HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:27 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Discussion
Throws set, all control rods on!!!

Well, finally!

I opted to use 2-56 clevices from Dubro in lieu of the stock units, with 2-56 threaded rod. I used Dynamax aluminum servo horns on my aileron servos, due to the 82MG HiTec servo horns being a bit small/short, which concerned me for the throws.

Problem was that the clevices are around 1.6mm OD. No problem! I used nylon spray tube inserted over the clevis pins to act as a shim. Perfect fit! The intial fit was a bit snug, but once moved a few times, it loosened up nicely with almost no play.

The Dubro 2-56 clevices on the aileron horns needed to be shortened by about 1/4" to fit the servo horn-to-aileron horn length at zero deflection. I used dubro 2.1mm screws on my horns, since the E-Flite stock 10mmx2mm (OD) machine screws did NOT have enough length to clamp the horn backplate to the 1/2" thick ailerons! Thanks, E-Flite! Bad planning....

Anyway, it fit great. When storing the wing (I was planning an out of town trip for two days, and need to mount my electronics inside the fuselage now before hooking up the wings), the horn on one of the servos hit my hand and snapped off the aileron! This is the one that hooks to the second wing-set horns. Glad it happened now! I guess I'll have to do an upgrade like many here now, before flying... VERY weak lateral strength.

So, a few more fun things to do before flying. Glad that this happened now - no fun having ailerons fail in mid flight... The servo horns fit great. VERY robust with MAYBE 1/2mm or so of play. smooth motion though. I like this Dubro and metal servo horn upgrade - much more beefy. I left the Nylon 82MGs on the rudder and elevator though, and used the Dubro clevices and 2-56 threaded rods like on the ailerons. I like this - easy to set up and adjust...

Stay tuned...

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
to remove ads between posts