It's a big boy doll on the floor..
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Dec 2012
309 Posts
It's like the ghost in three men and a baby.
Pablochopper is online now Find More Posts by Pablochopper
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
757 Posts
Long as the doll's not this one

Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:30 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
667 Posts
May have found the problem with my Mini V-Tail!

For all those that recall the saga of me trying to get my Mini V-Tail flying, I may have finally found the issue. The entire bird has been out in Texas with Luis for a while to see if he could get it fly. He didn't have any better luck than I did, but he did bring up an interesting idea.

Refresher on the issue: It takes off, gets about 10-15' in the air, then, even at full throttle, settles back to the ground. It will do this over and over if you're inclined and did it with 3 different FCs (CC, Crius MW, Naze32).

Thinking that it might be a single ESC or Motor having issues and causing the FC to reduce the speed on all the motors to keep it level, I tested each motor and ESC connected directly to the RX. I brought each one up to speed (with prop) and left it there for a bit to see if it showed any slowdown or overheating issues. I didn't find any such issues, but I did discover something interesting. Luis had replaced one of the iPower 2000kv, 10 gram motors I had on it with a HK 2000kv 10 gram motor (theoretically the same) due to the wires breaking off right at the windings on the left front motor.* The HK motor is producing close to twice the thrust of the iPower ones! This is even after re-calibration, same props, same ESC, etc. When I hooked both front motors to the RX at the same time (with a splitter) the difference in thrust was so great that it attempted to twist sideways out of my hand at 3/4 throttle.

I also discovered a wobble or vibration right around the half throttle mark, but only on the iPower motors. As with the thrust difference, it occurred regardless of which prop, which motor, etc. Watch around the 8 second mark on the first video below to see it.

And, before anyone suggests it, it's not a connection issue, all connections are securely soldered and have been double checked by different people.

My conclusion? The iPower 2000kv motors are garbage, I will never buy them again and I will discourage anyone who asks from doing so.

My question to myself now is, do I buy three more of the HK motors (and wait a month for HK to ship them through the Chinese New Year holiday mess or do I buy 4 Suppo A1510 2200kv 16 gram motors from a US dealer, having to buy 4 and paying a third more per motor, but getting them in a week or so?

I apologize for the weird angle on the videos, but I was trying to hold down the quad, hold the camera and work the TX all at the same time.

iPower 2000kv 10 gram motor showing wobble at half throttle. (0 min 15 sec)
HK 2000kv 10 gram motor showing clean run (0 min 11 sec)

-K

* GotHeliRC refused to honor the warranty, despite the motor being brand new.
kad is online now Find More Posts by kad
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:31 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
159 Posts
These frames look awesome was thinking of getting a 400, what motors and esc is everyone using, i have a kk2.0 and also a cc3d which i would love to put on it, just curious as to motors and escs so i can start getting them, need to add a new toy to my fleet and this looks like it will fit the bill...
ff954 is online now Find More Posts by ff954
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:39 PM
It Eats Vets
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post

My question to myself now is, do I buy three more of the HK motors (and wait a month for HK to ship them through the Chinese New Year holiday mess or do I buy 4 Suppo A1510 2200kv 16 gram motors from a US dealer, having to buy 4 and paying a third more per motor, but getting them in a week or so?

* GotHeliRC refused to honor the warranty, despite the motor being brand new.

I'm not overflowing with patience so I know which way I'd be going.....

GotHeli is out of arizona right? What was their justification for telling you to pound salt?
tgreening is offline Find More Posts by tgreening
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:41 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
757 Posts
Micro plane guys will snap up the ipower motors.
Buy the suppos.
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:06 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,826 Posts
www.flitelab.com
Mark had the Suppo in stock for me, hope he have some more.

I didn't try them yet, but they are supposed to be good.
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:11 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening View Post

GotHeli is out of arizona right? What was their justification for telling you to pound salt?
Yup, that's them. I've bought a lot of props and other items from them with no issues, and they reacted quickly when they sent me the wrong props once. As for the motor, they said "it could have been caused by a crash". Despite the photos I provided which clearly showed everything clean and undamaged except for the wires which had just broken clean off at the point where they connected to the windings. I guess a $10 motor was more important to them than a customer. It definitely hasn't put them high on my list of people to buy from these days.

-K
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
39 Posts
Finally without Further adue!!

It has taken sometime to get this in the air. I had some electronic issues that were finally solved. Long story short my Nanowii controller was blowing up my BECs in my ESCs when I had plugged the board in USB. So I had to replace the board and I also replaced all my speed controllers after it ate 3 of them.. ARG

So my build:

FC: Multiwii Pro 2.0
ESC: Skullcopter 20amp N-FET ESC
Motors: Tiger Motor MS2208 1100kv
Props: 8x4.5 GemFan Props.

Pics:

rockarruda is offline Find More Posts by rockarruda
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:52 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Very nice build
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:58 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
@kad thanks for the info about the ipower motors I have used the 880kv and the 1000 kv with no issues. And I do a lot of buying from gotheli maybe not anymore tho
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:44 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
lol @ ipower motors. Sweet quality at an affordable price.

I decided to hold on the brain surgery on my 400mm vtail until I got home.

My suppo A1510 motors for the mini-V got bumped back to the post office because they were too slow to deliver before I left on my vacation.
But ive flown my other mini quad with exactly the same setup for the first time on my vacation and whoo mammy, that setup JETS.
Cant wait to get my fancy little mini-V all built up.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:41 AM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
@kad thanks for the info about the ipower motors I have used the 880kv and the 1000 kv with no issues. And I do a lot of buying from gotheli maybe not anymore tho
I've heard good things about the larger ones, but personal experience for me now says the little ones are not worth it. As for GotHeliRC... Unfortunately, they are still the best place I've found in the US to buy GemFan props. But I wont be buying motors or anything else expensive from them again. And I'll be looking for other places to buy props. Short of a BBB or AG complaint, neither of which have much effect on a small online retailer, the only way I can express my displeasure with them is to not give them my money and advise others not to either, so that's what I'll do. I'm not going to go TimeCop level rabid on them, but if an opinion is requested in a conversation I'm part of, I will speak up.

-K
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:45 AM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
Well, looks like I'm doomed to wait either way. None of the US dealers advertising the A1510s have any in stock. They are all waiting on deliveries delayed by the Chinese holiday!

-K