SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
Help!
Is this a Hangar 9, Great Planes, or Kyosho PT-19 (40 size)?

Hi folks, I'm looking for a little help here. I purchased this PT-19 ARF used off of Craigslist locally and am not sure what brand it is. It is a 40 size, about 60.75" wingspan. It had a Saito FA-56 on it (which runs great BTW!) so I couldn't pass it up for the price. It also has round, pre-fabbed wooden pushrods, and servo hatches for each aileron servo under the wing that hide the servos.

I'm thinking it could be an old Hangar 9, Great Planes, or Kyosho ARF. I'd like to get anothe cowl for it, and Fiberglass Specialties has one for the Kyosho but not the others. The cowl shown is the original plastic cowl that the previous owner put fiberglass on the OUTSIDE of it to reinforce it, and then spray painted it black.

Any ideas or tips/clues to figure out which brand ARF I have??

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Scirocco14 is offline Find More Posts by Scirocco14
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
I know I commented on another forum for you already but doesn't it crack you up sometimes how you won't get a single reply when factual information is needed but if it's someone's opinion you will get it whether you ask for it or not. LOL

PS: if you could post some pictures of the inside of the fuse that would help also. Servo tray, back of fuel tank, etc.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:10 PM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chistech View Post
I know I commented on another forum for you already but doesn't it crack you up sometimes how you won't get a single reply when factual information is needed but if it's someone's opinion you will get it whether you ask for it or not. LOL

PS: if you could post some pictures of the inside of the fuse that would help also. Servo tray, back of fuel tank, etc.
I'll take some pics of the servo tray, etc.

Good thing I didn't ask if I should re-cover it in Monokote or Ultracote, huh?

Mark
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:07 PM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
OK, maybe this will help. I stripped the covering off of the plane and took some more pics. Maybe someone will be able to recognize it and identify it for me!

The wing center section joint was no longer attached on the back half of the wing; the epoxy job didn't stick. So I've redone it, getting epoxy back into the gap by pulling it apart will applying 30 minute epoxy and using a heat gun to thin it to get it to run down into the crack. I'll also fiberglass the joint to ensure it doesn't separate in flight!

My plan is to recover the plane in 21st Century Fabric, to give it a more realistic finish than the original film covering. I've also decided to retain the Saito FA-56 that it came with for better sound.

Thanks,

Mark
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
Pretty positive it's a Kyosho. The wing mount at the rear is very typical design of Kyosho. Are the wing mounting bolts 3mm? The bulkheads and servo tray all look Kyosho. Also, the way the blue covering is coming off is exactly the way the blue came off my Corsair. I would think the Kyosho replacement cowl will fit no problem.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chistech View Post
Pretty positive it's a Kyosho. The wing mount at the rear is very typical design of Kyosho. Are the wing mounting bolts 3mm? The bulkheads and servo tray all look Kyosho. Also, the way the blue covering is coming off is exactly the way the blue came off my Corsair. I would think the Kyosho replacement cowl will fit no problem.
Thanks, Chistech. The wing mount at the rear had some black plastic inserts, which I knocked out and tapped for 1/4-20 nylon bolts. And yes, the old wing mounting bolts were 3mm!

Thanks for your help,

Mark
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:41 PM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
The Kyosho cowl came today from Fiberglass Specialties. It fits perfectly and is an exact match to the original.

So I guess I have a Kyosho PT-19 ARF!!

Mark
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
Thought I'd post the follow up pics. I finished the restoration, covered with 21st century fabric. The Saito FA-56 runs so nicely and the plane flies, well, like a 20 yr old ARF.

It does get attention at the field, I'll say that. Now I have a warbird I can bring to warbird events.

Mark