HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:08 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Your thread already discusses more than it's original purpose. To add computer performance to the same thread might confuse things. I'd make a seperate thread focused on computers. This one seems to be originally focused on differences between flight sims, but it's obviously your call.
Actually, it will be up to the folks who currently are using those Sims to share with us what their system details and how it is running them.

For me, based on the system requirements, my PC (which is relatively new) is only able to run the RealFlight Sim successfully.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
Hi,

you missed HELI-X (http://www.heli-x.net/index_e.shtml). It is a simulator dedicated to R/C helicopters which runs natively on Windows, Mac and Linux. It is quite popular in Europe but not in the States, yet. In the demo version you can use 4 helicopters and two airfields. Main focus is a realistic helicopter pyhsics and lots of different trainings.

Michael
MichaelS is offline Find More Posts by MichaelS
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:28 AM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
360 Posts
My Stats

Here is my machine specs on my main computer....I have 2 other computers that are lesser machines and run the same sims.

AMD Phenom II X6 (6 core) 3.30 ghz - overclocked to 4 ghz
16 gig DDR 3 memory
1 TB Hard drive
500 gig Hard Drive
Geforce GTX 560 w/ 2 gig memory Video
DVD-RW
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
25" LCD Widescreen

I run Clearview, Realflight 4.5, Pheonix, RCDP;. all these sims perform on my machines without any issues. On one of the lesser machines in Win XP I also run an old version of Reflex XTR.

Ken
Helos36 is offline Find More Posts by Helos36
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Hi,

you missed HELI-X (http://www.heli-x.net/index_e.shtml). It is a simulator dedicated to R/C helicopters which runs natively on Windows, Mac and Linux. It is quite popular in Europe but not in the States, yet. In the demo version you can use 4 helicopters and two airfields. Main focus is a realistic helicopter pyhsics and lots of different trainings.

Michael
Got it Michael, Thanks!

Ken, thanks for sharing your PC info. Heck of a machine you got there. I wish I had a Sim in mind before I bought my new laptop.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Added "Where to purchase" and some review threads found on RCG in post #1.

What else would be helpful for those looking to buy a Sim?

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Apr 01, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
What else would be helpful for those looking to buy a Sim?
Everyone wants to know which one is the best!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Everyone wants to know which one is the best!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
That's a very good question and the reason I am posting this info so folks can decide on their own the answer to that very question.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
so folks can decide on their own the answer to that very question.
I've made that very point once or twice myself.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
After hours and hours of reading, it looks like RealFlight may the best choice. I hear aerofly is a good quality Sim, but I see the same two people recommending it and not much "chatter" about it.

If I were to "rate" the Sims based solely from the the comments I read here on RCG, it would fall out like this:

1. RealFlight
2. Phoenix
3. ClearView
4. aerofly
5. FS One

Not sure if you can make any decisions on what to buy from the comments provided here in this forum, but it may help. I am actually quite surprised to see relatively few reviews on Sims while on the other hand, there are tons of review threads and articles about planes, batteries, radios etc. Wish I had the extra cash just sitting around and I'd get all 5 of them and try them out for myself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Unfortunately, rating sims is highly subjective once they get above a certain level. Unless you have the exact plane that is in the sim, you really don't know whether the sim does a good job of following reality or not. Even then, if the sim is not following reality very well, you are left with the question about whether it is because the physics on that particular plane were not setup well or if there is a larger problem with the sim as a whole.

I have my point of view based on what I fly (3d EPP foam 32" class mostly), with Phoenix and Realflight based on attempts to get the physics as close as I can with them. For that limited realm, I felt Realflight was clearly the better choice between the two.

I also much prefer Realflight because of the user created content (and I have created models for it). But again, that is an area that will be more important to some users than others.

I have tried ClearView in the recent past (last couple months) and did not care for it. I just downloaded the ClearView SE edition and flew the Apprentice which is the plane that comes with it. I was using my Interlink Elite controller which is what comes with Realfight as my controller. I was happier with what I was seeing this time around, for whatever reason. I also fired up a version of the Apprentice on Realflight. It was interesting to see the differences. I would have said both flew reasonably for a high wing trainer. But there were differences, and absent actually having the model, I could not tell you which flew closer to the real thing.

Any way, my point is that other peoples reviews are not going to be particularly illuminating in the area that is most important, how the planes fly. They can give you an idea about what features are there or are lacking, how well the sim does on the reviewers computer system, and any annoyances that may be there.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Last edited by Madratter; Apr 06, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Rating sims by chatter. Interesting.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Rating sims by chatter. Interesting.
It isn't much different from how Democracies choose heads of state. And we know how well that always turns out.

Then again as Churchill said, "Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
Unfortunately, rating sims is highly subjective once they get above a certain level. Unless you have the exact plane that is in the sim, you really don't know whether the sim does a good job of following reality or not. Even then, if the sim is not following reality very well, you are left with the question about whether it is because the physics on that particular plane were not setup well or if there is a larger problem with the sim as a whole.
Thanks for the reply. And it sure is hard to rate a Sim. Short of buying and trying all 5 to evaluate them side by side, I'm not sure what else to do except to listen and read feedback from others using those Sims.

There is practically zero feedback on aerofly and FS One so it is hard to get a good feel about those Sims.

It would be great to have folks share their experiences on the Sims they do own and what they think works well, but short of that, one can only read what they see is posted here and try to make an informed decision.

One can only wonder why there are not a lot of info/review threads on these Sims. Perhaps Sims are not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things compared to an airplane?

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
You should be able to get some hands on time for at least Phoenix and Real Flight at your local hobby shop. Those seem to be the ones hobby shops sell.

Reading feedback from others has never made sense to me. Would you base your decision to buy Ford v. Chevy based on what others have to say? Ford owners love Fords, and Chevy owners love Chevy. You won't hear a Chevy owner say too much good about a Ford, and vice versa. I guess it's unfortunate that you can't try the sims before yourself so easily. But to base a buying decision on what someone else's preference is just has never made sense to me. When I got RF back in '02, I saw it set up in a hobby shop. I think there was another sim set up, too, but RF just felt better to me. I've stuck with RF since then, and I have never had a reason to look back. If I had bought the other sim (and I honestly don't remember which one it was, maybe FSOne?), I would've probably been happy with it. Just because I like RF doesn't mean you should, too.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. And it sure is hard to rate a Sim. Short of buying and trying all 5 to evaluate them side by side, I'm not sure what else to do except to listen and read feedback from others using those Sims.

There is practically zero feedback on aerofly and FS One so it is hard to get a good feel about those Sims.

It would be great to have folks share their experiences on the Sims they do own and what they think works well, but short of that, one can only read what they see is posted here and try to make an informed decision.

One can only wonder why there are not a lot of info/review threads on these Sims. Perhaps Sims are not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things compared to an airplane?

Frank
I know there are at least some people who really like FS One because they believe it is excellent at simulating 3d flying with planes.

In the case of Aerofly, I believe it has its fans too, in large part because it will run on a Mac.

My own view owning both Phoenix and Realflight, is that I believe most people, if they had both, and if they flew planes, would prefer Realflight. But again, I know there are people on these boards who prefer Phoenix and who own both.

Jeff is right. If you can try out both, do so.

And you may as well download ClearView SE since it is free to try it with one plane (the Apprentice).

Also as a warning, I will say that evaluating these sims with keyboard input only as the controller is absolutely hopeless and tells you very little other than whether the graphics are acceptable to you or not.