HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,211 Posts
Discussion
My Indoor and Micro wings for some club fun for indoor newbies

My club has recently started a regular indoor fly night about twice a month so I decided to come up with something to fly.

I`m not into 3D and just putting around in circles with Vapor wouldn`t be much fun. My flying style is pretty much bank and yank in it`s various forms, so that was what I was after. I also enjoy streamer combat and pylon racing so I wanted
something that was easy and cheap so that I might get some others to join me.

I ended up with a prop-in-slot delta wing with the motor in the pusher position so that all of the gear and wiring could be kept in front of the slot. The PnS keeps the motor and prop safe and gives propwash over the elevons for some control even at very slow speeds or at the top of a stall turn.

The big one is 20" span made of 3mil Depron with a 1/8" white fiberglass spar. Right now it weighs 100g AUW, but I have lighter servos and esc on the way and should be able to get it down to about 70g with the same power available. It`s a hot flyer now, but at 2.5 oz it will be perfect for HiPo indoor flying. Cost of putting one in the air is only about $60 if you have the Tx, so I hope to get company with this one.

The smaller one is 1/2 size at 10" and is made from foam picnic plate material that is about 1.5mil. With a 150mah 1s the auw is 24g. Right now it`s powered with the brushed motor out of my PZ F4U in direct drive with a 3/3 prop. It also has the Corsair Brick on one elevon and a linear servo on the other one. Performance is pretty good, but it needs more power, so I have a HK 4g outrunner on the way which should be a big upgrade over the tired brushed motor.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Mar 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:19 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,211 Posts
I know these things aren`t anything new at all. My main goal was to use some readily available and inexpensive stuff to make some fun indoor flyers that had good performance for bank and yank flying. That part has been a success. Now I need to show some guys who might have no experiance with electric power, much less mini sized planes how to put one together and fly it with success.

I`ll be posting a basic construction steps showing materials needed. Then how to setup the gear and control throws, along with CG measuring and trimming. That way I can hand out a bag of parts and point them to the thread to answer questions.

So, please understand that the build and explanations will be for a newbie to mini/micro stuff. I don`t have much experiance myself, so if you have a tip on how to do something better, please jump in.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Mar 25, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:37 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,211 Posts
After building about 6 various wings I finally have what I`ve been looking for. This one is all PZ F4U guts including the gearbox and prop, minus one aileron servo and I`m using a 300mah lipo to help CG.

The AUW is 38g. It`s the same size as the first Mini, but just weighs much less. It`s a blast to fly. It will sustain about an 8ft circle or loop at full power.

The system only draws 1.8a at full power for about 7w. The 300mah lipo should give roughly 9min of full power flight, or 12 to 13min of mixed power.

I`ve added a video. The camera was aimed a little low. I was going to get a better vid, but the camera battery went dead. I will get some better vid of this thing soon, because it really boogies. It could use a little quicker roll rate, so I may add bigger elevons.

Sorry about the poor camera aim, but you can get the idea.

20120401-235332.MOV (2 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Apr 02, 2012 at 01:08 AM.