Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Rob Knox, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:20 AM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,760 Posts
Discussion
Ziroli 96"Zero Restoration, A New Project

G'day all,
I have been pretty busy lately with work, and my various RC aeroplane projects.
About 6 weeks ago, I got my World Models 60"Zero back into the air. It is powered by a GWS 75 Nitro engine, which can be fickle, but no in flight engine failures yet.
I have been flying it as often as possible, and now have 14 flights on it.
5 of which were this past Sunday.

Not too long ago, I swapped a 90" Tiger Moth for a Ziroli 96"Zero.
The model was originally scratch built by Luke Cullen, a well known builder and pilot of large RC aeroplanes here on the Darling Downs. He sold it to my mate Ray Baines, who flew it for an unknown period, before he had to put his RC models away for 8 years while he concentrated on his farm.

Anyway, I have the Zero on my bench now and am working on the wing. On its last flight, Ray belly landed it and ripped the belly tank off it, which damaged the underside of the wing a bit. I have cut away the broken sections and am in the process of replacing those sections with some new balsa.

I purchased a new 5 cell, 6volt power pack to run the servos today, and the original futaba servos came to life instantly with nary a twitch. I had to adjust the flaps to make them even on deployment, and the ailerons are fine. I've cleaned up the wing surface, and lightly oiled the Robart air retracts with some singer sewing machine oil. Everything is going well so far.

I will be posting here as I make progress on this, my largest project to date. From what Ray tells me, the model flies beautifully, so I'm very keen to get her into the air.

To power her, I have been given a Zenoah G62 which needs a replacement crank shaft. I've ordered that from my LHS and will be getting a suitably qualified individual to complete the installation of that part for me.

For now, I have a picture of my daughter sitting next to the model at Ray's place prior to it becoming mine.

Should any of you have advice for me, please feel free to offer it here.
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBD Dauntess Dive Bomber
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 09:49 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,413 Posts
Ok now one that big is begging for you to break the bank and go for a moki radial. Orientation certainly should not be a problem with one that big!

BTW the pilot looks like David Niven w/ a kamikaze headband.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe