HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:25 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,904 Posts
And of course very few of the people offering their opinions have actually used ALL of the available sims for a reasonable time (and I don't mean 5 minutes in a shop or at a friends).

So although you see lots of comments like "I've used RF/Phoenix/Clearview/AFPD etc extensively and it's the very best sim I've ever tried" often a more honest statement would be something like "I've only ever used one or two of RF/Phoenix/Clearview/AFPD etc and I thought one of those was better than the other, probably".

So subjective opinions and not based on any valid comparisons...but what else have we got to go on .

For the record I only fly fixed-wing and I like Phoenix better than the free sims or Clearview(1/3rd of the price of Phoenix). But as I haven't tried the latest versions of most of the other high-end sims IMO that's not really a very helpful opinion .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
And of course very few of the people offering their opinions have actually used ALL of the available sims for a reasonable time (and I don't mean 5 minutes in a shop or at a friends). Steve
I've thought the same thing. You don't know what the experience level of anyone who states an opinion is. So then I think, ask the owner at the hobby shop. Problem with that is that he may only be aligned with one sim, or make more money on on sim than another. There's a guy local to me that only sells Aerofly. Guess what sims he thinks are junk?
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:40 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Reading feedback from others has never made sense to me.
And here I thought that is what these forums are all about.

When I am looking for a new motor for an airplane, I always check the motor section and see what are some good choices and bad choices. When I was going to buy a new radio, I found out that Spektrum had a serious problem with brown outs so I knew I had better stay away from them.

Shoot, when I first started in this hobby, based on the feedback from others, I bought a Easy Star as one of my first three trainer planes and based on all the negative feedback about Hobby King, I never, ever order anything from them.

You see, I base a lot of my purchases on feedback from others and I am sure that I am not alone in this opinion. Feedback on RCG, or many of the other forums I use helps me decide on many of the things I buy. So if I see many positive comments about RealFlight and ClearView, I may put them at the top of my list and figure out form those two what will meet my needs.

Make sense?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
How do you know whether the feedback you're reading is from someone with an agenda? As I stated in my previous post, I talked with a local guy who sells Aerofly. He said he loves Aerofly, and the other sims are junk. I asked him what other sims he sells. None. Now I know this guy has a bias for Aerofly, and a bias against all other sims. I don't know what kind of bias people here may have. I doubt there are too many people who can give a knowledgeable, unbiased opinion of the pros and cons of each sim. Many will say they can. Who to believe?

I've read enough posts about the best sim here that all of the sims have been mentioned by numbers of people as being the best. I don't see where the best sim question is any closer now to being answered than it was a year or more ago.

Weigh what others have to say, I guess, but be aware that they may have an agenda, or may not even know what they're talking about. Ford owners will always say they love Fords. Chevy owners will say they love Chevys. Each will not like the other.

Call me a cynic (I've been called worse), but that's the way I feel.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
How do you know whether the feedback you're reading is from someone with an agenda?
Who cares if a single person has an agenda. That's one person. I'm talking about dozens of people that owns a certain item who provides their feedback on that item. If I read a thread about RealFlight and 30 people say they like it and 3 people say they didn't (and provide their reasons why) I'm confident that I could buy RealFlight and be happy with it. Same goes for an airplane, motor, Rx and any other RC goodies I wish to buy.

I think many people are smart enough to realize when someone is trying to blow smoke up our skirts and who is being honest and candid with their feedback. If a person has an agenda about one thing or another, it becomes clear enough and folks simply ignore that person. Or at least do their best to do so.

Does that make sense?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I would prefer to stick with reviews like Consumers Reports does. Problem is, RC is such a niche market that you won't find a whole lot of material to read from unbiased sources. I guess you're stuck with opinions of end users, but I would bet the majority of them have only one flight sim. I know that's all I have. How could they compare them?

We're really getting nowhere in this discussion, though. To use a phrase I think is silly: we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
I'm not reading comparisons, I'm reading user reviews. And if nothing I said makes sense to you, then yes, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Post #1 updated with Sim reviews found on the web. As I find them, I'll post links to them.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
There's a new thread (soon to be deleted) that explains how to steal RealFlight. I've seen a couple threads like that in the year I've been here. Are there any threads that explain how to steal other sims? Maybe RF is the best!!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Post #1 updated with another review found on the WWW.

Please feel free to post your review of the Sims you own or have owned.

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:52 AM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Post #1 updated with another review found on the WWW.

Please feel free to post your review of the Sims you own or have owned.

Thanks,

Frank
Frank, Your FS One thread link (first page) is way .... out of date.
The current one on RCG is:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354209
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSelig View Post
Frank, Your FS One thread link (first page) is way .... out of date.
The current one on RCG is:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354209
Cool. Thanks for lettimg me know! I'll update post #1.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,458 Posts
Here's my review on RC Desk Pilot/BMI Flight Simulator. Didn't know that we had one of these threads, made this video quite a while ago:

BMI Flight Simulator Information (14 min 44 sec)

And my written review right here on RC Groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575405

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The FPV PROJECT II
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that info Dan!

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
I started useing Rc flight sims several years ago with FMS as most of you probably did. at the time I could not have been happier. Than I found RF 3.0 wow! what an upgrade. the user created planes and skins are fantastic in comparison, so I stuck with it for a while. I bought FSOne(have not even seen the new one) because they had all the Horizon planes I flew on it and found it to be lacking in comparison to RF. I used RF right up untill 4.5 and than I bough Phoenix and have used it ever since. Sure RF has a vest inventory of planes and the model moding is second to none, but when the cost is just way too much. Phoenix has as good if not better physics and graphics loads of sites and a resonable aircraft edit system (although the do need to include VPP and a prop resize tool). Clearview should be ashamed to charge what they do. Use FMS instead! That is my extent of RC flight sim use. All in all I have enjoyed Phonix the most. Just my opinion. Early in this thread some one asked what the value of useing his own radio was instead of a supplied transmitter. I believe in practicing with what you use. and if you are worried about wear and tear on your radio than you are much to rough with it LOL I have all of my radios collected over 20 years of flying and they all work perfectly. Anyone want to buy a bunch of futaba and JR fm's LOL
Jimbolina1 is offline Find More Posts by Jimbolina1