SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Gallery
Hydrofoils Inc. 24E Zytiron

Figure I may as well toss up a few pics of the boat I hope to get running. This is my Fast Electric Hydrofoil called the 24E Zytiron. It's been about about 16 years since I've run it but a quick float check proves she's still pond worthy. It's been a long time since I've run boats so I have a lot to learn all over again. I went around and joined a few forums this weekend so I'm off and running in that respect!
Shawnner is offline Find More Posts by Shawnner
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,653 Posts
Wow! Kit? Scratchbuilt? Love the foils!
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
It's from a kit, they were available years ago. This thing must move pretty good with the astro 05 in it, if I remember right they were designed for 540 car motors.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Thanks for the replies!!

I'm lucky enough to have been a part of the development of these kits oh so many years ago. My dad owns and operates the company Hydrofoils Inc. Back in the early 90's it was the right time and the right place to produce and test these kits on the market.

I was the resident RC guy (kid) in the house so I was "factory test pilot" for all his RC projects. Lots of fun times to be had! )

These electric kits were a blast back then but have seen more dust than water over the years. Now, I'm completely addicted to RC all over again and the boat bug has finally bitten. I'm hoping with the advancements in brushless and LiPo I'll see a new level out of fun and excitement out of this boat!
Last edited by Shawnner; Mar 26, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Here's another photo of an earlier design up and running. This was a press release photo we ended up using all over the place.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
I have been looking for one of those for years, figures you had to be family to get a hold of one! All kidding aside I remember seeing them advertised in RC Boat magazine for a very short time but being rather young funds were quite short. While I am not family if you happen to have a spare floating around in need of a good home please let me know. Thank you for sharing!
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Hah - I hear you loud and clear. In fact I'm only just getting into a financial position to try and get mine back in the water!!

We sold a good bit from what I recall. Anywhere from 1 to 3 a week over the course of about two years. A decent shipment went to China of all places. I remember a few stacks of boxes going out the door that time. We were really busy getting those guys ready.

Like so many new things it seemed public interest eventually waned and I transferred colleges. The kits we had eventually sold off and that was that. "Missed it by THAT much."
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
You may already know but keep an eye out for a Robbe F1 Skiboot. They look to have copied our design pretty closely right about the time we were ramping down production. Much bigger company so there could be more of their boats out there. Just not as fast as ours. Lol!!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
I have been looking for one of those for years, figures you had to be family to get a hold of one! All kidding aside I remember seeing them advertised in RC Boat magazine for a very short time but being rather young funds were quite short. While I am not family if you happen to have a spare floating around in need of a good home please let me know. Thank you for sharing!
Heck, I'd settle for a set of the foils!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnner View Post
Hah - I hear you loud and clear. In fact I'm only just getting into a financial position to try and get mine back in the water!!

We sold a good bit from what I recall. Anywhere from 1 to 3 a week over the course of about two years. A decent shipment went to China of all places. I remember a few stacks of boxes going out the door that time. We were really busy getting those guys ready.

Like so many new things it seemed public interest eventually waned and I transferred colleges. The kits we had eventually sold off and that was that. "Missed it by THAT much."
When you do get her back in the water, please post some video. I'm sure we'd all love to see it on the water!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Absolutely - and really thanks for all the interest it helps keep me motivated!

I've officially found the lake the locals guys run at here and can't believe how close it is to my office - 3.5 miles away. It's as though the RC Gods are shining down upon me. Pics attached here.

My office mates are really excited to see it go too, so I'll be able to have someone film the runs. May only be phone video initially but it will be something versus nothing. My ultimate goal is to be running again by my birthday at the end of May. I should hopefully be able to score some play money for anything left that I may need to run.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,050 Posts
I did a version of the Popular Science hydrofoil a few years back. It had a similar in-swept foil design, but a pusher air prop for power instead of a partially submerged drive system.

I had problems as I pushed the boat to go faster where it would get the front foils up out of the water on a turn and then stuff the nose into the water.

Still it was a fun project to build and run. I look forward to see how this one turns out.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Thanks Jim!!

Was that one of those Water Bugs? Without seeing it run first hand my initial thoughts were perhaps it was too short which made it a little nose heavy? Just a shot.

I'm really digging this website, just watched a few videos from Subdave and his Waterbug build thread. Checked out your blog too, absolutely stunning builds of all those classic scale hydros. You do excellent work. I was able to see a lot of those boats run at the Unlimited races down in the Miami Marine Stadium. Your pics really took me back.

I'll make sure to document any major steps along the way and share as much info as I can.

--Shawn
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Lol umm how to break it o you, measurements and some angles on the foils front and back and the industrious will be able to re-create their own but I agree there is nothing like the real thing. Recommendations for you if I may switch props and look for something in beryllium copper from Octura (I do not know how the boat behaves but here is a link that explains what they offer http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597706 depending on what you are trying to achieve). Next up is switch from brushed to brushless (50% more power minimum) yes Astro Flight was the best of the best and they still demand a premium for their quality but there are more powerful choices. LiPos are next due to their storage capacities and lighter weight. If there is a speed limit on your hydrofoil these will allow you to explore it. My two cents and I am still jealous you have one and I don’t. I would personally love to see a video.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
The stand is actually pretty cool too! A really unique, intuitive and neat product, part of what made America great.