HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
Discussion
Network attached storage

Anyone out there got a NAS on their home network? i am looking at the WD My Book live and it appears to be a sweet little unit. Boasts Time Machine compatibility as well as remote access via iPhone apps, Mac and PC. Only concern is some recent ramblings about firmware problems and bricked drives.

If anyone has any experience with this unit or a better solution please advise
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
That sounds nice. But I'll never use a device with a proprietary file system format again. Been bit too many times. I won't even use hardware raid for the same reason (for personal use). If i cant plug it into some other device and know i can get to my data, then nope. There's no guarantee that the next version will be able to read your drive. You might find an old one on eBay, but that's not a plan, IMO

Now, at work where the budget allows for 24/7 system support from the manufacturer, and they have a replacement part available within a few hours notice, or I can keep a spare on hand, then that's another story.

But that's just me. And if your data don't matter, then who cares.

I just realized none of that really answered your question. I threw together a small Linux machine as a file server. Or two.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Last edited by saltyzoo; Mar 25, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
Not sure that it is proprietary. Did you read that somewhere?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Not sure that it is proprietary. Did you read that somewhere?
I've yet to see a consumer NAS that wasn't. But no, I don't know for sure.
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
The only real downer I see outside of possible firmware bugs is the fact that it has no external interface aside from ethernet. No USB for redundant backup/direct access
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
91 Posts
Avoid all of that and turn an older PC into a NAS drive using FreeNas
http://www.freenas.org/
Peacemakr40 is offline Find More Posts by Peacemakr40
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:24 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Anyone out there got a NAS on their home network? i am looking at the WD My Book live and it appears to be a sweet little unit. Boasts Time Machine compatibility as well as remote access via iPhone apps, Mac and PC. Only concern is some recent ramblings about firmware problems and bricked drives.

If anyone has any experience with this unit or a better solution please advise
QNAP it, with WD drives... tell me what you are doing in detail, I'll point you in the right direction.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
yeah, I researched all that and could easily build one up that would more than meet my needs. I'm looking for a nice tidy package though. Something not noisy and small footprint
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Quote:
yeah, I researched all that and could easily build one up that would more than meet my needs. I'm looking for a nice tidy package though. Something not noisy and small footprint
QNAP... its one of the best, reasonable cost ways to do NAS.

Big drives are cheap... the NAS part is where you need to focus.

You will want RAID 1 coverage, as a given...

QNAP uses RedHat OS, and works with everything... push back ups to DRV, cloud systems... etc... You can also "publish" content... and if you are using Windows7, you can quickly set your "User Folders" like pictures, or music, to always use NAS.

This alone is the reason to do NAS right... I have 3 screaming PC's that use a local SSD (Solid state drive) to boot, and host programs... all the DATA is always on NAS.

With Raid1, and properly setting up Win7 to use NAS... is total peice of mind, that the data which matters is backed up, always...

Start here:
http://www.qnap.com/USEng/pro_detail...e.asp?p_id=211
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
The capabilities that turn me on with the WD solution are: Time Machine comaptibilty, apps for iPhone/iPad and file/photo etc access remotely.

What I really need is Time Machine backup and Win backup

iTunes server would be kewl too for streaming
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:08 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
QNAP...

You don't need Time machine or Win Back up... though you can always back up when you want... NAS is not cheap backup system...

Take your time, that's why I asked about you real goals, if you are thinking NAS...

Talk to me, what exactly are you thinking when you say "streaming iTunes" ?

Read the link I supplied... and spend time on what NAS provides... a glorified itty bitty external drive called NAS... ain't NAS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:10 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Here's a real NAS drive specification... and its cost... RAID 1 requires 2 of these.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch...etitle=Western Digital WD1003FBYX RE4 1TB 7200RPM, 64MB Cache
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:22 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
I run / use what I'm suggesting, as a real NAS setup... its flawless... and I stream video as well to my tv locations via a 1 gig LAN and special NAS end devices... (about 50 dollars) depending on how its done. Wireless is always an option, but i ran dedicated wiring.

I also use sizable power backup systems...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjetpilot View Post
I run / use what I'm suggesting, as a real NAS setup... its flawless...
Interestingly enough, I'm in the beginning phase of building a new computer for myself so that my wife can have her own, the one we now share.

So talking NAS, what about this; I'm already starting out with an Obsidian 800D case, sort of unique in that it has four front hot-pluggable bays that I could use for a RAID set up.
Beyond that, I'm going with the Asus FX990 mb that offers six SATA Rev.3.0 ports that can not only be used to power the RAID, but to run the SSD's as well.
There are additional SATA II ports for porting to the optical drives that don't need the speed.
The processor will be the AMD FX-6200 running 8gb of memory and Win7/64.

So is there any reason why, if you throw enough hardware at it, that you can't set up a NAS as part of one of the computers rather than running NAS in a separate system?
On the other hand, I was thinking of wimping out and going the easy way by just buying the DroboFS and being done with it, but I hate to waste all those available drive bays in the Corsair case.

This will be my first NAS setup so maybe I'm not totally understanding of the nuances.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:53 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
HF,

Sure, any server setup (hardware) can be configured to provide “Network services”… and consumes a lot of energy to do so... NAS optimizes IO operations for (files), on demand, across a gig LAN. Once you head down the NAS approach, you begin to build networked appliances. So your concerns, thoughts about MB, fast CPU, 8gig ram has no real value in a NAS system.

SSD is not a good option for file storage. It’s perfect for a PC, to boot from, run programs… not store large amounts of data. I can dump a SSD image to DRV in seconds... and rebuild in minutes… I have ZERO drive failure concerns…. I don’t store data on my PC.

NAS is a supported protocol, across devices… a Windows server is a windows system.

Go NAS…
RCG Plus Member