Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
Discussion
mqx, msr x, or mcx2 for a beginner?

hey guys. i have been eyeing these helicopters for some time now, and would like to know, which one would be best for a beginner in helis (who has plane experience and a dx6i radio) that plans on advancing to CP helis (mcpx)?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
well the mqx is not for the faint of heart verry stable but reacts fast verry fun and flies verry well . recommended for med skill.
msrx harder to fly than the msr but its fbl a bit touchy with the stock tx .
mcx2 . ( yawn ) you will want more it almost flies its self .

my vote mqx .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
thanks. 1 for mqx, 0 others. anyone else?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, VT, Bennington
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Since you have a DX6i, you might be able to start off with an MSRx (maybe even an MCPx, I've got mine tamed right down on the DX6i) no problem. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who did four flights with a coaxial, five with a Trex 100s, tenish with a Blade 120SR and went straight to an MCPx.. I've only done about an hour on a sim so far.. I'm waiting for my replacement cable to come in. Maybe it's the years of video games, but I never crashed my MCPx until trying to do crazy stuff like flips or whatnot. It's a tough beast.. all I do is pop the main gear back on and we're good to go. At best you scuff up a blade and break the landing gear.. $5 to fix.
Etkini is offline Find More Posts by Etkini
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
The MQx tames down very nicely with a DX6i. Plus, when you are ready, you can dial up the limits and do flips in about 3 feet of space. My vote is MQx. It has a much broader performance range than the MSRx and is nearly indestructible. MCX2 is not for just fooling around, it won't teach you much.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Disregard coax, the advances in singlerotor and multirotor have made them obsolete.

120SR is the newest model I own and it's like a well-behaved pet I take out for walks. Breeze keeps it amusing, never know what that's going to do. It's also a size that is not too hard to orient at some distance.

MSRX and MCPX get very small very fast as they fly away from you. If you have young eyes that may be less an issue than it is for me. But that size fits living spaces better than 120 size so consider where you will mostly be operating it.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:11 AM
Farmer
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
hey guys. i have been eyeing these helicopters for some time now, and would like to know, which one would be best for a beginner in helis (who has plane experience and a dx6i radio) that plans on advancing to CP helis (mcpx)?
Heres my opinion, you have a dx6i buy a flight sim or a cable so you can learn what control input does what, learn how to hover on the sim buy the mcpx and have at it, I been flying helis for only 6 months, my first heli was a genius cp pretty much the same as a mcpx... now im flying a mcpx v1 bl, mcpx v2 stock.. a trex 450 pro 3gx and compass 7HV all In a short peried of time..

Point Im trying to make is that a coax heli or fix pitch heli will teach you more bad habbits then good when switching to a cp heli like slaming the throttle down before you crash, delayed cyclic reaction.. Do that with a cp and u will be sweeping into a trash can

Basicly you will be trying to learn cp and trying to break the cx n fp bad habbits at thd same time which will hamper ur learning progress lol

Just my 2 <-D

Farmer

Btw heres me flying my mcpx after only 5 months of flying helis..

Blade mCpx V2 Stock 3D Flight With Walkera 6mm Tail motor (3 min 1 sec)

There is a heli magazine that I read and it talks about what your first heli should be ill find the artical and post it for you

Farmer
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:21 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
^^^^^ good point but remember that he will not be flying in idle up mode right away so it will be no different than the fp heli . and when skilled enfugh to go idle up by then he will have learned that throttle hold will cut power for him ( i hope ).
if not like you said ( clean up on isle 5 and bring a trash bag ) .
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:18 AM
Farmer
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
^^^^^ good point but remember that he will not be flying in idle up mode right away so it will be no different than the fp heli . and when skilled enfugh to go idle up by then he will have learned that throttle hold will cut power for him ( i hope ).
if not like you said ( clean up on isle 5 and bring a trash bag ) .
I always fly in idle up and as I did when I was learning but that is how I was taught..

But like you said he can fly his mcpx like a fp heli and use throttle cut..

There are so many aproaches to this.. Lol

He has a dx6i he could also buy a mqx and fly in heli mode and set up a throtle cut.. That way when he goes to cp helis he will already have the throttle cut down..

My 2nd vote goes to the MQX because its just plain fun to fly lol

Heres my mqx at night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeUS...e_gdata_player
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:46 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
The little quad will probably give more stick time. Not to mention being a whole lot of fun. Stable, quick, maneuverable and fairly obedient...Not gonna be on the bench as much. These new 100 size durable CPs are much more resilient than their predecessors, they do break.
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
okay thanks guys. i guess i will get the mqx then. thanks for all the input!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
okay thanks guys. i guess i will get the mqx then. thanks for all the input!
The only problem you will have is finding one. They sell out really fast, everywhere. There's one for sale here in the electric heli want ads.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621371. Hurry before I buy it for a spare.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
okay thanks balr14. only problem is that i wont be buying one until my summer vacation starts in June.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined May 2011
4,399 Posts
hmm i have a change of plans. now i dont plan on moving up to CP helis but instead am just looking for something that i can fly indoors as well as outdoors and won't become boring after a while.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:05 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
mqx indoor( can be done may be hairy) but dooable . out door fun all day !!!