HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2001, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2000
103 Posts
I need some advice from you electric Guros

I want to get envolved with electric flying. My life keeps getting busier and busier and i no longer have all that much time to fly my gas planes, so i want something i can take out of the trunk and fly, without setup/cleanup etc. I'd like the plane to be aerobatic, but also durable in case i do screw up(that's never happened before ) My flying ability can pretty much handle anything, so the plane can be quite hot etc. My main constraint is money, i'm selling my 1/4 scale laser 200 for $350, and i need 100 of that to do some repairs on my car, so that leaves about 250 left over. I was very strongly considering the zagi 400x untill i saw the price tag. So what do you guys think? i'm also going to be going off to college next year so electric would be perfect for that. thanks in advance for your help
Ryan
RG5384 is offline Find More Posts by RG5384
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2001, 12:35 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
you could take a look at the FMA Razor, it is very close to a Zagi but a better price

RZR400RTF1-ARC-(CLR) Speed 400 RTF1 $114.95
Type: Speed 400 RTF
Propulsion: 400 Motor/Batt/ESC
Features: Carbon Spar, Thermal, Fully Aerobatic

and if you have a TX already and need the micro gear you can get it with everything except a Transmitter for $214.95 However you still will need a charger but there are many options for that one.

This is the FMA link, just click on the store tab and then on planes and it will list all the different options to buy for the Razor.
https://www.fmadirect.com/home.htm

Hope this helps and good luck.
Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Nov 04, 2001, 12:51 PM
NEWPORT BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2001
144 Posts
Ryan,
You can look into Wattage line at Hobbypeople.net They are cheap and a great fun to fly!
If later on money is no object, however, I would strongly recommend a Firecat on brushless @ Hobby-Lobby.com
Jay
Antaeus is offline Find More Posts by Antaeus
Old Nov 04, 2001, 02:42 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,795 Posts
A modified T-52
35$ for the kit (plus electronics)
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2001, 03:41 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
I second the Razor- the slimers at my club have been going ga-ga over it! You'd think they'd never seen an electric before! (Actually, the sad thing is, most of them haven't, lol. Only 2 of us electric flyers, and the other guy just recently joined, too) Ya can't go vertical like you can with an overpowered glow plane, but damned if it isn't fun to fly and impossible to damage
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Nov 04, 2001, 05:32 PM
Joined Oct 2000
103 Posts
thanks for all the replies, i forgot to add one more criteria to my search-there has to be minimal assembly! (this is getting harder and harder). I really liked the way the zagi flew that i saw once, and my only concern about the razor is that i heard *somewhere* that it didn't fly near as good. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? i may just have to save up bits and peices of pay-checks to get the zagi. Keep the thoughts coming guys, i really appreciate it! oh someoe recommended a terry, are they good. What about the sky-scooter, are they fun and aerobatic? thanks
Ryan
Old Nov 04, 2001, 05:42 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,034 Posts
No idea how much they cost in the US, but I can recommend either the Pico Jet (get the Combat version if 'tough' is a requirement) or Twin Jet. The TJ doesn't need a small rx, which might keep the costs down if you already have standard size r/c gear.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 04, 2001, 06:22 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,903 Posts
Another choice is the Alienator from ripmax.its now being carried by tower hobbies. $79.99 with a motor isn't bad either.in october E.F.I. there was a small review of this plane along with other new products from ripmax.yes its a arf! Choose wisely my son.!stefanP

"Ghost rider requesting a Fly BY"
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 04, 2001, 11:02 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
It's the charger that's going to lighten your wallet more than you'd think (about $100-get a decent one).

If you can find a TwinJet, get one. It's $110 for the kit (incl 2 motors) and fits in the trunk easily. You'd have to add radio gear, ESC and battery pack (8 cell Sub-C).
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Nov 04, 2001, 11:08 PM
Senior Moment
Woburn, MA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
624 Posts
You heard that from a Zagi pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by RG5384
my only concern about the razor is that i heard *somewhere* that it didn't fly near as good
A Zagi pilot at my club was going to buy a new Zagi (his old one is 'soft' in the center), but then he saw my FMA Razor and decided to forgo all the tape work required on a Zagi. He's going to get a Razor.
The Zagi pilots who have flown my Razor said that it was easier to fly than a Zagi due to it's stability. (They liked it)!

Most of the Zagi's that I've seen at my field are not running the stock motor, so some of them can climb like crazy. Of course they have to land about 4 minutes later.

An E-Zoner who owns both, wrote that the Razor makes it around the pylons faster..
I think he said something like; the Zagi was faster, but the Razor was more controllable.

I'm not sure, but I think someone recently wrote that the Zagi has problems doing an outside loop.
Maybe the Zagi drivers can comment on that.

Rich<>
rlt55 is offline Find More Posts by rlt55
Old Nov 06, 2001, 04:34 AM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
If you do enough research, you'll find people who own both who prefer the razor over the zagi. You'll also find people who prefer the zagi over the razor! I think a lot of it has to do with the early Razors breaking in half in a crash; the problem was solved when a carbon reinforcing rod was added, but it still leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. If you want a SP400 flying wing, go with a razor or zagi, either way, I think you'd be happy

I can do loops, split-S, inverted flight & outside loops on my razor- with under an hour's worth of aileron flight, not to mention I only started flying 2 months ago... I love foamie electrics- it's great not having to worry about crashing, and being able to fly anywhere I feel like!
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Nov 06, 2001, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2000
103 Posts
thanks for all the replies, i think i'll just save up and get the zagi. From what i've heard the FMA razor is good too, but the word "Stable" and "breaking in two" have kind of turned me off. While it's good that a plane is stable, it just seems like a term that is used on a trainer. I'd actually like more of a challenge when flying, as long as it's not a bad flier, however just requires a little finess at the sticks. I also had a terribly overweight and underpowered zagi and it even flew decently(sometimes). Thanks for all the help, once i get it and start putting it together i'll probably be posting alot for suggestions etc, thanks again
Ryan
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
Rocky Hill, Ct
Joined Aug 2006
28 Posts
Zagi 400

Might see what you can find on ebay, I got a Zagi 400 for a great price, now if I can only get past the simulator (cockpit master) and join a club in the spring...
Dan
Dan Bortolan is offline Find More Posts by Dan Bortolan
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Um I think this thread is like 6 years old and the Zagi he bought is probably dead and buried.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir