Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:34 AM
Australia, SA
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
I saw in the other thread a couple of guys recommending the Turningy 35-36C TR 35-36C

Is this the motor they were talking about? Because the most recent few reviews were saying they had chronic bearing problems and motors burning up in flight.
Even with the low price I can't look past this. Any comments?
Rohan_P is offline Find More Posts by Rohan_P
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan_P View Post
I saw in the other thread a couple of guys recommending the Turningy 35-36C TR 35-36C

Is this the motor they were talking about? Because the most recent few reviews were saying they had chronic bearing problems and motors burning up in flight.
Even with the low price I can't look past this. Any comments?
Very few here ever recommend anything by Turnigy...

The recommended is always the Omega 72g 1100KV Motor... it was specifically designed for the airframe because there wasn't a motor with its power and weight class... The next recommended motor is typically the Eflight 480 but it weighs more and you have to drill out motor mount holes since Eflight has an odd motor mount size.

I'd probably also consider the Motrofly DM2610-1100 as another alternate but riight now, I can't recall what others have said about it on this airframe...

Randy
rdsok is offline Find More Posts by rdsok
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero550 View Post
Got a question for you guys...
Maybe that is too much trim to counteract nose heavy, and with power off, that extra up elevator trim is causing the pitch up? Maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing?

Other than that, I love it - she rolls like there is no tomorrow.
Yup, you are. Your huck is nose heavy, neutral balance will fix the problem. Move the battery back a little at a time and re-trim the plane. Do this until it will fly inverted with little to no elevator input and your problem will go away. Keep it mind the closer to neutral/tail heavy the plane is balanced, the more authority the elevator will have during flight: i.e. twitchy.

As long as it is not excessively nose heavy the affects on performance will be minimal. My Edge is neutral and I love it. However, some people prefer a slightly nose heavy condition. My son prefers slightly nose heavy in his planes. The 71" A.J. Slick in post #44 is his, obviously it is not negatively affecting his flying.

Fly Low, David
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Last edited by Old Man; Apr 03, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:28 AM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsok View Post
very few here ever recommend anything by turnigy...

The recommended is always the omega 72g 1100kv motor... It was specifically designed for the airframe because there wasn't a motor with its power and weight class... The next recommended motor is typically the eflight 480 but it weighs more and you have to drill out motor mount holes since eflight has an odd motor mount size.
Randy
+1.
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:

The recommended is always the Omega 72g 1100KV Motor... it was specifically designed for the airframe because there wasn't a motor with its power and weight class... The next recommended motor is typically the Eflight 480 but it weighs more and you have to drill out motor mount holes since Eflight has an odd motor mount size.

I'd probably also consider the Motrofly DM2610-1100 as another alternate but riight now, I can't recall what others have said about it on this airframe...

Randy
In my opinion, I would do a motolfly or hacker, just from experience
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:

Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post

In this case.. IMO, the Omega is the best bang for the buck at 425w peak... the Motrofly just behind that at 350w followed by the Hacker at 300w... the Eflight falls in the rear with 275w... Oddly enough, the weights of each motor also go in that order from the lightest two being the Omega and Motrolfly at 72g, Hacker at 79g, and Eflight weighing in at a hefty 87g...

I do know a couple of guys mentioned having issues with the Omegas... but the majority have had nothing but praise for them.. I'm one that has never had an issue with the 3 that I own.

I do recommend the 3 Omega's ( when appropriate of course ), Motrofly's ( I only own one ATM, but love it ) and Hacker's. I've heard enough good reports about EF Torque's from people I trust that I'd also have no issue recommending them. In all cases, I look at the specs for each brand's motor and select which one I think best fits the need. Scorpions, I'm told are good, but out of my price range so I can't say one way or the other.

I personally don't care for EFlight's or Rimfires... even though I know some people like them, myself I think they are overrated and heavy for the power they provide. While I do have one Turnigy... it will be the last unless they change their QC a lot. The people that recommend Turnigy are only doing it based on price alone which I don't think is ever a good practice.

Randy
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:09 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
Or the Omega 72g since it was designed for this. I fly an omega 72 with a 12X6 and I have unlimited vertical.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:37 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Or the Omega 72g since it was designed for this. I fly an omega 72 with a 12X6 and I have unlimited vertical.
Omega 72g + 11X5.5 prop + Hyperion 1300 mAh pack = 4.5 minutes of pure magic.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:10 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
Omega 72g + 11X5.5 prop + Hyperion 1300 mAh pack = 4.5 minutes of pure magic.
How much vertical do you have? I didn't get much with an 11X5.5...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:18 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Enough to get out of trouble.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
The only issue with the Omega 72 and a 12x6 is dependant on your altitude where you live/fly ...

Lower altitudes where the air is thicker and/or warmer temps will have to have cooling runs... higher altitudes and/or cooler temps areas there are few problems... Using a 11x5.5 removes that restriction... on the otherhand... those at higher altitudes will want the 12x6 in order to get the vert performance since they are also having to "fight" thinner air.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:11 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
I have had both the hacker and the omega on my plane and I like the omega much better.
I'm using the gen ace 1550's.
With the APC 11.5/5 I'm measuring 28 amps at 10 .3 volts. I'm using an astro volt/amp meter.
My esc is the hobbywing pentium.
The Hacker use to squeal with a apc 12/6 prop. I changed the prop to an 11.5/5. and that ended that.
The omega seem to fit the cowl better and is also lighter.
For 40 dollars you really can't beat the omega
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:14 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Quote:
unlimited
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
unlimited
?????
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
In this case.. IMO, the Omega is the best bang for the buck at 425w peak... the Motrofly just behind that at 350w followed by the Hacker at 300w... the Eflight falls in the rear with 275w... Oddly enough, the weights of each motor also go in that order from the lightest two being the Omega and Motrolfly at 72g, Hacker at 79g, and Eflight weighing in at a hefty 87g...

I do know a couple of guys mentioned having issues with the Omegas... but the majority have had nothing but praise for them.. I'm one that has never had an issue with the 3 that I own.

I do recommend the 3 Omega's ( when appropriate of course ), Motrofly's ( I only own one ATM, but love it ) and Hacker's. I've heard enough good reports about EF Torque's from people I trust that I'd also have no issue recommending them. In all cases, I look at the specs for each brand's motor and select which one I think best fits the need. Scorpions, I'm told are good, but out of my price range so I can't say one way or the other.

I personally don't care for EFlight's or Rimfires... even though I know some people like them, myself I think they are overrated and heavy for the power they provide. While I do have one Turnigy... it will be the last unless they change their QC a lot. The people that recommend Turnigy are only doing it based on price alone which I don't think is ever a good practice.

Randy
all of my hacker motors pull way more then the advertised rating, and I have not had a problem, Same with my motrolfly, in my experiance the omegas offer good power, I have just had problems with durability.