HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:54 AM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
444 Posts
Contest
SVSS Monthly ALES Contest - Saturday April 7th

Rainy weather got you down? Well we’ve got the cure for what ALES you!

Announcing the Sacramento Valley Soaring Society’s second ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring) contest for 2012. The event will be on Saturday April 7th with a pilots' meeting at 9:30 and first launch at 10am.

Our monthly contests are open to pilots with a current AMA membership and to any plane that meets the ALES guidelines. The cost is $10 to fly and a hot lunch will be available for $5. For this event, Chef Kev is planning pasta, garlic bread and Caesar’s salad.

Scores will be submitted to the ALES League.

The event will take place at the SVSS flying field, Grasslands Regional Park, Davis, California. 3.8 miles south of I-80 on Mace Blvd. For directions, visit www.svss.org

Sheldon Smith will be this month’s CD. Email any questions you might have to aric_wilmunder@hotmail.com

Our ALES season includes contests on the first Saturday of each month from March until November, and our 2-day ALES event on September 22nd & 23rd.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:03 PM
Good for what ALES you
Joined Jan 2009
444 Posts
66 degrees. 5mph winds. 0% chance of precipitation. Looks like perfect weather.

Add to that pasta, caesars's salad and garlic bread. Sounds like a picnic.

Add dozens of planes screaming skyward, and you've got SVSS ALES!

Pilot's meeting at 9:30. First launch at 10am.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
702 Posts
Fun day gentleman. Learned a lot for my 1st contest.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
It was perfect weather and another great ALES contest. 0 to 5 mph winds and the Radians ruled the day. JT knocked me off the King of the Beer Cooler foamy crown and also wiped out all the unlimited sailplanes by capturing first place in Foamy class with a score 500 points above the best scoring open class pilot as well as winning the open vs. foamy flyoff at the end of the contest. We flew 6 10minute rounds plus the flyoff. Several times during the contest we were treated to flocks of white pelicans flying thru and joining us in big thermals. But in the end the Radians ruled the day.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:10 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,515 Posts
Just a great all around soaring day, couldn't have asked for nicer weather for flying the ALES event. Steve was right, Radian's really ruled the day. Of the six rounds, we had Radians skied out regularly to the point where this was a landing contest, with the unlimiteds not doing nearly as well. Couldn't have been just the thermal cycles, there's just something mystical about a flying beer cooler.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:24 AM
Good for what ALES you
Joined Jan 2009
444 Posts
Here are the round-by-round scores for Foamy and Open classes. Congrats to the top finishers, and a big thank you for everyone who came out to make this a great day.

There certainly was great lift and on multiple flights I would kick in full spoilers and begin the descent with three minutes remaining to be sure to get home in time.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:43 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,459 Posts
It is so much fun flying with you guys! Foam ruled the day! JT taught me a lot about flying that field and he is the only person I have ever timed for that wanted a count up to 10 minutes I snapped a few pics with my new phone.

Thanks guys lets do it again next month!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,515 Posts
Al,
Thanks for flying with us and timing for me. Yeah, that count up thing is locked in after 30 years of flying TD contests. Old dog, new trick, no! Oh yeah, a good cigar never hurts either!!!

JT
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:54 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,459 Posts
Hey Ron, this ones for you Thanks for the save JT

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Hey Ron, this ones for you Thanks for the save JT

Al
Just part of my job!!
JT
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, CA, Foresthill
Joined Apr 2007
20 Posts
Thanks to everyone who helped setup and teardown, as well as all the pilots that came to fly during a holiday weekend! We had a LOT of fun (6 rounds worth + combined flyofff) and we'll do it again the 1st Saturday of may - Put it on your calendars!

Sheldon Smith
SVSS ALES CD
nodlehs is offline Find More Posts by nodlehs