SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
696 Posts
Discussion
Bird of Time Question Covering Question

I have a question for any BOT builder; how much covering is required to cover a BOT wing? Reason being, I want to purchase a BOT ARF and install spoilers and since I will be removing some wing covering to install the spoilers, I might as well recover the entire wing in a color of my choice and order the covering at the same time I order my BOT, but I need to know how much material to order.

Also, does anybody have a recommendation as to what covering material would be best for the underside of the wing to help resist punctures from landing in grass and weeds? As I have not covered a model in 30 years , all of my present planes are foam, I am not up-to-date on modern covering materials.

Thanks,

Jordon
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
533 Posts
Why recover ?

I used to have a electrified BOT ARF and liked it a lot until excess speed/wing flutter (pilot error) put it through a Eucalyptus orchard.

It is easy to install spoilers (one servo in each wing) without recovering the entire wing.

Just cut out covering from both bays where servo's will be mounted(upper and lower covering). Make small hole (about 1/2 inch square) next to each rib from servo bays to center of wings. Then carve small round hole in each of these ribs for servo wires. After you feed the servo wires from servo bays to wing center it is easy to patch these small holes.

I thought the cover job on my ARF was very good and I did not want to remove any more than required for spoiler installation.

I think the ARF is covered with MonoKote.

Craig
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:19 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,012 Posts
If your project involves removing a lot of covering from sheeted areas, you might want to reconsider. Can be very difficult if stuck down well in the first place.

There used to be this reinforced stuff called Micafilm that worked well on gliders, though it was harder to apply. I used Sig Stix It, which I liked better than Balsa Rite, to adhere it. Maybe you can still get it. Maybe some of that Coverite fabric would work, though it's far more flexible than Monokote. Since the BOT has a d-tube, this may be ok. And the high tech free flight guys have some kind of light fabric they use. Or maybe Icarex from the kite guys.

(The only one I've used is the Micafilm.)

micafilm here:
http://www.faimodelsupply.com/FAI6-COVER.htm
free flight stuff here:
http://www.faimodelsupply.com/starline-polyspan.htm
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
696 Posts
Thank you both for your responses. As I have not yet received my BOT, I do not know if the covering job was done nicely or not, but I just was thinking that I wanted a higher visibility color on the bottom of the wing as white is hard for me to see at altitude.
As for covering material, I guess I will just have to talk to the various reps at the Toledo show and see what other gliders have for covering to protect from landing in grass.

Jordon
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr