans.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just trying to move my funds towards getting an R/C model as quickly as possible ( ) but will probably take your advice and save myself some money in the long run. Besides, I doubt I'll have mastered the sim enough in the space of one pay cheque anyway to warrant rushing out and crashing a model. I did start out preferring Real Flight but then money calculations shifted me towards Phoenix.

Is there any truth in what people say on some forums that Phoenix is the better software for heli simulations?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius_Pilot View Post
Is there any truth in what people say on some forums that Phoenix is the better software for heli simulations?
That used to be the rumor. Not really so anymore, since Real Flight 6.0 was released.

That's one opinion. Guess what the other opinion is?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
Quote:
That's one opinion. Guess what the other opinion is?
Well they seem to be the two simulators that everyone says are best. And it's down to personal preference which is better. I do think Real Flight might be the better one though. I was just penny pinching; although that might end up costing me more by using a more expensive controller just to sim with. Info logged.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
OK I downloaded both demos. Real Flight was annoying in that I had no other choice than to install to my C drive; good job it wasn't a big file as my drive is partitioned so that C pretty much just houses my OS.

Both of the demos ran fine. Real Flight was more interesting given I could actually control (crash) the aircraft with my keyboard. Phoenix showed more of what the software has to offer but with no interaction.

I'm really stumped as to which to get. I'll see what the hobby store has to say. It may just result in me getting both.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Some people do get both. I know a guy who bought Phoenix for helis, and never used it again when RF6 came out.

Your hobby shop may have both of them on display for you to try. Then you can decide for yourself.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:21 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I have Phoenix and thought it was great sim then i bought RF6 since that day my Phoenix box has been gathering dust.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:56 AM
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
Quote:
Some people do get both. I know a guy who bought Phoenix for helis, and never used it again when RF6 came out.

Your hobby shop may have both of them on display for you to try. Then you can decide for yourself.
Well Hobby Stores in Camden has Real Flight in stock whilst Al's Hobbies in Hainault has Phoenix.

No doubt the advice I receive will lean towards what they have in stock. Unless the reason why Al's doesn't have Real Flight in is because it's sold out due to popularity. Hobby Stores don't stock Phoenix full stop.

The only thing putting me off Real Flight really is the dummy controller. I accept the point about it stopping wear and tear on your controller proper, but it still doesn't stop the feeling that you are getting a dummy controller foisted upon you with no choice in the matter about it. They should have an option for the software only.
Last edited by Pontius_Pilot; Mar 17, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
The only thing putting me off Real Flight really is the dummy controller. I accept the point about it stopping wear and tear on your controller proper, but it still doesn't stop the feeling that you are getting a dummy controller foisted upon you with no choice in the matter about it. They should have an option for the software only.
I think you're more bothered in the last 2 days about the "dummy controller" than I have been in the 11 years I've been using Real Flight. I have no idea why you feel that way.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Mar 2013
32 Posts
Quote:
I think you're more bothered in the last 2 days about the "dummy controller" than I have been in the 11 years I've been using Real Flight. I have no idea why you feel that way.
Because I'm used to choosing what hardware I think suits my needs.

Oh, and I'm not a Real Flight fan boy (yet)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Because I'm used to choosing what hardware I think suits my needs.
Well, the choice isn't entirely yours to make. You should try not to fall into that trap. If you like Phoenix, buy Phoenix. If you like Real Flight, buy Real Flight. Don't let the controller sway your decision. Sims are about performance and realism, not included controllers. It'd be a foolish decision to buy sim you didn't like or prefer because it didn't come with a controller that you think you don't need.