HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, IA, Grimes
Joined Jun 2007
44 Posts
Discussion
Need advice on gears for modified Stampede

I am a complete noob when it comes to RC trucks. I picked up a used, modified Stampede a few years ago and had a blast with it. Then, it started having problems which I thought (at the time) were related to the battery packs getting old. I picked up a couple of new packs and when that didn't resolve the problems and I was stripping spur gears it got put away. Now, two years later, I'm trying to revive it for my boys to play with.

The problem now is that the motor gets so hot the power lead comes off (the solder connection gets hot enough it comes off!). I assume this has something to do with either a bad motor, binding in the drive train, or gearing. I just don't know where to start. Here is what I have:

Orion SV2 motor
XL5 ESC
7.2V Ni-MH 3300mAh battery packs
Gearing: originally, when I got it, it had 17t pinion and (I think) 84t spur and it ran like a bat of a you-know-where. After stripping the spur gear I couldn't find an 84t spur at the LHS so I got an 81t and and 87t. I have tried a 23t pinion with an 81t spur just recently and this is when I found the super-hot motor problem. I tried loosening the lash (if that's how you say it) between the pinion and spur but that didn't help enough to prevent the heat issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate to start throwing money at it not really understanding what the underlying problem is.
Augy_IA is offline Find More Posts by Augy_IA
Last edited by Augy_IA; Mar 28, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Closed Thread