HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Data
Post your Model Plane Foam (MPF) Test & Build Data Here!

Ok I hope you heard of the newly released White, 6mm foam for scratch building your foamies. It is Called Model Plane Foam, or MPF for short. This company was started by our friends dz1sfb (Ken), bz1mcr (Don), and springer (Mike)., and is called Model Plane Foam Inc.You can find the website here for ordering.

Anyway there are two threads I know about. One is a poll, timeline, and story of the plans and developement to bring the product to market. The other is an announcement of the release of the product.

But we are now as builders interested in the actual product! How does it cut, glue, and form? How strong, brittle, flexable and flight worthy is it? How does it sand, seal, prime, paint, or cover? Is it too stiff, too flexable, how much does it weigh. What can I compare it to?

So here is a good place to start to answer all those questions as they are tested and discovered, all in one place. A few answers have been posted, and a few builds have been started, a couple completed too and it has been about 1 week since release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thermal Forming MPF.

So I will start with an actual thing I did today on this first post to get things started. I needed a undercamber wing for a Micro F-84 Thunderjet. I wanted light weight, great lift, and ample speed from this design. So in keeping with the GP F-86 Sabre that was just released, I set out to thermal form my wing.

Photo (1) shows I cut with a hobby knife. It cuts most like Blue/Pink foam, which I consider a bit easier to get one complete through cut in one pass than say 6mm Depron.

Photo (2) I had to sand in a taper towards my Trailing Edge. I used some worn 60 grit sandpaper on a wooden block to rough the shape, followed by some fairly new 120 grit paper, also on a wood block. Sanding went well, and fairly guick I would say it very much reminds me of sanding a cross between fff Blue Fan Fold foam, and Depron. The finish was nice and no tears or scares noted.

Photo (3) shows placing the foam into my wood/aluminum wing jig. I baked this at 230 degrees (F) for 18 minutes. When it cooled, the shape was well set and the foam much stiffer. Exactly the same temps and times I use on fff Blue Foam.

Photo (4) shows the finished wing blank waiting for cutting the outside profile, glueing dihedral center joints, ailerons, hinges, and possible covering to follow.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Mar 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
How to order MPF

There is a website open for business now. It is (link) Modelplanefoam.com\ . Ships UPS and as of todays date, cost is $50.00 for 16 sheets, shipping to the lower 48 States is $15.00. These are full 2'x4', yes (Big) sheets, pure white, no paper, no waves, no skin, 2lb per cubic foot lovely foam!

The Thread on the story and product developement, started by dz1sfb, is located HERE.

The Thread on the introduction of the product, started by Wilfor, is HERE.

To save needless words and typing, my initial impressions that answered many of my questions and wonderment before I had some in my hands is HERE.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
More on thermal Forming....

Timing is everything I guess. As I was posting my results on Thermal forming MPF, so was Ken (dz1sfb) for his Sea BB 32 kits. Here is what ken wrote:

Quote:
Well, I've cut an entire case of kits from my first box of foam. One of those kits was a Sea BB34 where I baked the wing panels in a baking jig. 190 degrees F for 10 minutes did a great job and no indication of being too hot.

Ken
Ken got very similar results on Thermal Forming MPF. However he used a lower heat and less time in the oven. I used 230F, 18 minutes, Ken 190F, 10 minutes. Same results. Looks like MPF handles the heat over a very broad range. This is unusual for foam, and 5-10 degrees can mean success or failue. Too hot, deforming, too cold, no forming.

Just some notes on my past thermal forming activities. Blue foam took more heat and handled it well, Pink needed less heat or it would start to desinigrate near the edges and perf's., Depron also needed less heat than blue. All foams held their shape well and were stiffer after the process. Dollar Tree foam was quite a failure. Even though it held a shape when thermal formed, it remained very soft and din't seem to gain any improved stiffness property.

Fred
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:39 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,268 Posts
Fred as all ive ever used is DT foam and you keep telling us how it isnt as good as everything else i cant wait to get my hands on this foam to play with . I have tried some 3mm cellfoam88 but cant say i really like it , Ended up using it for chuck gliders for the kids and it broke way to easy compare to the DT foam . Ive been bugging mike about trying a shipment of MPF to Canada , purely to help with figuring out shipping to here of course .

I do agree that DT foam does stay pretty soft after baking but it seems to hold its shape well .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Fred as all ive ever used is DT foam and you keep telling us how it isnt as good as everything else i cant wait to get my hands on this foam to play with . I have tried some 3mm cellfoam88 but cant say i really like it , Ended up using it for chuck gliders for the kids and it broke way to easy compare to the DT foam . Ive been bugging mike about trying a shipment of MPF to Canada , purely to help with figuring out shipping to here of course .

I do agree that DT foam does stay pretty soft after baking but it seems to hold its shape well .
Wilfor,

DT foam has a huge following, and I don't mean to sound standoffish or rude by any means. I got literally hooked on foam in 2002? and DT foam was all I could find in thin sheets. The formula seemed differnant back then. Very stiff, brittle, almost hard shell. The paper all but fell off, but the glue remained to help add weight and brittleness. But oh how nice it was to work with, and thermal form!

The newer DT stuff is so soft, that my fingernails and other things always seem to make terrible marks in it. I am a perfectionist so this bugs me! It is soft so also resistant to breakage, but not to crumpling. I also hate taking showers with my foam (LOL, to peel paper).

I agree cellfoam 88 is OK. The 5mm is rock hard. 3mm a bit soft. Depron better, but everythng has plus and minus traits.

So let us just say if I have 10 or more foams to pick from, I am bound to like my favorite and boast a little (or a lot).

I so hope some MPF starts to go to Canada, in fact World Wide would be cool for 'The Boys'. I want you of all people to experiance working with it. You may hate it, but I think it is becoming a fovorite of mine already. No one can argue the beauty of large 2'x4' sheets of white, 6mm foam. Blue fff will stay in my stash too because it is so cheap, and I can pretty much be very liberal with cheaper materials and even use it for tooling and plugs.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Mar 26, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,748 Posts
A couple tests that I put on the website: http://www.modelplanefoam.com/index....t-the-product/
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
NoT iNtElLiGeNt
India, Andhra Pradesh, Guntur
Joined Jan 2011
126 Posts
are these foams harder.
jyothibasu1k is offline Find More Posts by jyothibasu1k
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:23 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyothibasu1k View Post
are these foams harder.
This thread never caught on and died. Click on this link and you will get many answers to questions there. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

I would rate it as a bit harder than Dollar Tree Foam, but not as hard as Cellfoam 88, Depends on where you live, what you have used, etc, etc to explain it proper.

Fred
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:05 AM
NoT iNtElLiGeNt
Joined Jan 2011
126 Posts
can u tell me which foam did he use for that RC plane in this video

RC VTOL #4 SUCCESSFUL TILT ROTOR (3 min 1 sec)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:02 AM
redwhskers
United States, NY, East Nassau
Joined Feb 2010
376 Posts
Mig 3 with MPF

Guys

I most start with a great material, great to cut, great to paint and takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Here is my Mig 3 before and after a month it a Pine tree. The wind and rain did a job on my home made decal and riped out the motor. Just reinsalled the motor with a new prop and I'm back flying. Agian great foam would love 3mm for micros.

RW
redwhskers is offline Find More Posts by redwhskers
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:47 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,304 Posts
Well shut ma' mouth! Ah do b'leave thars a country song right there!

One month in a pine tree,
In the wind and the rain,
It couldn't destroy
My MPF plane.

So take my advice boys,
Just listen to me.
MPF is the best foam
To survive in a tree.

So you've heard my story,
And see you take heed,
MPF is the best stuff
For planes that get treed.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
redwhskers
United States, NY, East Nassau
Joined Feb 2010
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
well shut ma' mouth! Ah do b'leave thars a country song right there!

One month in a pine tree,
in the wind and the rain,
it couldn't destroy
my mpf plane.

So take my advice boys,
just listen to me.
Mpf is the best foam
to survive in a tree.

So you've heard my story,
and see you take heed,
mpf is the best stuff
for planes that get treed.
Whiskers
redwhskers is offline Find More Posts by redwhskers
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:
can u tell me which foam did he use for that RC plane in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDE1ZBfKSEg
Based on the appearance I would guess it is either Depron or MPF.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
NoT iNtElLiGeNt
Joined Jan 2011
126 Posts
@bz1mcr

thank you for ur reply.

what thickness of foam does we need to make such type 3 mm or 6 mm..
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,268 Posts
Quote:
@bz1mcr

thank you for ur reply.

what thickness of foam does we need to make such type 3 mm or 6 mm..

Thread here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506613
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor