SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2001, 11:12 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Finally Installed Quake III - What's the Allure of these "Arena" Type Games?

I finally Installed Quake III on my Computer, I got it last Christmas but decided to play Unreal Tournament First . What is the deal with these "Arena" or "Tournament" Games? I loved Quake II & Half-Life because there were "Levels" the explore & figure out. These "Arena" games are just a Frag (Killing Fest) type of affair. I have only played Quake III for about an hour and I am getting really bored with it, ther is only like 4 arenas & I have already done them all, it just finding different ways to kill more of your opponents over & over & over!
Does anybody know of a good First Person Shooter that I can get that actually has some "LEVELS" to it?
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Nov 04, 2001, 11:27 AM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Yes they are boring, when just the game is played. But try playing it online if you want a challenge, most of the time you wont even come close to winning.
Or if you cant play online, setup 20 "bots" to the hardest level, you probably wont win there either.
Unreal is pretty much the same game, just a different look and different weapons, same idea though.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2001, 12:56 PM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
As Cue said the "Arena" type games are really aimed at online players that enjoy head to head competition against other players. There are other games that focus more on story, puzzles, and exploring. It just turns out that in many cases the game if better is it designed for one style or the other. Arena map often aren't that great for single player, and single player maps aren't so good for multiplayer.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old Nov 04, 2001, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,638 Posts
Yes, I got Quake 3 a while back and found it very different to Quake 2. I play games on a PlayStation 2, so the saving grace for Q3 has been multi-player battles ... but Timesplitters was a LOT more fun for single-player (and pretty good multi-player). Red Faction is a good 'mission based' FPS, like Q2 but with scenery you can blow up!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 04, 2001, 09:00 PM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
If you're not a fan of the multiplayer deathmatch type gameplay then you won't really like Q3A or UT much.
Q3A actually has like 20 maps, CTF and a lot more, but it is all deathmatch basically.
Personally I love Q3A, but thats because I've been a deathmatch-freak since the days of Doom over the modem.
I'm more a fan of the team-based games now such as Tribes, Tribes 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein test and CS. Looking forward to Halo.

For gameplay/atmosphere, get Deus Ex or something like that. Or Alien versus Predator, thats really cool
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Nov 05, 2001, 10:08 AM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
713 Posts
good game

Hi
I agree with you about Quake and its ofshoots ...Clive Barkers Undying is about the best game I ve played this year...a lot of enemies to do in but a good story line and a lot of exploring and figuring out to do. It dosnt get any better
urs
urs is online now Find More Posts by urs
Old Nov 05, 2001, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
Rainbow 6

if ya like realism, get this game, better yet, get Rogue Spear. there's no better feeling than putting 6, 45 ACP rounds in succession, into a badguy's head and hear the shells fall to the floor. there are also expansion packs like Urban Ops and Black Thorn (i think that's what it's called). these games are very realistic (relatively) and does make you understand the perils of CQB fighting.
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Last edited by petn7; Nov 05, 2001 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2001, 03:47 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Apr 2000
566 Posts
If you want a single player game with levels, go get No One Lives Forever. Great campy humor and elegant levels. You will love it. Another good game with great levels is Max Payne but it is really short so remember that when you buy it.
mumboender is offline Find More Posts by mumboender
Old Nov 05, 2001, 10:01 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Since we're on the subject, I was wondering if anyone is aware of any other quake 2 games other than the following which I have:

quake2, ground zero, the reckoning,zaero.

The last three are add on " mission paks" to the origenal and are actually more fun with new weapons and such.

My computer is old and slow but runs these pretty well. If there are other " mission paks", I sure would like to hear about them.

Dean
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Nov 05, 2001, 11:37 PM
Too young to be a senior.
USA
Joined Apr 2001
288 Posts
"Does anybody know of a good First Person Shooter that I can get that actually has some "LEVELS" to it?"

Soldier of Fortune the original one or you can wait for the second edition. Should be outsometime soon.
planecrash is offline Find More Posts by planecrash
Old Nov 06, 2001, 12:53 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
Theres plenty of games around that use the Quake 2 engine. Most of these have had upgrades in the graphics department so might not run too well on your computer.

Q2 engine:
Half-life <--- excellent single player
Sin
Kingpin
Heretic 2
Soldier of Fortune
Daikatana
Anachronox

Other games of the era:
Unreal
Deus Ex (enhanced Unreal engine)
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Nov 06, 2001, 06:33 AM
Okemos, Michigan
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
Re: Rainbow 6

Quote:
Originally posted by petn7
if ya like realism, get this game, better yet, get Rogue Spear. there's no better feeling than putting 6, 45 ACP rounds in succession, into a badguy's head and hear the shells fall to the floor. there are also expansion packs like Urban Ops and Black Thorn (i think that's what it's called). these games are very realistic (relatively) and does make you understand the perils of CQB fighting.
I liked the graphics in Rogue Spear, but my complaint is that it's REALLY easy to die. I played it about 10 times and gave up. I know it's not realistic to take a few rounds and live. But I wish it wasn't so darn easy to be laying on the floor two secounds after entering a room.

As a side note, my father-in-law loved the game, but didn't play it like most people would. He just sat back and "programmed" the guys to enter rooms, move around, ect. He hardly ever went in with a team to kill things. (He's a strategy gamer...)

Maybe I should get the thing back out and find some cheats...

Hmm..

-- Sean
Crete1 is offline Find More Posts by Crete1
Old Nov 06, 2001, 09:54 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,409 Posts
mumboender has given good advice. Both of those games are excellent. Max Payne requires a hefty machine, but is a wonderful gaming experience.

I've played pretty much every game in existence since computers first started appearing in people's homes. There has never been a better time to be a computer gamer. There are so many great games to choose from that it is really hard to decide between them.

My all-time favorite game, Counter-strike, has been ruined by cheating. Its just about impossible to log onto a server nowadays without encountering several people who are using cheats, and the server software is not designed to detect this. So you end up getting killed by people who shoot through walls. It really stinks because its such a great game and yet I can't recommend it right now.

Quake III is an excellent deathmatch game. I would say the best ever. But deathmatch is pretty boring. You might want to try some of the great mods out there, like Excessive or Urban Terror. One of the nice things about Q3 is that you aren't just buying the game itself, you are buying a platform on which many other games are built.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Nov 06, 2001, 03:27 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
like i was saying, Rainbow 6 shows the "perils of CQB fighting." i know what u mean, until u get the hang of it... it sux. i don't like the fact that the bad guys are SO DUMB, but make up for it with NEAR PERFECT aim. on recuit level, the bad guys will hit you if they get off a 2+ round burst and kill u if they get of a 3+ round burst. on veteran level, just as long as they fire their gun---ur a dead amn, yet they r as dumb as a turkey. the game is not hard to beat though, although there is one level where ur not allowed to shoot nebody or been seen; i only beat it by cheating.

p.s. this shows how unrealistic movie shoot-outs are, not like it matters or nething.
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Last edited by petn7; Nov 06, 2001 at 03:37 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2001, 06:53 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I have a Pentium II (Celeron) 400 with 256 MB of SDRAM. I am currently using a 3DFX Voodoo II 1000 Video Card. Will this system limit which games I can use that are out there today? Which First Person Shooter type games will work OK on my system? I am eagerly awaiting "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" which comes out like Nov. 15, will it work on the above computer?
Does RTCW qualify as a First Person Shooter Game?
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman