HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:58 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflying1 View Post
Murocflyer,
Very nice thread. Thank you.

Two things were mentioned in this thread. One had to do with being able to test the different flight sims. I was able to do so at a local Hobby Shop. RC6 and Phoenix. Both worked fine for me. The difference to me was price and price. Initial cost and upgrade cost. I went with Phoenix.

The other thing was Phoenix came with a Spectrum DX5e which is an actual transmitter.
Not bad. I can use it with my DLG. Personally, I'd prefer to use a xmitter that I will use while flying.

I've been away from the hobby for many years and want to get back into sail planes and pattern. I have two older computer futaba's and bought a Turnigy 9x. I used to program my gliders for camber, crowe, take off and landing configuration. Phoenix planes are obviously advanced enough to use these mixing functions so my plan is to use computer radios to practice without augering an expensive plane and get back into the grove. That will happen just as soon as I can find out what I need to be able to program the xmitter into phoenix sim on my computer.

Keep up the good work and Thanks again!
Bob
You are welcome Bob and glad to help. When I first started looking into getting a Sim there was nothing but a hodgepodge of threads to look through so it made comparing the different flight Sims difficult. With time, this thread should become even more helpful when folks chime in with their experiences of their Sims to help those looking for one.

Thanks again and when you figure out your Tx with Phoenix, please stop back in and share your thoughts on it.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFaria View Post
I would definitely stay away from Real Flight Basic
(I started a thread - well, actually two...- about this in the KnifeEdge forum)

The software is ok and does everything it is expected to do, but as far as I am concerned the dedicated controllers they sell with the Basic are jut plain crap. I had two of them go out of order in the span of one year, the first one less than two months after I bought it, and still covered by the warranty, on the RH stick, the second one about 9 months after I got the replacement (November 2011), on the LH stick

Both controllers were well cared for, used on a fixed place, and I am the only user.

As is usually the case, you get what you pay for...

G.
Thanks for stopping in and providing your experience and feedback on RealFlight Basic. I have never used it myself and I'm sure others have wondered about it as well.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Gentlemen,

I have received a PM concerning the length of this thread and was wondering if you wouldn't mind me cleaning it up by removing the posts that are not relative to reviewing the flight Sims. I'd like to remove the chit chat and other non-related and off topic posts. I won't do it if you don't think that is OK, but I'd like for this thread to focus on the topic. Doesn't matter to me, but for the sake of others, brevity might be the best approach.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Gentlemen,

I have received a PM concerning the length of this thread and was wondering if you wouldn't mind me cleaning it up by removing the posts that are not relative to reviewing the flight Sims. I'd like to remove the chit chat and other non-related and off topic posts. I won't do it if you don't think that is OK, but I'd like for this thread to focus on the topic. Doesn't matter to me, but for the sake of others, brevity might be the best approach.

Thanks,

Frank
It's funny, I had the same thought just before reading your post. Forums in general are difficult enough to find the answers your looking for, even scouring though with the search can be tiresome and fruitless sometimes. By all means, keep it to the point and clean house.

If there's an issue with deleting someones post, maybe an un-stuck sticky recycle bin thread is in order.

Definitely delete this (my) post.
Eves is offline Find More Posts by Eves
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:13 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Gentlemen,

Thanks,

Frank
I say delete everything except your first Post Frank.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 03, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Gentlemen,

Thanks,

Frank

I simply wanted to compliment you, and all the other [serious] contributors here, for a very informative, useful and helpful Thread/posts!

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Last edited by .quietguy; Aug 13, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Yes, please delete this post, too!
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
And this one
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:44 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Jafs...

Just Another Flight Simulator...

My 'contribution' here would be: Simblaster

Link: http://www.simblaster.com/servlet/StoreFront

Looking at their sim demos, seems like pretty impressive product(s).

... Lennie
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Aug 2012
116 Posts
You can delete this also I just wanted to say this is a very informative thread. Now I need to decide between RealFlight 6 or Phoenix V4.0 w/DX5e. Leaning towered Phoenix because it's a bit cheaper and comes with a real radio.
flameout00 is offline Find More Posts by flameout00
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameout00 View Post
You can delete this also I just wanted to say this is a very informative thread. Now I need to decide between RealFlight 6 or Phoenix V4.0 w/DX5e. Leaning towered Phoenix because it's a bit cheaper and comes with a real radio.
I'd get it if it came with the DX6i...
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Just Another Flight Simulator...

My 'contribution' here would be: Simblaster

Link: http://www.simblaster.com/servlet/StoreFront

Looking at their sim demos, seems like pretty impressive product(s).

... Lennie
Got it added. Thanks Lennie. If you have some experience with it, please share. This is the first I have heard of this Sim.

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2012
55 Posts
X-Plane 9 by Laminar Research

Hi everybody;

I have a question. The X-plane Flight Simulator program has model planes included in the Sim and I can fly them in the same way as any of the sims listed here but I'm using my standard flight sim controllers.
What I would like to know is can I hook my Lanyu 2.4ghz R/C controller (transmitter) to my computer to control the plane or is there another way I can accomplish the same result? I want to practice using the R/C controller of some kind and I already have what I listed above.
Or is there an inexpensive controller available to do the same thing.

Keep the blue side up.
flightsimmer is offline Find More Posts by flightsimmer
Last edited by flightsimmer; Aug 26, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Aug 2012
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
I'd get it if it came with the DX6i...
I've been thinking of getting just the Phoenix software for the $129 then buying the DX6i, but now it's getting a little to expensive. Close to the $275 range for the pair. About $100 more than the Phoenix combo. I am tired of wrecking my plane though, so need a sim bad
flameout00 is offline Find More Posts by flameout00