HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Discussion
Professors are overapid and lazy

So said this link, which is amazingly ignorant BS. However, no doubt some of you will take it to heart.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...8VS_story.html

(I pride myself on being lazy. By that I mean that I plan to accomplish things in the most effective manner, rather than dithering around.)
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:23 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,291 Posts
As a TA that has graded papers during my undergrad career, I can say with assurance, that some profs, at least were lazy, or simply did not care.

One guy gave exactly the same tests every five years, the same actual paper, complete with stains and wrinkles from previous test rounds. Of course, this practice rewarded the frat boys whose frats maintained test histories on all the profs.

95 was therefore a "B", since this guy graded on the curve.

Another prof got his PhD in Quantum Mechanics, so of course, every course he taught, consisted of QM,even if that wasn't the actual course subject. I was the high score at 20% on one particular test. But the guy had no clue why all of his students fared so poorly.

Enough college profs are either lazy, or incompetent, to make the complaint often a valid one.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:27 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,422 Posts
Jim,

Would it be better if they slowed down?

Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Tenure should be considered a bad sign in a college.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Tenure is usually awarded or denied in the seventh year of a Tenure Track Assistant Professor's employment. I was awarded early tenure and promotion to Associate Professor after three years. I think there is very good argument for tenure for university professors. However, we are human, and we occasionally make bad decisions and tenure folks mistakenly.

The initial decision to approve or deny tenure rests with the department tenure committee. This committee is all the tenured members of the department faculty. A promotion committee consists of all members of higher rank than the applicant. In my department, the chair could support or oppose the decision of the tenure committee, but could only support the decision of the promotion committee. Then there is review all the way up to the Board of Trustees , who actually award tenure or promotion.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
On the side of ever changing technology I would feel that certain teachings that tunure would stifle learning by having a non current teaching staff.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
On the side of ever changing technology I would feel that certain teachings that tunure would stifle learning by having a non current teaching staff.
The stifling would occur, especially if they've ever been published.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Jim,

Would it be better if they slowed down?

Quality
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:01 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
Higher education is still one of our top exports. I mean, how many of the world's students are clamoring to attend one of our prestigious American universities?
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Higher education is still one of our top exports. I mean, how many of the world's students are clamoring to attend one of our prestigious American universities?
Lotsa Chinese who couldn't get into a Chinese University.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
It is part of a professor's job to stay current in the discipline, as much as possible. It is also part of the professor's job to contribute to the advancement of the discipline.
At the university level, courses in biology should be taught by active biologists. New people come in to the professorship with modern knowledge and techniques which are beyond my expertise. I've worked with several of these people to take things I have studied to the next level. I recognize my limitations, and my goal has been to do enough foundation work to make various groups of fishes well enough known, and interesting enough, that people who can do modern things will work with me and take our studies to a level I could not reach by myself. It has worked out very well, and I feel good about my career.

President Eisenhower advanced himself by associating with, and learning from, people he thought his superiors. I find that I have done the same. I recently looked up several of the more modern young people I have worked with; and have been amazed and impressed by their accomplishments and status in the field.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Tenure is usually awarded or denied in the seventh year of a Tenure Track Assistant Professor's employment. I was awarded early tenure and promotion to Associate Professor after three years. I think there is very good argument for tenure for university professors. However, we are human, and we occasionally make bad decisions and tenure folks mistakenly.

The initial decision to approve or deny tenure rests with the department tenure committee. This committee is all the tenured members of the department faculty. A promotion committee consists of all members of higher rank than the applicant. In my department, the chair could support or oppose the decision of the tenure committee, but could only support the decision of the promotion committee. Then there is review all the way up to the Board of Trustees , who actually award tenure or promotion.

Have you ever noticed if you repeat a word enough times at first it starts to sound odd, then silly, and then after awhile it seems to make no sense at all ?.

Of course what do I know......I always thought tenure was one step above baritone.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
In scientific writing, where many of the readers are not English as first language people, repetition of words, rather than using synonyms, is a good idea. I find myself writing this way in nonscientific communication, and often go back and change repetitive words for synonyms, or change sentence structure, to make my writing more interesting.

So, interesting point, as I had not realized that, but do not know a good synonym for tenure.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
It is part of a professor's job to stay current in the discipline, as much as possible.

President Eisenhower advanced himself ........

Well, right there's your problem. Unless you're teaching a course in geology, I doubt your students would even know who some old fossil from the 40's and 50's was. Hell, the kids in your class probably think the 70's was ancient history.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
... but do not know a good synonym for tenure.
Pontificate

Pontificator

Pontification

"Thy holy majesty great annointed one who art thou set up for life in thine position of regal splendor and lackadasical workitude".