HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2010
233 Posts
Discussion
Like A Gyro To Keep Wings Level During Take-Off-From-Grass

I am looking for an electronic gadget to help keep my wings level while I take-off-from-grass, by level I mean perpendicular to gravity.

Currently I have a HobbyKing Bixler (3rd gen EasyStar clone) (mono-hull without landing gear) and landing on its monohull is easy, however take-off-from-grass is much more challenging, if a wingtip dips into the grass then the plane pivots and tries to take-off in a new random direction. The desired magic device would provide input to a mixer going to ailerons/flaperons to help keep the wings level and to help prevent/recover-from wingtip dipping into the grass. A Heading¬Hold Gyro tied to the rudder might be helpful but the wingtip dipping into the grass is still the root cause of this takeoff challenge.

I am sure that other applications can be found for this magic device.

Does such a device already exist?
If any vendors need a beta tester, then I would happily volunteer.

Thanks
John
JD-Slow-Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by JD-Slow-Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:25 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
294 Posts
Hi,

Maybe the Feytech FY 30-a Flight Stabilizer ? Or the EagleTree Guardian ?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65527

-Paul
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:30 AM
United States, PA, Canonsburg
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
Have you tried hand-launching? I'd suggest adding landing gear before a gyro.
Skysailor is offline Find More Posts by Skysailor
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:25 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
*this* is the link I was looking for last night. Long day...

www.servocity.com/html/how_do_servos_work_.html
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,155 Posts
I bet it was
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623087
I think that's the thread you were responding to with that info
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDickey View Post
I am looking for an electronic gadget to help keep my wings level while I take-off-from-grass, by level I mean perpendicular to gravity.

Currently I have a HobbyKing Bixler (3rd gen EasyStar clone) (mono-hull without landing gear) and landing on its monohull is easy, however take-off-from-grass is much more challenging, if a wingtip dips into the grass then the plane pivots and tries to take-off in a new random direction. The desired magic device would provide input to a mixer going to ailerons/flaperons to help keep the wings level and to help prevent/recover-from wingtip dipping into the grass. A Heading¬Hold Gyro tied to the rudder might be helpful but the wingtip dipping into the grass is still the root cause of this takeoff challenge.

I am sure that other applications can be found for this magic device.

Does such a device already exist?
If any vendors need a beta tester, then I would happily volunteer.

Thanks
John
I've used aileron gyros for a Bixler taking off on grass. It was only marginally successful at best -- an only if the grass was very short. Gyros just can not counteract the force of anything with greater friction that air -- ie -- grass or water.

Hand launching is far more successful - and once you get the hang of it, not difficult at all. The key is don't THROW the bixler. If the prop is spinning the correct direction and facing the correct direction -- with a 3 cell battery it will fly right out of your hand with a moderate throwing motion. We have 5 of them in our family -- We fly the heck out of the Bixer.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2010
233 Posts
Thanks for the input

Paul_BB
Thanks for the pointer to the Feytech FY 30-a Flight Stabilizer and the EagleTree Guardian

SkySailor And Scott Page
Hand launching might still be the best answer,
I will have to give it another serious try,
(my first few attempts made for hard crashes).

Thanks for the input
JD-Slow-Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by JD-Slow-Thumbs
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:56 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
I bet it was
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623087
I think that's the thread you were responding to with that info
Pete
Ah, crap. Thx!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:19 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDickey View Post
Paul_BB
Thanks for the pointer to the Feytech FY 30-a Flight Stabilizer and the EagleTree Guardian

SkySailor And Scott Page
Hand launching might still be the best answer,
I will have to give it another serious try,
(my first few attempts made for hard crashes).

Thanks for the input
When you crashed from hand launching -- was it due to not enough power or did you seriously botch the throw and torque it.

I ask because IF you have the prop set up right -- it will nearly fly right out of your hand. But -- you would not believe the number of people that install the prop backwards on the Bixler/Sky Surfer and think it's a gutless wonder -- because it will still fly -- just not very well.

So if the prop has the numbers facing the tail -- it's on backwards and you would have to really throw hard to get it to go -- but throwing hard causes problems with adding roll or yaw during the release.

When hand launching DON'T throw upward. Look at the horizon and throw at the horizon. #1 mistake hand launching is throwing up upwards causing a stall. #2 mistake is throwing too hard and inducing yaw or roll.

When hand launching you should have the transmitter on a lanyard or better yet, a transmitter tray. If using a lanyard a balance like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12991 helps too.. and I throw with my right hand and have my left on the right stick.. just for a second. Not sure if putting the left fingers on the right stick is good advice, it's just what I do.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member