HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
Norfolk, MA
Joined May 2008
12 Posts
Question
Need Help w/ St Model Fox Power System after a crash

Hi All,

I have an St Model Fox EP, which can be found here: www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p

I took her out on a very windy day and proceeded to have a short but memorable flight... nosed-dived straight into ground... Frankly, I believe my setup (esp. elevevator or CG) was way off.

Although the crash did not do a whole lot of damage too fuse, etc., the motor mount was cracked in which I proceeded to make a new one (I have all dimensions if someone would like/need).

Put motor back in, and tried to run without success. Basically the motor, when applying throttle, just wiggles back and forth a bit and stops. Bring throttle to off, then reapply throttle, does the same quivering of the prop w/ no real revolutions on the prop/motor.

I tried to check if the ESC brake was on, but to do that, I need to "hear" one or two beeps after power/battery connected, which I do not... nothing.. no beeps whatsoever. Just the twitching of the prop. Without the beeps, I cannot tell if brake is on, so I followed procedure for turning the ESC brake OFF and ON, and off and on.. etc. Same result.

What do you suppose is the problem? The ESC gone? The motor broken? I have no idea, as this is my first electric powered aircraft.

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want to replace parts just at random w/o knowing what specifically should be replaced and why.

I thank you in advance for your time and help.

Don
fishingships is offline Find More Posts by fishingships
Last edited by fishingships; Mar 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Changed from Discussion to Question Status
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingships View Post
Hi All,

I have an St Model Fox EP, which can be found here: www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p

I took her out on a very windy day and proceeded to have a short but memorable flight... nosed-dived straight into ground... Frankly, I believe my setup (esp. elevevator or CG) was way off.

Although the crash did not do a whole lot of damage too fuse, etc., the motor mount was cracked in which I proceeded to make a new one (I have all dimensions if someone would like/need).

Put motor back in, and tried to run without success. Basically the motor, when applying throttle, just wiggles back and forth a bit and stops. Bring throttle to off, then reapply throttle, does the same quivering of the prop w/ no real revolutions on the prop/motor.

I tried to check if the ESC brake was on, but to do that, I need to "hear" one or two beeps after power/battery connected, which I do not... nothing.. no beeps whatsoever. Just the twitching of the prop. Without the beeps, I cannot tell if brake is on, so I followed procedure for turning the ESC brake OFF and ON, and off and on.. etc. Same result.

What do you suppose is the problem? The ESC gone? The motor broken? I have no idea, as this is my first electric powered aircraft.

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want to replace parts just at random w/o knowing what specifically should be replaced and why.

I thank you in advance for your time and help.

Don
check all motor wires (all 3) one or more is either broken or disconnected from the ESC...if you are lucky it's just disconnected or broken outside the motor and you just resolder it....and if really unlucky and it's broken on the inside, you'll be out of luck.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong