SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:17 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,915 Posts
Discussion
Quadcopter for aerial videography?

Hello. I am a professional street luge racer and I also make videos for fun, you can see one of my videos here:

IGSA NorAM Street Luge Racing - P.U.L.S.e Edition (4 min 55 sec)

I have been thinking of adding aerial videography to my repertoire. I have close to 20 years of radio control flying experience with airplanes and close to 10 with helicopters. I can and do fly pretty much anything (with the exception of turbines... for now).

Since I travel around the world I'm mostly looking for a quadcopter that is inexpensive, light, easy to pack and can carry a Contour HD camera, about 5 ounces. Also, something stable would be fantastic. I was thinkiing of converting my old, unused Logo 10, but decided it was too cumbersome and fragile for my intended use.

During the limited amount of research I've done I stumbled across the X535

X525

It looks like it would fit the bill, but I would need to add a camera mount to it. I was thinking something along the lines of the the tilting camera mount from Hobby King (I already own one, just haven't bothered putting it on anything).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Gear_.html

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Frank
Frank,

Look at the last half of the VC-450 thread (LINK) and I think you'll get an idea of what's capable with these little machines. I would guess there are at least a dozen quads equally as good (and in the same price range) as the VC-450. You don't have to spend a lot to get impressive results. Experience cannot be purchased.

I had a VC-450 - it was phenomenal but again, there may be others that are just as good, perhaps even better but the frame is not going to be the most important part of your adventure.

Also, I believe there's no substitute for FPV when you need to create the best shots/videos, especially for what you want to do with it.

I personally don't need a controller that includes vertical lock but some people claim it's important for their needs. I use inexpensive controllers with inexpensive copters.

Whether it's street luge, aerial photography, or just about anything else, the most important upgrade isn't hardware, it's experience. I started with a Gaui 330X-S and moved up twice. Getting better equipment wasn't really necessary because I didn't fully take advantage of the functionality of the early quads (although I do enjoy having a much more reliable and higher performing machine).

Just some random thoughts - good luck.

OH --> And way cool video!
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Last edited by Buzz_Man; Mar 25, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,051 Posts
I sell the complete DJI line and offer free 2-3 day priority mail shipping. I ship all orders within 1 business day and E-mail a tracking number. The F450/F550 are the hottest selling multis right now hands down. Checkout the kits I sell-> http://rc-drones.com/kits.php
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor