HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Help!
MRP Gentry Eagle Power Choice

I recently acquired a MRP Gentry Eagle hull. It is made of ABS/polystyrene and originally ran three 540/550’s straight shaft 1/8th inch drives. She is 40.5in by 9.5in and quite light. I will be changing it to a 3/16th stinger in the middle and two 3/16th out drive rudder combos. Which leads me to my question would three generic 9XL’s http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html
direct drives on three to four cell LiPos work well and if so what props should I use? I have two 100 amp speed controls and will also be looking for a third. Help not smoking all three would also be a good thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,330 Posts
Did you get the one that was listed on Ebay?

I have an MRP Fountain, and yes, they are very light!!

I was toying with the idea of getting the one on ebay and removing the to outer motors and shaft bulbs underneath. Then i was going to use the center drive with a 3674 -4 poler from Hobbyking on 6s. The boat doesnt need anything more than a 3674 or a 4074 for all the speed it can handle(it was made to go about 20 mph)

This is the motor, its backordered at the moment - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html

Here's a 4074 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html

Got any pics?
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Ha ha scorp I sent you pics of the Fountain I still have to build a hatch as I lost it in about 92 in a golf course pond on Longboat Key in FL. I am currently thinking of a Bud Select Fountain I also thought of red hull with a gas turbine look undecided on her. This is the Gentry Eagle a totally different but record holding boat, more scale yacht yet still fast. I will never forget how the wife looked at me when I said I shouldn’t have it but I HAVE to buy it!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Ok so three Turnigy 3674 two poles at 1650 kv running 3/16th drive hardware recommended props please I just need one counter rotating.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
I am also getting quite good at styrene repair so if you have any questions please ask and I will do my best. Pictures shortly if they are needed or requested.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:10 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,330 Posts
Pics!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:48 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
Ok so three Turnigy 3674 two poles at 1650 kv running 3/16th drive hardware recommended props please I just need one counter rotating.
Hi Kcal,

If I understand correctly, Scorp means just one(1) motor is sufficient, three of those is 'slightly' overkill.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:21 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi Kcal,

If I understand correctly, Scorp means just one(1) motor is sufficient, three of those is 'slightly' overkill.

Regards, Jan.
Yep, just one in the center posistion is what i meant..............its very light i imagine and 3 motors would darn near shred the hull.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Ha ha thank you for pointing that out, what would be the recommendation for three motors, the full sized hull ran twin diesels on Kamewa water jets with a gas turbine spinning an Arneson surface drive in the middle. On my version I won’t be using water jets as I have never seen one more efficient then a prop and I just wouldn’t use them unless there was a specific reason. I will be using strut/rudder combinations outboard with a stinger in the middle. I know there are better ways to achieve maximum top speed on a single motor and multiples needlessly add weight and complexity but it’s what I would like to do here. Besides dual motors sound really cool and I kind of wonder what triples would sound like. Thank you both very much thus far and if either of you have a better recommendation please let me know.

I will get some pictures going here shortly thus far its basically been splitting the hull, repairing cracks, enlarging the rear hatch and strengthening parts of the deck. Transom and bottom of the hull will be next.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:10 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,330 Posts
I would possibly go with brushed 550 Titans on 14.8v if you want to use three motors.................
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:46 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
If you want to stay brushless, I bet that three 2860's would be tons of power.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:51 AM
Another Dumb Canadian
Joined Feb 2012
201 Posts
Post some pics - I used to have one of those with a 32 cell ( nicad ) Astroflight cobalt 60 setup .
Punisher_67 is offline Find More Posts by Punisher_67
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Hey punisher I appreciate the interest a nifty and historical hull, I got the Chinese strut rudder combos for her today and while I feel for my American brethren but it wouldn’t be happening at a higher price point. She is coming along well and I am still trying to wrestle twenty year old styrene into a fair representation. As stated I am looking for triple power, Astros were always a bit beyond my financial reach but I am glad you have fond MRP memories too. I also have a Fountain thread with twin powered hull to match good boats and great people in my humble opinion.