HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
975 Posts
Here is a link to the thread I made for the Popular Science Hydro. Just like Kcal, my original exposure to that boat was before I could afford or build the kit. Coming back to it later on was a total thrill.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904885
cyberhoops is online now Find More Posts by cyberhoops
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Yeah you are right. However it's not so much whether or not a hobbiest could do what you are saying. If anything something like that could help advance the progress of the design. Seat time is everything.

Not to get on a soap box but the problem is based more on principle. My dad has spent the past 40 years of his life developing, testing and perfecting his foil designs. He made sure to protect them with US patents every step of the way. The one time he released his boats to the mass market some German manufacturing company takes one, hands it over to one if their engineers in an office or something and says here, copy this.

But that was a long time ago and today is a new day! Full steam ahead right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
Lol umm how to break it o you, measurements and some angles on the foils front and back and the industrious will be able to re-create their own but I agree there is nothing like the real thing. Recommendations for you if I may switch props and look for something in beryllium copper from Octura (I do not know how the boat behaves but here is a link that explains what they offer http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597706 depending on what you are trying to achieve). Next up is switch from brushed to brushless (50% more power minimum) yes Astro Flight was the best of the best and they still demand a premium for their quality but there are more powerful choices. LiPos are next due to their storage capacities and lighter weight. If there is a speed limit on your hydrofoil these will allow you to explore it. My two cents and I am still jealous you have one and I donít. I would personally love to see a video.
Shawnner is offline Find More Posts by Shawnner
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Fantastic build! I love your attention to detail it is inspiring me to make sure I take my time and do things right. I'm mobile right now, waiting in a dentist office for my wife. Can't wait to get home and watch your videos. Thanks for sharing. I'll say it again, this website and everyone here rocks. So happy I joined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhoops View Post
Here is a link to the thread I made for the Popular Science Hydro. Just like Kcal, my original exposure to that boat was before I could afford or build the kit. Coming back to it later on was a total thrill.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904885
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
“Not to get on a soap box but the problem is based more on principle. My dad has spent the past 40 years of his life developing, testing and perfecting his foil designs. He made sure to protect them with US patents every step of the way. The one time he released his boats to the mass market some German manufacturing company takes one, hands it over to one if their engineers in an office or something and says here, copy this.”

Sadly I totally understand and don’t blame you one bit. However I would appreciate if you could point out to your dad that with his RC creation he really inspired a lot of us to think out of the box and dream a bit further.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Sadly I totally understand and don’t blame you one bit. However I would appreciate if you could point out to your dad that with his RC creation he really inspired a lot of us to think out of the box and dream a bit further.
Well that is the nicest thing to say and very much appreciated. Consider it done.

For anyone out there looking for boats... Maybe there's a way to try and start some sort of cataloging system to try and track down how many are still out there and survived? The other day I saw a thread on here from a few years ago where folks were listing the hydrofoils they have. Although it may have been within a thread of how many boats do you have in total.

Maybe start fresh and see where it goes? Not sure exactly but I'd imagine a good idea will present itself, especially now that the boats are being discussed again.
Last edited by Shawnner; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Ha already started in the for sale/wanted section, I have found another owner but sadly he’s not parting with his either. He did however kindly offer to keep an eye out for me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623163
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Sweet! That's a good idea.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Hey Shawnner...what happened to the video tapes of your dad testing those hydros at Okeeheelee? Maybe you could try to convert them to digital for folks to check out.
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Yeah I'm trying to track that stuff down. Unfortunately he lost a lot of files when you guys were pounded during that 1998 hurricane season. But you are reading my mind. Anything I can find will go on YouTube ASAP.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Here's one in the UK on ebay!!

Get in fast!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Robbe-Ski-...-/140578437839
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
I think it ended but was also a Robbe version. Original box too for about 92 bucks. I'd love to see one of those.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:53 AM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Just build a rigger tub as I had to and make the foils out of Alum. sheet but reinforce the top horizonal part of the foil, mount the foils about 1" ahead of the CG, the add rudder foils to rudder. I made my foiled rudder and out of brass sheet.
Its not that hard!
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:57 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,605 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to experiment a little with this concept. It looks like a good match for a boat I'd like to do...
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Mozzy,

I appreciate you looking out thank you very much however I am in the market for an original hydrofoils inc. version.

Shawn,

Where is the video or at least more pictures we are all patiently waiting.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Mozzy,

I appreciate you looking out thank you very much however I am in the market for an original hydrofoils inc. version.

Shawn,

Where is the video or at least more pictures we are all patiently waiting.

Hah!! Thanks for the motivational fuel! I work two jobs so my spare time is minimal, but I assure you it's all being spent on this boat.

I'm in the process of disassembling my purple boat and working on a build blog, snapping pics along the way. Right now my photos (old electronics and guts) are a little boring but I need to start somewhere.

I ran some basic tests and it looks like unfortunately either the radio or the old Tekin marine speed control is dead. There's just no life, with all electronics out of the hull and wired up. My next step will be to borrow one of my Traxxas radios to see if I can get it to work or not.

The radio powers up so if I need an ESC is there anything you'd recommend? I'd prefer to of course go brushless but not immediately if I don't have to. So I'll need an ESC that can handle an old cobalt motor for testing then upgrade later with brushless.