HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepin22 View Post
Thank you! I have another question now though, I was hoping that the screen shot would include the config/motor direction graphic in the bottom right corner.
I am setting up my first Quadrino board, on this V tail. And the graphic says its a Quadrotor X on my screen, I wasn't sure if that was generic, or if it should have changed to a Y when I re-flashed. Thank you.
Mine is flying as a Y4. Never tried the vtail config.
cquian is offline Find More Posts by cquian
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
Y4 looks like this in the config!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
So, is the general feel that Y4 performs better than v-tail?
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
741 Posts
If i'm not mistaken ..

Y4 .. yaw is controlled by tail motors, roll by front motors

v-tail .. yaw is controlled by all motors mixing .. roll ? may also :-)

the first few I build .. I try v-tail and y4.. ( y4 felt a bit more stable) ..

so I've run with that ever since.. have not go back to really test..
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
741 Posts
Thanks all guys for sharing your PID setting ..

Most recently I've been trying to setup up a 400 .. to fly as close to prefect.. in ACC mode..

My normal flying is .. just Gyro mode.. I find that in Gyro mode.. PID settings are very flexible.. from stock to a point off .. P= 4 to P=5

I've never enjoyed .. ACC mode as I get a disconnected feeling.. when flying..

But I'm doing this for a a new pilot as he has chosen to use V tail to lean to fly..

Good choice if you ask me the profile is so easy to see in the air.

in any case..

ACC mode PID settings.... the default one work ok.. and I can jump around a bit and I still get good results..

But WIND .. with a cross wind .. I get a rocking back and fourth... on Roll axis..
been trying to tune that out.. I get some ok results.... but with enough wind it comes back..

I think it will all go away once you get in forward flight.. but again this is for a new pilot learning to fly and hovering will be what he need to master first.

In any case just wondering if people have had same experience.. with ACC mode..
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Jul 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
--- ---
Were to get one of these? and $?
Creepin22 is offline Find More Posts by Creepin22
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jul 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
Here you go. These settings are fairly tame, yes you can do flips, but they will be slow.

Current I adjusted by Roll/Pitch rate to .4, and my RC rate to 1.2. That really speeds things up. Increase these slowly (my disclaimer)
I have a question about your settings. So over the weekend I got the V-Tail finished up, and was doing some tuning. I am new to this Quadrino board so its a little bit of a learning curve. (Its nothing like the KK2.0 lol).

The bird seams fairy smooth expect for this slight wobble/shake I get when hovering. It seams to be when hovering low (as expected from what I read, due to props) and high.
The YAW default seams to be P 8.5, I 0.045, D 0 and you have a very different setting for YAW.

Also I read someone was adjusting the gyro settings in the Arduino config.h to stop a tail wobble/shake. Did you do this as well?

My default setting for the Gyro is: #define ITG3200_LPF_98HZ but I see ppl have changed it to #define ITG3200_LPF_42HZ and it says the main default should be #define ITG3200_LPF_256HZ. I am just wondering if I should be using the 256HZ or 42HZ and not the 98HZ.

Also using the 2.1, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,664 Posts
Quote:
Were to get one of these? and $?
Just ask..
I or Luis can cut one for you.
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
664 Posts
Quote:
I have a question about your settings. So over the weekend I got the V-Tail finished up, and was doing some tuning. I am new to this Quadrino board so its a little bit of a learning curve. (Its nothing like the KK2.0 lol).

The bird seams fairy smooth expect for this slight wobble/shake I get when hovering. It seams to be when hovering low (as expected from what I read, due to props) and high.
The YAW default seams to be P 8.5, I 0.045, D 0 and you have a very different setting for YAW.

Also I read someone was adjusting the gyro settings in the Arduino config.h to stop a tail wobble/shake. Did you do this as well?

My default setting for the Gyro is: #define ITG3200_LPF_98HZ but I see ppl have changed it to #define ITG3200_LPF_42HZ and it says the main default should be #define ITG3200_LPF_256HZ. I am just wondering if I should be using the 256HZ or 42HZ and not the 98HZ.

Also using the 2.1, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

See post# 1129, but yes Gyro set to _42HZ

Haven't used 2.1 on the Vtail, so can't comment.

And yes, at the very beginning I was told to set the YAW PID at half the normal default rate.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
See post# 1129, but yes Gyro set to _42HZ

Haven't used 2.1 on the Vtail, so can't comment.

And yes, at the very beginning I was told to set the YAW PID at half the normal default rate.
Should I look at flashing 2.0 then instead of 2.1?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:58 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
Okay those filters are to dumb your multiwii down
suggest you find the reason you would need to do that.
You can beat your self ugly. If your having vibration p
Then fix that.
don't make it a naza.
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Okay those filters are to dumb your multiwii down
suggest you find the reason you would need to do that.
You can beat your self ugly. If your having vibration p
Then fix that.
don't make it a naza.
It is well documented in this thread .... for those with the 500mm VTAIL, due to the longer rear plates, there was a small amount of flex in the frame that would cause a certain amount of wooble or oscillation in hoover. Changing the gyro setting solved the problem for me and others and turned this into a great flying and looking frame.

This is apparently not an issue for the 400mm frame. For the 500, Luis cut some thicker top/bottom rear plates that definitely reduces the flex with a little bit of additional weight.

I have installed the thicker plates, did not notice any negative affect of the additional weight and have not bothered to reset gyro setting to default since my frame flies so well right now as is

As some point I will update to 2.1, so I don't think you need to run 2.0 if your board already has 2.1 on it.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
It is well documented in this thread .... for those with the 500mm VTAIL, due to the longer rear plates, there was a small amount of flex in the frame that would cause a certain amount of wooble or oscillation in hoover. Changing the gyro setting solved the problem for me and others and turned this into a great flying and looking frame.

This is apparently not an issue for the 400mm frame. For the 500, Luis cut some thicker top/bottom rear plates that definitely reduces the flex with a little bit of additional weight.

I have installed the thicker plates, did not notice any negative affect of the additional weight and have not bothered to reset gyro setting to default since my frame flies so well right now as is

As some point I will update to 2.1, so I don't think you need to run 2.0 if your board already has 2.1 on it.
Whats the thickness of the "thicker" rear plates? I am assuming that since I just ordered, and received, my V-Tail, that it should already have the thicker plates? I am also missing the support between the two rear motors. (Will be getting and adding this soon) But I added some Revo tierods to stiffen of the rear, for right now. Coming from being an RC car guy, they were laying around. Not light though lol.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
664 Posts
Quote:
Whats the thickness of the "thicker" rear plates? I am assuming that since I just ordered, and received, my V-Tail, that it should already have the thicker plates? I am also missing the support between the two rear motors. (Will be getting and adding this soon) But I added some Revo tierods to stiffen of the rear, for right now. Coming from being an RC car guy, they were laying around. Not light though lol.
Original approx 1.71 mm
Newer approx 2.63 mm
Both measured at the rear
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
149 Posts
a quick question to those that have had success with the kk2 controller, loading the default y4 or vtail mix gives incorrect yaw correction, so i have to flip the motors 3 and 4 plugs so it thinks that left is right and right is left... this gives proper control.. and some correciton but then while trying to tune.. it is extremely unstable with sudden surges forward and it tends to want to fly away,..tomorrow i will further adjust the pid values.. it just seems like something maybe flipped...from looking overhead, my rear right motor spins clockwise and the left rear spins ccw. ... is there something I am missing with the kk2..

It hovers at approximately 55-60% throttle..

setup: 750 kV 2830-14 rctimer motors
20a escs w/ simonk firmware
kk2
3s battery

Thanks Luis for a quick deilvery!. I will have to get pictures up when it is flying!
danielnc06 is offline Find More Posts by danielnc06