SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Questions about video (and RC) reception while flying in mountains, cliffs, etc.

I've been playing with FPV, working toward polarized antennas and the like. I live at the base of some mountains, and I would love to explore them with FPV. I would have plenty to see within a 5 mile radius.

Let me describe the (hypothetical) scenario:
Say I'm flying the plane away from myself toward a cliff which rises above me 1 mile away. My plane has altitude to pass 15ft above the cliff. As it has been approaching the cliff, I had good video reception and an open Fresnel zone. After it passes over the cliff, suddenly the Fresnel zone is blocked by the ground below the plane.

Here's my question-- does my video signal suddenly drop massively?

Then, as I fly around valleys and rock formations, will be video signal be in jeopardy whenever I lose line-of-sight, or something blocks the Fresnel zone?

Does anyone have firsthand experience with flying FPV in mountains?
Jonathan.kichizi is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan.kichizi
Last edited by Jonathan.kichizi; Mar 26, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts