HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, FL, Lake Placid
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Discussion
What Type of Boats are you Guys looking for?

Many years ago I had all intentions to manufacture a complete line of Larger semi and scale boat hulls to be powered with both gas or electric.
Recently on our forum some of our customers have shown interest in building these types of models and that was music to my ears.
We completed several patterns and molds before killing the project back in 1999, Today it is a different company and modeling world, and I now have the time as well as less stress an would like to complete them and bring them to market.
My visions were mostly hulls only and enable the modeler to construct the cabins, superstructure, etc.
I have asked my glass shop to build one of each of the following so I have pictures to show you:
55" Coast Guard Cutter Hull
55" Coast Guard Cutter ( Complete fiberglass hull, deck and cabin )
55" Yacht or Off Shore boat
48" Tug Boat
48" Tug Boat ( complete 7 piece fiberglass kit )
72" PT Boat Hull
55" Sail and or powered sailboat
60" PT Boat Hull
45" Coast Guard or Trawler Hull
The boat hulls will range between, $150.00 - $325.00 + shipping
whobbies is offline Find More Posts by whobbies
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,595 Posts
whobbies

I think you have a good general arrangemnt of choices there to start with. Get the parts made to show and even better if you can find photos of "like" vessels will help people get a better idea of what you are proposing. Another idea for scale folks is to give the scale as to what they would be ( ie 1/24, 1/16, 1/32 ect) as it gives one a general idea of style type boat. Question that I have is there going to be drawings available to go along with the prodjects or are they going to be seperate issue al together? Personally for me the CG, tug, and Trawler are of intrest..
keith S is online now Find More Posts by keith S
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,686 Posts
Tugs !

TUGS !
Just like this one, 30's style, real curvy, but not 52 inches as this one is !
( Character Models Paula Ann )
In fact, 48 inches is a bit too big.
I think 40 is about as much as an old guy like me can build and get in the water.
Semi kit is definiteley what alot of people are looking for, even if its just the hull and a few deck house parts.
The monster in the pic comes with the deck already fused to the hull - Very helpful ( at least to me ).
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
whobbies

Question that I have is there going to be drawings available to go along with the prodjects or are they going to be seperate issue al together? Personally for me the CG, tug, and Trawler are of intrest..
What he said, Plans please !
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Keith, So many good points you offer. I would like to start by manufacturing the hulls only and let you guys build more scratch. I would love nothing more than to make drawings, but my business obligations kind of get in the way these days. I have a little more time on my hands, but not enough to product drawings, and do not have the right people for that job. Yes I will provide photo's as they become available. Am I off base thinking that the majority of guys won't build without deck plans?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,393 Posts
Remember, f/g hulls are like Gillette's razor handles... he gave 'em away free, and sold the blades!

So, you've only just started with the 'glass... your "blades" can be all the stuff to complete the models... drive kits, fittings, sound modules...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
That's funny it too will be there pretty soon... I do have a few smaller hull molds 24" - 30" range, not too many but a few. Maybe I will have my guys make a few?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
It's very sad that at one time I owned everything from metal spinning machines to injection molders, and all in between. By 2000 the hobby industry was quickly changing and we were being chased by our beloved domestic distributors whom hand carried our products to China to end up competing with them. I tell it like it is, that's the only way. It forced us and many others to manufacture in a different way to stay alive, and in turn I sold much of that equipment. I no longer have the in-house ability to make all the fittings and parts, and the industry is so fragmented that to start-up in an unstable market would mean certain death. I am hoping that we can get some interest and purchases to get this part of the industry jump started once again. If things did start to happen, then of course I would make a larger financial commitment, but for right now this is what I can offer.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whobbies View Post
That's funny it too will be there pretty soon... I do have a few smaller hull molds 24" - 30" range, not too many but a few. Maybe I will have my guys make a few?
I will be the First in line for a 24 inch semi kit of a 45 foot Army STL...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Keith,
The Tug does come as a complete 7 piece fiberglass model and I scaled closely to LGB, ( so I could use the figures and tools ), that's about 1/24th. I'll find a picture of a fire tug I made in 1987 completely molded in color and post it.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whobbies View Post
Keith,
The Tug does come as a complete 7 piece fiberglass model and I scaled closely to LGB, ( so I could use the figures and tools ), that's about 1/24th. I'll find a picture of a fire tug I made in 1987 completely molded in color and post it.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Tim,
Here is an old picture of the complete 48" Tug we are making again. This kit consists of (7) fiberglass pieces, and very easy to complete. I used all LGB figures and a soldering iron to make them do things they didn't normally do.
I know the picture is crappy, but I sold that model at the Chicago Toy Show in 87', so this is all I have left. I modeled it at the turn-of-the-century era and distressed the hull for more detail. ( some companies call this air-bubbles or mistakes ) Just kidding, it looks great! The deck is a two piece also in glass that I pulled from a planked pattern, so I transferred the wood details to the molds, I also distressed the floors to make them look walked on, they are molded in brown. I chose the red for the cabin to make it a fire boat and used a Robbie water cannon on the forward deck. I built it in only 3 days for the show and sold it on the first day, and the guy who purchased it was gracious enough to allow me to keep it in my booth till the shows end. We just sold a white one today and I will take pictures of all the parts.
We will also install the deck for a fee if instructed to do so.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Oh she's nice. I may have a small tug in storage, cross your fingers. Now this would be the hull only, no directions or prints, but I'm sure a well seasoned model boater such as yourself thinks.....
"We don't need no stink'in directions".
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Tim,
My guys are re-arranging our 30 years of storage nightmare this week so molds and stuff is spread-out all over. I found a 20" pattern for a Tug boat. I don't know much about it, probably something I purchased some 25 or so years ago. I used to buy out small model boat companies, so I have hundreds of molds. Take a good look and let me know if this could be a candidate and worth the time and effort to make nice and make a mold. The beam is almost 8".
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Keith, What about smaller hulls 20" - 30". I have some and they could offer smaller platforms to be many types of boats. Being raised in South Florida I would get to see boats manufactured from many types of hulls. The CG was famous for that with almost no two boats alike. Many confiscated boats would be cut up and made into custom vessels to suit their interests. I once had a good friend who owned a boat yard that would do this type of work for the Navy, CG, and other companies who had hulls and needed for work , or even go-fast boats to chase those who were working into the night....
Site Sponsor