Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Discussion
Equpiment advice - Almost ready to buy

Hello guys, I have been mostly lurking on the FPV forum on and off for about a year now. I have read alomost everything I can find about the wonderful hobby that is FPV and I feel that I am ready to take the plunge. I am almost ready to buy and I wanted to bounce my potential setup off you guys to make sure I am headed in the right direction. I will be buying a setup from ReadyMadeRC since I work very close to his hobby shop (lucky, right?).

My Goals with FPV:
- For starting out and probably a long time, nothing other than line of site and with a spotter. For this I would prefer an antenna that is less directional. I would like to, very gradually (probably over the course of a year or longer?), push my flights out around the 5 mile range. I want to start with a solid system that I can grow on and evertually acomplish this with the right antennas/upgrades.

- Another separate goal for me would to be able to achieve low level flight around trees and such. This would mostly be in open field areas along tree lines. I would need something lower in frequency to not get blocked out by these types of things, correct?

What I currently have:
Spektrum DX8
Dragon Link UHF 433mhz
Sony 480 camera (same specs as the RMRC 480)

What I am about ready to buy this week:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=342
Custom RMRC 1.3Ghz starter package with options as follows:
Camera - None (already have above)
Video Tx - 1.3Ghz 800mw (should I go for Lawmate 1000mw?)
Video Rx - Basic 1.3 Ghz receiver with SAW upgrade and digital channel (Lawmate w/ SAW is out of stock)
Tx Antenna - Vee Antenna
Rx Antenna - Optimized 8dBi Patch
Goggles - FatShark Base - From what I have read, the Base has a wider field of view and that is important to me.
OSD - Immersion EZOSD

Ground station setup:
I'd like to keep it simple to start with. I was thinking of fastening the patch antenna to the back of a hard case (open, and at an angle for flying) as I have seen in pictures here before. This case could be either on the ground or on top of a small portable table. Mini DVR for flight recording and for review after a crash. And of course batteries for the video Rx and goggles.

Questions: (I may think of more and add them here later)
1 - I know that proper placement of equipment and filtering is key for eliminating interference, but do you think I will have much trouble with the 433Mhz DL and 1.3Ghz video?
2 - With the Optimized 8dBi patch and Vee antennas, will I be within video range for almost any direction in front and to the sides while maintaining line of site? I'm asking for a generality here, nothing specific. I know that terrain and objects can change everything.

I plan to start flying this on a scratch-built 48" flying wing, but maybe the Zeyphyr 2 eventually. I am also looking at the FPVRaptor from Hobby King.

I am not stubborly set on anything on my buying list, so please let me know that you guys think. Thank you for any and all suggestions to help me be succesful with FPV.

Wish me luck on the HAM exam!
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
i think i've heard of the lawmate 1000mw going up to 3 miles with cp omni's. not sure on that.

the rmrc 800mw is actually 600mw according to the description. 1 mile on cp omi antennas is no problem

most will probably say to keep low power, low noise, but i took the rmrc 800mw cuz i wanted to say i had more than the usual 500mw. you can go with lower power and bigger antenna's but your antennas fov is narrower. smaller space to fly in. the rmrc 600mw gets warm but wont get hot, in the stock case, when i bench tested. the lawmate will get hot, so it definitely needs some ventilation. lower power is lower noise. (filters can be used on noisy set-ups)

go circular polarization, less static, not plane orientation sensitive
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvguy View Post
i think i've heard of the lawmate 1000mw going up to 3 miles with cp omni's. not sure on that.

the rmrc 800mw is actually 600mw according to the description. 1 mile on cp omi antennas is no problem

most will probably say to keep low power, low noise, but i took the rmrc 800mw cuz i wanted to say i had more than the usual 500mw. you can go with lower power and bigger antenna's but your antennas fov is narrower. smaller space to fly in. the rmrc 600mw gets warm but wont get hot, in the stock case, when i bench tested. the lawmate will get hot, so it definitely needs some ventilation. lower power is lower noise. (filters can be used on noisy set-ups)

go circular polarization, less static, not plane orientation sensitive
When I am in the Custom FPV setup on RMRC, it only lists it as "1.3GHz 800mw" and no description. I was thinking the 800mw due to the heat and noise that you mention. However if I went with the 1000mw, the Tx should get plenty of ventilation on a flying wing I would think.

I know you weren't sure, and as always it depends on your surroundings, but the possibility of 3mi on the 1000mw is very intriguing. It would be quite a while before I would be able to go that far though.

I think I'll take your advice on the CPs. I'm sure it will be nice to not have to worry about field of view nearly as much.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
516 Posts
There are directional circular polarized antennas available as well. CP patches exist, but are a bit hard to find. Also, helicals are a big hit, and MANY report stellar results with them.

With a helical, the more turns it has, the higher the gain...
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTvxl View Post
There are directional circular polarized antennas available as well. CP patches exist, but are a bit hard to find. Also, helicals are a big hit, and MANY report stellar results with them.

With a helical, the more turns it has, the higher the gain...
And the higher the gain means the more narrow (but also longer) the field of view is, correct?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
516 Posts
yes, higher gain means narrower beam. Generally greater range with higher gain, but not necessarily always...
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
291 Posts
Even with the stock vTX antenna and the 8dBi patch you should have no problems going out a few miles with a crystal clear signal. There is really nothing wrong with the system you've posted -- you've clearly done some research.
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anixs View Post
you've clearly done some research.
Thank you! I've tried very hard to not be "that guy" and have to be told to use the search function!