HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:11 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,286 Posts
Would it be OK to scan and post an old magazine article in the forum or is that a no no.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
That's a good question, I have a few as well. I know Google has archived some of the old magazine online already. But that's Google, who knows what kind of license agreement they have going on.
Shawnner is offline Find More Posts by Shawnner
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Id post it, the worst that would happen is it would be taken down, remember “fate favors the bold”. Legally I would think that “fair use” would apply as your not trying to sell article copies.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:58 AM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Google = license, they don't bother with those.
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Alright, I'll make two separate posts. Here is the Radio Control Boat Modeler cover story article from February, 1996.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Here is the U.S. Radio Control Boat & Ship Modeler cover story article from Summer, 1996.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Nice and thank you!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
No problem at all, in fact it was fun to read these again!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Yes, yes it was. Thank you again, still no luck on a copy for me but I do have my eyes peeled.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
Yes, yes it was. Thank you again, still no luck on a copy for me but I do have my eyes peeled.
Of the boat or the magazine ?
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old May 07, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Of the boat or the magazine ?
gpzy I am looking for the boat.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Just a quick update. I've actually run a few times with miserable results. No big surprise but 16 year old NiMh batteries don't exactly hold their charge even though they act like it coming off the charger. So no videos yet. The good news is I've made it to my birthday which is next week and have my eyes on ordering a whole new set-up.

I do look at my test runs with a positive light. The pond I found is close and it rocks. My raft is totally awesome, inflating and deflating in minutes. Finally the hydrofoil itself looks really good on the water with it's new bright orange paint job and it doesn't sink.

So for the new guts, keep in mind the boat is only 24" long and made out of ABS. I will need to get creative with water cooling since there just isn't a lot of room in the hull but I will figure it out - I'm a man possessed to get this thing flying across the water. I want to do it right and on a limited budget to boot.

Using some of the online resources and a few friends' opinions I think I should be pretty good with the following.

Motor: Leopard 3650-3650kv2V
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...Leopard+Motors

ESC: HobbyWing SeaKing 180
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-180a.html

And now the batteries... I have NO clue. Any help will be appreciated. I have a very good charger (Racer's Edge 2010) but have never worked with LiPo before. It looks like I want to run 2S but 4S will of course be faster. I can't risk melting or exploding my boat for a little more speed. Any thoughts?
Old May 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
That's WAY more motor and ESC than you need, and I doubt it'll all fit in there.

4s won't always be faster, you just get the same power with less amps drawn. I doubt you'll fit 4s5000mah in that hull though.

You could run a 2860 leopard 4050kv with a Turnigy 120a ESC (or even smaller probably, but they're cheap and reliable) on 2s5000mah and have a reliable setup that won't blow the hull to pieces.

If it were mine, I would try just swapping in a 2s5000mah lipo pack first to see how that wakes up the motor in it. You might find that's enough speed for you.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old May 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
I like that thinking. I can run lipo without all the cut off settings set up by the new esc systems? Sorry for such noob questions.- I've read all the "read this first" type posts on lipo and still feel overwhelmed.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:43 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
You can run it, just time your runs and keep the first runs short to see how much the pack is depleted. You want to keep 20% of the pack capacity in it at all times, so if it's 5000mah pack you don't want to be discharging more than 4000ma.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons