HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:15 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
I liked watching the ace in hole video from last year with all the edf's in the air and everybody still able to keep their distance from each other for the most part..The problem is that most flying fields out there(No-club)Municipal parks like here in wilmington the air is full of foamies on any saturday morning..There is no ryme or reason to where they have been or where they are going..Throw in a handful of firsttime pilots trying to get their T28 airbourne running with the wind...Not to mention there are 10 guys all the way at the opposite end flying out towrds the other group...Luckily 90% of the planes are inexpensive parkzone foamies..But it can be downright crazy watching it all...Also lucky the place is monstrous...
whats crazy is there are at least 5 places to go and fly all by yourself..I've never seen a single person fly at the field I go to right down the road where they have 3 schools and a huge municipal park that houses10 soccer/lacrosse fields and throw in another 7 or 8 baseball fields....Huge place and always lots of clear airspace with no people around...
Chris
LOL im sure glad are club is laid back easy going, you can go out on any day but the weekend and own the place, and sometimes you can own it on the weekend. Now on the other hand you have a club close to the airport not saying the name but you better have a spotter and eyes in the back of your head, planes headed in all directions. And even be on alert when you are just visiting. Just too crazy for me to join that one!!
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:32 PM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
No..........
The arrogant behaviour of the turbine guy that felt he did not have to fly the pattern is one factor.
The lack of a (worthwhile) spotter is the other.

Your turbine mentor/buddy ought to have gotten his check book out on the spot and written a check to the guy he speared.......

Now; that said, the COURTEOUS thing to do would have been for the victim to wait 'till the turbine had landed.
Don't suppose that guy had a suitable spotter either?
I agree with Mike, fly the pattern. If you notice the guy with the jet had to do a left hand button hook just to land.

You would think the Jet pilot would be more expereinced and would know better.
I fly turbines and I blame the jet guy.

Sad that some people get a turbine waiver.

Clay
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,941 Posts
Why should anyone EVER have to wait until someone else lands? At jet meets you can easily have 5-6 jets flying and there are no issues because we fly in the pattern. That guy flying the mirage was a moron and should pay for that other guy's plane. I fly back and forth up and down the runway all the time.....BUT, only when no one else is flying and if I see someone getting ready to fly, I say "just let me know when you are ready and I will jump back in the pattern." That's just how its done. I don't make people wait until I am done and hog the air. Some people don't feel comfortable going up while someone is flying an expensive jet flying, but that doesn't mean they should not be able to. Just fly the pattern and have a spotter and everyone will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockshah View Post
THE guy should of waited til he landed. They were the only two planes at the field left. ONe cost about 20k the other one $600bucks. THE jet took off first. THE guy should of used common sense and just wait 10mins and than go up.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:05 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,455 Posts
We do the same thing down under, fly the pattern unless you are on your own, club rules are there for a reason, if they were both travelling in the same direction the hit would not have been as bad. If you cannot fly a model in both left and right hand circuits at your regular field then get your 40 size trainer back out and practise!!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
Jet pilot was a horrible pilot anyway. See that landing? So many horrible pilots on utube with turbines. They buy a couple foamies and then they think they are ready for turbines. If you got the money you can do whatever you want.
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:59 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Yes I agree..To have a 40 lbs aircraft and land like that is horrible,...That thing took a 4 ft. hop there at the end..And 1 other comment..Why did he not immediately land..He could have had linkages right on the verge of failure and turned that thing into a killer!!Person,car,any number of things could have been destroyed by this dumb***....He should have turned to the downwind and then put that thing on the deck..
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,380 Posts
I guess he was freaked out by the whole thing

landing was def bad, also was fully loaded with fuel since he was only flying for 2 mins,
sherlockshah is offline Find More Posts by sherlockshah