HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostCool View Post
I've since switched to 2830-1290kv motors using the 10x5 props on my 500mm hunter. A lot more power than my 2830-920kv and you get hover at exactly 50% throttle.
Probably a good match as Warthox was using Mystery A2208/14 1450KV with 8X4.5 props on 400 frame.
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
I've since switched to 2830-1290kv motors using the 10x5 props on my 500mm hunter. A lot more power than my 2830-920kv and you get hover at exactly 50% throttle.
Do you find any shakes? I thought maybe the 10" might my too muchy prop for a 1290, i have yet to order motors. If that works good i may go that route. What brand motor are you runnin?
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
No shakes but I do get some forward pitch at sudden full throttle. Something I'll have to tune out. I'm using leopard motors. Will try to get a pic out. By the way, I had the same forward pitching with the other motors, so it's not a motor thing. It's a mixing thing (I guess multiwii doesn't have the ideal config for the hunter vtail geometry, so it needs to be customized).

I find with the vtail that you almost have to add 30-40% more power than what eCalc would suggest. I guess it is to account for some loss in efficiency due to the angled props. The trade off, of course, is unsurpassed yaw authority.

AlmostCool is offline Find More Posts by AlmostCool
Last edited by AlmostCool; Nov 27, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
I think the pitch forward is caused by a couple of things. If you look at the diagram on post #28 you will see the back motors are actually slightly outside the circle for the 400 or 500mm. Plus they are not split apart wide like front motors so work together for greater lift to the rear. I think that is why Bledi uses larger KV motors in front. He told me when I asked If your using the same motors on all four use larger props in the front. I dont know if I'm right but that's a possible cause. As a result I put 9" in front and 8" in back on my Exceed 1360KV motors. I notice the tendency for the tail to lift first is much less since doing what he told me.
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cmeisteriii; Nov 27, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
Hmmm. Thanks for that tip. Maybe I try putting 9" props in the back.

I'll also try tinkering with the mixing to see if that helps. Will post my results.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
The kk 2.0 flys very well with this mix
V tale

So initial changes... flip all prop/motors directions to (from looking over head) M1 front left is CCW, M2 front right is CW, M3 rear left is CW, and M4 rear right is CCW.

set the kk2 to VTail.. calibrate your sensors... and start with the mixer settings
where did you found the "Vtail" option in KK2 board? was it Y4 or Y6?
thanks,
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
It is v tail but this mix works the best

V tale
Mine is finally up and running with the kk2... just some minor tweaking now...had to change some very random things to get a good mix....

again my setup is a kk2 with 750 kv motors 10x4.7 props, and 3 cell battery on the 400 frame...hovers around 55% throttle...this may save some people some trouble if they have a similar setup..

So initial changes... flip all prop/motors directions to (from looking over head) M1 front left is CCW, M2 front right is CW, M3 rear left is CW, and M4 rear right is CCW.

set the kk2 to VTail.. calibrate your sensors... and start with the mixer settings

CH1:

Throttle: 100
Aileron: -100
Elevator: 100
Rudder: -40
Offset: 0

CH2:

Throttle: 100
Aileron: 100
Elevator: 100
Rudder: 40

CH3:

Throttle: 95
Aileron: 0
Elevator: -100
Rudder: 100

CH4:

Throttle: 95
Aileron: 0
Elevator: -100
Rudder: -100

Now some rough PI values (mainly just a starting point)

Roll:

P gain:55
P limit:90
I gain:30
I limit:20

Pitch:

P gain:30
P limit:90
I gain:30

Yaw:

P gain:40
P limit:20
I gain:20
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:32 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
No shakes but I do get some forward pitch at sudden full throttle. Something I'll have to tune out. I'm using leopard motors. Will try to get a pic out. By the way, I had the same forward pitching with the other motors, so it's not a motor thing. It's a mixing thing (I guess multiwii doesn't have the ideal config for the hunter vtail geometry, so it needs to be customized).

I find with the vtail that you almost have to add 30-40% more power than what eCalc would suggest. I guess it is to account for some loss in efficiency due to the angled props. The trade off, of course, is unsurpassed yaw authority.
Are you running 4s or 3s?
Just trying to nail things down before i pull the trigger on some motors
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm. Thanks for that tip. Maybe I try putting 9" props in the back.

I'll also try tinkering with the mixing to see if that helps. Will post my results.
What flight controller are you using
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Tech69x, I tried your KK settings today and things worked good. I got to confident though, and ended up crashing and busting the angled supports in the rear. I have a new CNC now, and will cut replacements soon. That is, if I don't decide to convert this to a tri-copter.
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
I'm using a Crius AIO Pro v1.1 flight controller.

And a 3S battery. I tend to stay away from 4S purely because 4S costs more. If I wanted higher RPM and power, I simply choose larger motors with higher KV ratings.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
745 Posts
Mini - V tail - Setup

Hello all...

I wanted to post the setup I used .. on my first Mini - V

Some months back..

Flight 3 Outdoors (3 min 12 sec)

Motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5358

the bad - > this motor has very fragile wires, and has set screws that if you over turn will strip and no mounting screws.

the good - it still better than this motors - https://www.gothelirc.com/shopdispla...arch=yes&bc=no

this ipower version has even more fragile wires.

as for the set screws - I think when I first try to get the setup off the ground I was using .. 2 blade props that where So out of balance I could never get it to fly..( vibration was horrible) and motors kept taking a beating. set screws could could hold up if you don't put it through a beating..

I fixed them by drilling and tapping for new screws 2mm screws after I had abused them.

ESC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Props
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...otation/Detail

&

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...otation/Detail

the good - > These props simply worked.. did not balance them and at first glace they seem very fragile but they held up .. copter still flew fine after I bent a prop... back in to shape after hard landing\crash .. plastic is so soft that I just bent it back.

the bad -> you have to drill a hole to matte it with the prop adapter I did mess one up by going to quick..

I would stay away form the HK 2 blade props they .where the root cause of all my vibration Issued..

Props Adapter

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-2.0mm/Detail

the good - > they are so small in diameter that they do not add to any balance Issue..

I've had some 2mm adapter in my hand that are so big putting it on such a small motor caused more vibration Issues..

the bad - > when you put it on the motor - I turn them and seemed like they bottom out.. I had to turn them just a bit harder to actually clamp good on the shaft.. ( ie hole seemed like it was to big ) but it worked.

Flight Board - > first setup I used a Gyro only ( Wii Gyro)

Working .. now on another ( repair) will test a mini Wii

Software - Y4 configuration -

ok will post more this week as this repair get in the air.

Thanks all..
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
678 Posts
I'm having a horrible time trying to get mine figured out. I used Tech69's setup but I'm having some weird issues.

First thing is, the left front and left rear motors start to spin up very quickly with only minimum throttle input. Much more than the right motors. Also, are the back 2 motors supposed to push towards the ground or pull towards the sky.

I think having the 2 inverted rotors in the back might be confusing me. I'm on the fence about it and am thinking about just selling the thing.
MrDusanmandic is offline Find More Posts by MrDusanmandic
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:40 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDusanmandic View Post
I'm having a horrible time trying to get mine figured out. I used Tech69's setup but I'm having some weird issues.

First thing is, the left front and left rear motors start to spin up very quickly with only minimum throttle input. Much more than the right motors. Also, are the back 2 motors supposed to push towards the ground or pull towards the sky.

I think having the 2 inverted rotors in the back might be confusing me. I'm on the fence about it and am thinking about just selling the thing.
Which controller are you using ?
Having the back motor spin faster tell me that maybe you didn't do the ESC calibration connected to your receiver ?
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
678 Posts
I'm using the KK2 controller with the V-Tail motor layout loaded.

I did do the ESC calibration (TX on with full throttle, hold buttons 1 and 4 and then apply power, wait for beeps and tone, move throttle stick down, wait for beep and then power off).

It's the front left and back left motors that spin up consistently. They continue to get faster and faster.
MrDusanmandic is offline Find More Posts by MrDusanmandic