SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Park if you post the build thread on your intro I'll delete mine that way our huckster brothers won't have to search pages for a build video.
I know having it here was a great help for me.

Aero were looking forward to a flight report.

I've tried balancing mine with the string on the wing tube and she shows tail heavy but she really flys well that way.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Park if you post the build thread on your intro I'll delete mine that way our huckster brothers won't have to search pages for a build video.

I've tried balancing mine with the string on the wing tube and she shows tail heavy but she really flys well that way.
I will now
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:29 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:

Build video and pictures are up
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
Maiden flight went fantastic. I put 4 batteries through it and felt confident from the very first minute. I am a total hack pilot, having only been doing this since last August (with an Ohio winter thrown in the middle). I trained for this by setting the throws in my PZ T-28 to max and thrashing it wildly. I also did some time on Phoenix flight sim flying the Kyosho Edge. Luckily, those two things seemed to help because I immediately felt comfortable with the "Slightly More than a Buck Huck".

It has no bad habits that I could find at speed. I haven't mastered high alpha flying yet so I can't speak for that realm, but this thing is a ball to just fling around at normal flying speed. It does everything so crisply, precisely, and quick. I see why everyone gets so addicted to these things.

I have my CG set right were they call for in the manual, slightly nose down hanging on the string. I may experiment with moving that back bit by bit. It wanted to go nose down when inverted. I was also having trouble getting it to hover, but that's due mainly to my inexperience. I can get the Kyosho Edge to hover on the sim, but my Buck Huck kept falling out. Definitely looking forward to practicing that, though.

I was concerned about the landing characteristics, I thought it would be very pitch sensitive, but it just floats in and remains stable all the way to the ground. One of my landings, I accidentally left it in high rate, but it felt pretty much the same, thanks to the expo. I set it up with all the recommended rates and expos and was very pleased.

Now I find myself daydreaming...about...a bigger one...what do I tell the wife?
aero550 is offline Find More Posts by aero550
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero550 View Post
Maiden flight went fantastic. I put 4 batteries through it and felt confident from the very first minute. I am a total hack pilot, having only been doing this since last August (with an Ohio winter thrown in the middle). I trained for this by setting the throws in my PZ T-28 to max and thrashing it wildly. I also did some time on Phoenix flight sim flying the Kyosho Edge. Luckily, those two things seemed to help because I immediately felt comfortable with the "Slightly More than a Buck Huck".

It has no bad habits that I could find at speed. I haven't mastered high alpha flying yet so I can't speak for that realm, but this thing is a ball to just fling around at normal flying speed. It does everything so crisply, precisely, and quick. I see why everyone gets so addicted to these things.

I have my CG set right were they call for in the manual, slightly nose down hanging on the string. I may experiment with moving that back bit by bit. It wanted to go nose down when inverted. I was also having trouble getting it to hover, but that's due mainly to my inexperience. I can get the Kyosho Edge to hover on the sim, but my Buck Huck kept falling out. Definitely looking forward to practicing that, though.

I was concerned about the landing characteristics, I thought it would be very pitch sensitive, but it just floats in and remains stable all the way to the ground. One of my landings, I accidentally left it in high rate, but it felt pretty much the same, thanks to the expo. I set it up with all the recommended rates and expos and was very pleased.

Now I find myself daydreaming...about...a bigger one...what do I tell the wife?
Congratulations! It's a great little plane re maidened mine last sunday. This plane is addicting
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:05 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Well I cracked my edge up tonight though it's not bad.
I switched my ailerons to high rate for a better knife edge spin. now upon coming out of the KE spin I went into a harrier. As I pulled on the elevator I crossed coupled to the ailerons
the wing dip right so I over corrected and the wing dipped left. I once again over corrected.
The plane did this little dance right up until the wing caught the ground cartwheeling her and busting my motor box up.
It is repairable and I hope to have her up and flying fairly quick
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:40 AM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
subscribed
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
That's a bummer, kerwin. It doesn't look too bad, though. Looks like you just have to straighten some pieces, glue and reinforce them a bit. Might not even have to cut any covering?

That's my biggest fear right now, getting crossed up recovering from a mistake. Probably better to happen on this than a 104" Slick, though, eh?

Fly Low (well, maybe a little higher :-) )
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:53 AM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Well I cracked my edge up tonight though it's not bad.
I switched my ailerons to high rate for a better knife edge spin. now upon coming out of the KE spin I went into a harrier. As I pulled on the elevator I crossed coupled to the ailerons
the wing dip right so I over corrected and the wing dipped left. I once again over corrected.
The plane did this little dance right up until the wing caught the ground cartwheeling her and busting my motor box up.
It is repairable and I hope to have her up and flying fairly quick
Man that sucks. It should be a quick fix. Mine looked worse; the repair pics are in the old thread. Get her fixed and back in the air.

David
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
Man that sucks. It should be a quick fix. Mine looked worse; the repair pics are in the old thread. Get her fixed and back in the air.

David
Yep.... Min looked worse; In other words.... My friend snapped it in half in a low knifeedge....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:19 AM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
If you look at the first and last pics in post 37, you can see the tape used to repair a tear in the covering from my biff.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:34 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
If you look at the first and last pics in post 37, you can see the tape used to repair a tear in the covering from my biff.
I put a pic of my repaired 41 up tomorrow... My quick tip... Check the screws on your cowl every few flights, I lost 3 of the 4 in some knife edge spins...
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:24 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Great pic's old man
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:30 PM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Great pic's old man
Thanks, my son, The Real Monson, took them during out last trip to the field. Below are a couple I took of his 71" A.J. Slick.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
Got a question for you guys...I'm getting more flying time on mine and I'm starting to notice that when flying straight and level, when I bring the power back, it wants to initially start climbing with no other input from me. I would think this indicates that it's tail heavy, but when I go inverted with no power change, I need to put in some down elevator to stay level.

I'd like to move my battery back a little to balance out the inverted flight, but I'm afraid it will worsen the first problem of climbing with power off. Any thoughts? Is the power off climbing thing normal?

I currently have it trimmed to fly level at 1/2 throttle and that required a few clicks of up elevator, and it balances at the factory recommendation of slightly nose low hanging on the string, if that helps the diagnosis.

Maybe that is too much trim to counteract nose heavy, and with power off, that extra up elevator trim is causing the pitch up? Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing?

Other than that, I love it - she rolls like there is no tomorrow.