SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Rant
So do we worship the lamp or the light ?

1: I don't understand the part about making a helicopter do things that a real helicopter can't do.

2: When flying an rc plane or Helicopter why would one make it do things that the pilot could not survive?

I stand in awe of the people who can do these things as a part of their skill.

But for my part these objects have only one purpose, to allow me to transcend the equipment and fly that plane from inside the cockpit no longer seeing it from the ground.

I got my own first model airplane in 1953, it had wires on the ends of the wings I was 8.
Years later when I was old enough to fly it the engine wouldn't start. I attached string to it and made a handle and slung around in circles and made it fly. I was the pilot.

Yes I know 'you're not a priest and this is not a confessional', but this is an artistic experience if achieved. These things have no other purpose than to transcend our selves.

So do we worship the lamp or the light ?

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,061 Posts
Why not just fly in whatever manner pleases you. If you're looking for realism in flight, good luck to you. 3D moves, great. Happy flying
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,480 Posts
If your question is do I like flying 3D, the answer is no. It reminds me of a headless chicken thrashing around. If you ask me if like flying helis because it's a surrogate for real flying, the answer is a vehement no! I fly more than enough for my job to ever want to imagine I'm flying around as a hobby. The last thing I want to see is a view of the ground from the sky, like so many seem to enjoy creating with cameras and FPV equipment. The reason I fly is because it's a challenge. So, is that lamp or light?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Please don't be offended by my post (POU = posting under the influence). I didn't ask a question. It was a dissertation - a considered opinion on this form of subliminal experience

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:03 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
LUCY in the SKY with DIAMONDS .
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:47 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Flying a rc helicopter is my way of reaching toward the heavens through my unrealized inner most desire to soar beyond the constraints of my earthly ability from a distant perspective looking back down at my soul, but not seeing.

Nah - I just fly cause it's fun!.

(Just havin' some fun with ya Sculptor - and just remember - you started it).
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
I do it because I have far to much money in my bank account and need to reduce it quickly
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
1: I don't understand the part about making a helicopter do things that a real helicopter can't do.

2: When flying an rc plane or Helicopter why would one make it do things that the pilot could not survive?
Same reason people climb mountains when there's nothing up there...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,095 Posts
neither , just this one http://www.cuervo.com/default.aspx
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Last edited by jombo; May 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:32 AM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
30+ years ago, built my first plane, little 4ch setup trainer. Finally learned to fly it and immediately started pushing it beyond its limits because the limits got boring. It finally crashed beyond repair. Worked my way up to pylon competition and so you flew to beat the other guy which back in that day (all gas, no electrics) it meant the willingness to possibly destroy your several hundred dollars worth of equipment, which I did. Nothing has changed. I can barely hover a 3D craft and keep telling myself all I really want to do is sport flying but I know if I ever get good at that, I will then flirt with 3D and crash, crash, crash.

There is something in the human psyche (at least in the male one) that makes us want to push past "normal". Especially if you fly in competitive events. No one wants 2nd place (first loser) and so you "do what it takes" to win which often leads to "doing what it takes to crash". Women are equally competitive but in my experience a little brighter than their male counter parts and will pull up just short of stupid. I can see where a real certificated pilot would not be as inclined to do stupid.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416