HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:45 AM
New to Multi rotors
Joined Dec 2012
63 Posts
Hi again guys

Finally recieved the Quadrino but am a little confused despite extensive reading regarding wiring.

i am not sure i am understanding the VBATT and VIN connectors correctly.

So i connected all esc's to main power source (battery)

i have disconnected the red positive pins from the ESC servo leads so the ESC's DONT power the quadrino.

do i need to connect the VIN to one of the receiver's positive pins as i understand this input is voltage regulated to 5 volts.

and do i need to connect the VBATT lead from the quadrino to the main power source or can i leave this disconnected

details on wiring this board are vague

any help would be appreciated
rcmano is offline Find More Posts by rcmano
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Dialfonzo's Avatar
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmano View Post
Hi again guys

Finally recieved the Quadrino but am a little confused despite extensive reading regarding wiring.

i am not sure i am understanding the VBATT and VIN connectors correctly.

So i connected all esc's to main power source (battery)

i have disconnected the red positive pins from the ESC servo leads so the ESC's DONT power the quadrino.

do i need to connect the VIN to one of the receiver's positive pins as i understand this input is voltage regulated to 5 volts.

and do i need to connect the VBATT lead from the quadrino to the main power source or can i leave this disconnected

details on wiring this board are vague

any help would be appreciated
You need to keep one of the Plus wire from ESC to the Quadrino to power it.
All Plus and Minus pins on the Quadrino are linked together one the PCB.

So if you have on ESC powering the Quadrino, once you put a wire from the Quadrino to the Receiver it whould also power the Receiver.
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
New to Multi rotors
Joined Dec 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
You need to keep one of the Plus wire from ESC to the Quadrino to power it.
All Plus and Minus pins on the Quadrino are linked together one the PCB.

So if you have on ESC powering the Quadrino, once you put a wire from the Quadrino to the Receiver it whould also power the Receiver.
Hi Dialfonzo

thanks for your response but i am trying to wire it following this logic

ESC powers radio, radio powers Quadrino through radio pin header.

so does that mean i need to use the VBATT and/or VIN
rcmano is offline Find More Posts by rcmano
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Dialfonzo's Avatar
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmano View Post
Hi Dialfonzo

thanks for your response but i am trying to wire it following this logic

ESC powers radio, radio powers Quadrino through radio pin header.

so does that mean i need to use the VBATT and/or VIN
No it will do exacly the same thing.
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,327 Posts
VBATT is for battery voltage monitor and VIN is 6-12v battery connection, you need neither. Like Fonzie sez, leave one positive wire from an ESC intact and eliminate the rest. On one channel of the RX use a 3-wire servo extension/jumper to connect sig./gnd./pwr to the quadrino inputs and everything will be apples. The remaining channels will only need a signal wire from RX to quadrino.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
New to Multi rotors
Joined Dec 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
No it will do exacly the same thing.
OK i think i have bitten off more then i can chew with the quadrino it looked like the right choice initially, as it said easy ez connect wiring system, yeah right!

i think i would find it less confusing if i had to solder all the wires myself as i would at least know what it talking to what, and what connectors are positive/neagative or signal

i thought it would be as simple as my heli's but with more motors to connect.

can you recommend an FC i can get that is well documented in terms of wiring diagrams and component info so i can better understand what i am doing.

with the quadrino the wiring diagrams are for older revisions that look nothing like what i have purchased and most of the tutorials seem to be written in a way that confuses the hell out of me.
rcmano is offline Find More Posts by rcmano
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Dialfonzo's Avatar
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmano View Post
OK i think i have bitten off more then i can chew with the quadrino it looked like the right choice initially, as it said easy ez connect wiring system, yeah right!

i think i would find it less confusing if i had to solder all the wires myself as i would at least know what it talking to what, and what connectors are positive/neagative or signal

i thought it would be as simple as my heli's but with more motors to connect.

can you recommend an FC i can get that is well documented in terms of wiring diagrams and component info so i can better understand what i am doing.

with the quadrino the wiring diagrams are for older revisions that look nothing like what i have purchased and most of the tutorials seem to be written in a way that confuses the hell out of me.
Take some time to read that website
http://www.flyingeinstein.com/index.php/tutorials
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,327 Posts
Are you using the E-Z connect cables or pin-headers?
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
New to Multi rotors
Joined Dec 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
VBATT is for battery voltage monitor and VIN is 6-12v battery connection, you need neither. Like Fonzie sez, leave one positive wire from an ESC intact and eliminate the rest. On one channel of the RX use a 3-wire servo extension/jumper to connect sig./gnd./pwr to the quadrino inputs and everything will be apples. The remaining channels will only need a signal wire from RX to quadrino.
Hi Granted and thanks but what your telling me to do will give me this.

1
ESC powers Quadrino through motor pin header, Quadrino powers radio.
Flight

If receiver fails, Quadrino continues to fly the copter. Risk of fly-away copter and to nearby people from spinning props.

i dont want that, i want this

ESC powers radio, radio powers Quadrino through radio pin header.
Flight

If receiver fails, power fails on the Quadrino thus ESCs cut out. Copter free falls. Prevents fly-away copter loss! Though opinions differ, this is probably the safest failsafe mode to nearby people as there are no spinning props.







i
rcmano is offline Find More Posts by rcmano
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Dialfonzo's Avatar
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmano View Post
Hi Granted and thanks but what your telling me to do will give me this.

1
ESC powers Quadrino through motor pin header, Quadrino powers radio.
Flight

If receiver fails, Quadrino continues to fly the copter. Risk of fly-away copter and to nearby people from spinning props.

i dont want that, i want this

ESC powers radio, radio powers Quadrino through radio pin header.
Flight

If receiver fails, power fails on the Quadrino thus ESCs cut out. Copter free falls. Prevents fly-away copter loss! Though opinions differ, this is probably the safest failsafe mode to nearby people as there are no spinning props.







i
Both way will give the same thing.
If Radio Fail the power to the Quadrino will not be shut by the receiver...
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
New to Multi rotors
Joined Dec 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
Are you using the E-Z connect cables or pin-headers?
i was using the EZ connect.

would something like this do the job

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/Stabiliza...er/p-168-2168/
rcmano is offline Find More Posts by rcmano
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
New to Multi rotors
Joined Dec 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Both way will give the same thing.
If Radio Fail the power to the Quadrino will not be shut by the receiver...
LOL

i got that info from the quadrino manual. and from what your telling me its Bull.

is it any wonder i am confused.
rcmano is offline Find More Posts by rcmano
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Dialfonzo's Avatar
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmano View Post
i was using the EZ connect.

would something like this do the job

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/Stabiliza...er/p-168-2168/
NAZA don't have any config for Vtail or Y4.

Did you look at the tutorial website i have link..??
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,327 Posts
You won't be able to achieve your goal unless you add a relay to cut power to the quadrino in the event of receiver failure, but it still won't be fool-proof and if it does work your copter is gonna drop like a rock. Still not safe. MultiWii firmware can be configured so the 'copter descends upon reciever signal loss, or drops, whatever you configure it to do. I have mine set 100 points above min. throttle and it descends gently if I turn off the transmitter.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Dialfonzo's Avatar
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,783 Posts
BTW: There is a FailSafe that can be activated inside the MultiWii soft.
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Bledi-DiaLFonZo Copter VTail HUNTER 400 CANOPY + Addons Innerbreed Multirotor Talk 42 Sep 20, 2013 09:41 PM