Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:45 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
Discussion
FY Panda UAV system

This is a forum for discussing the FY Panda autopilot system. However there is a lot of similar information on the GCS etc that can be found in the FY31AP thread found here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575919

Some general info

1) Panda is an IMU autopilot (no thermo piles)
2) it has a functioning GCS in windows 7
3) the AP can remember up to ??? waypoints....I think it's 999 but will confirm
4) it can also RTL, circle at given location and do "click and fly"
5) it works with xbee pro ttl modems
6) it has NO airspeed sensor however it does increase throttle to keep ground speed
7) it is VERY easy to hook up and get flyling
8) itis more expensive than the 31AP series but much more functinoality and some new features.

Who am I?
I do not work for FY, however they did send me this autopilot for review and documentation.

About me.. I own or have tried the following for fixed wing craft.

1) Ardupilot
2) Atto pilot (never really got the support I wanted and they moved on wanting more money for features I thought were standard)
3) FY-21AP (good but this is waaaaay better)
4) FY-3ZT (good but more complex)
5) FY-Panda system (replacment for 3ZT but have not flown it yet)
6) Eagle Tree (excellent but no waypionts or GCS)
7) Zerotech YS09 (this could be good... but recently I had some incidents that forced me to remove it from my plane and install my trusty panda)

Ok I will reserve some first posts then update as required.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Last edited by saabguyspg; Oct 05, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:46 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
Tech FAQ's

where do I buy it?
http://shop.fyetech.com/product_info...products_id=50

can I use my own modem?
yes, I have found the xbee pro (900mhz) work well with the system, however I do find that for the first GPS lock of the day I need to unplug the data modem so the gps can get a lock... then after that it finds sats no problem even after rebooting.

does it work with XP?
yes but I had slow connection problems, I recommend a recent laptop running win 7 with 4GB of ram

how cold can it be to fly?

will it display my voltages and current on the GCS?
Yes! unlike the 31AP the OSD and the GCS can both "see" the voltages and current drawn!

Where can I find the latest gcs download?
the latest one is found here http://www.feiyu-tech.com/download-e...d=43&nav_num=6 I have it working on windowns 7. Run AND INSTALL this program as an administrator.

There is also a 2D gcs available but it will need Google Earth 4.3 to run, GE 4.3 can be found here http://www.feiyu-tech.com/download-en.php?id=63

Where do I find other FY downloads like firmware upgrades?
they are found here http://www.feiyu-tech.com/download_list-en.php

Will the GCS work without internet connection?
yes but you must browse to the area you want to fly in WITHIN THE GCS and then shut down the GCS. After this do not open any other programs that use google earth or you will lose that cache! I wish this were not the case but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Note although I have had sucess with this method others have not.

FY is sending me an offline style GCS that I hope to test soon.
Last edited by saabguyspg; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
Videos
Panda Autopilot video #1 (3 min 35 sec)

FY Panda autopilot video #2 (5 min 5 sec)

Feiyu Tech Panda autopilot video #3 (5 min 46 sec)

Feiyu Tech Panda autopilot video #4 (2 min 31 sec)

Feiyu Tech Panda autopilot video #5 (2 min 32 sec)

2d GCS overview (11 min 47 sec)

Mapmaker for FY (3 min 37 sec)
Last edited by saabguyspg; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jul 2009
25 Posts
POS data recorder

Hi..

Please I need help..1. Im very confuse where should I connect POS data recorder? due to no manual or instruction there. 2. For triggering camera, Panda using TTL for triggering camera, do I need special circuit, like TTL switch? or just connect to my camera? My camera is canon G11. Thanks for helping me..

Regards
Eko
ekozxx is offline Find More Posts by ekozxx
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
sorry I dont understand question #1

question #2
you need to trigger your canon with CHDK firmare that supports usb triggering. then you can connect that to the autopilot.. but make sure you know what you are doing! you don't want to fry your camera or the Panda!

I have my Panda flying on my X5 airplane... just did a few flights to trim it... I will test the autopilot next time... so far... really good!

Steve
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Jul 2009
25 Posts
Thank you Steve.

About my question no.1: I buy Panda complete with POS data recorder. With POS I can record all GPS and IMU datas into miniSD card. I send email to John Liao about my problem and he replied me with clear explanation..then my problem solved. The conclusion is POS and OSD can be connected with Y-lead to UART port.

For triggering camera, I will try using TTL switch. Anyway I wait your next report flying autopilot on X5 airplane.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:10 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
Sorry what do you mean by POS?

And can you report on what camera and cable you will use for the ttl switch?

thank you!!

Steve
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
South Africa, KZN, PMB
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Hi Steve,
Thanks for all your info. Please can you tell me the reason for going for the Panda over the FY 31AP? If I would only ever want to program up to 8 waypoints is the 31AP better value for money? My application is mapping photography. I'm currently using a quad copter with a DJI Naza controller and manually flying over the area to be photographed/mapped, and stiching the images afterwards. So far this works ok but I'm obviously seriously limited to a small area to photograph so am trying to figure out the best controller to get to put into a fixed wing for this application.
Thanks
Andrew
rchelicam is offline Find More Posts by rchelicam
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:51 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
Hi Andrew, I use these autpilots for the same application, the area to cover is far to great for a multi rotor in my case and I find them too dangerous.

Anyway panda advanates are

1) much less problems with vibrations compared to 31AP
2) lots more waypoints
3) you can rotate it in any direction (great if you are installing in a small plane)
4) I find it flies the plane quite a bit better too. with some tuning I can get very good solid tracking... however I have not spent a lot of time tuning 31AP yet.

I will make a video on how to tune these in the air soon... actually I did already but it's very long and I did not commentate it very well.

Steve
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:52 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
BTW I also have a Zero YS09 and it was not performing... it actually was trying to crash my plane!!!

anyway I pulled it out and installed the Panda... smooth sailing since.

Honestly I think Panda is the most reliable system I have had yet.

And I am testing a 2D offline gcs that seems to be working well.

More to come on that soon.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:26 AM
An Iranian-Turk
Iran, Tehran
Joined Dec 2009
170 Posts
saabguyspg;
Thank you for share of these videos.
Is there any way to download them in hard disk?
Nīmā is offline Find More Posts by Nīmā
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:42 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
I think you can get it from vimeo... there should be a dowload button

BTW they have reduced the price of the Panda quite a bit... Full kit is 1400 and without OSD it is 1150$ or about that...

Steve
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
I curently have the apm2 not flying it yet but i also come acros the Rvosd http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=135

Much lower price range $300 vs the $1400 of the panda. Wonder how they mesure up
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Jul 2009
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Sorry what do you mean by POS?

And can you report on what camera and cable you will use for the ttl switch?

thank you!!

Steve
Sorry late reply..POS is optional part for recording all IMU data using miniSD card from Feiyutech. I need this data for geometry correction my orthogonal photomapping. Anyway what airplane lately do you use Steve? Have you already installed latest firmware for Panda? Any improvement with latest firmware?
Last edited by ekozxx; Aug 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jul 2009
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
I curently have the apm2 not flying it yet but i also come acros the Rvosd http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=135

Much lower price range $300 vs the $1400 of the panda. Wonder how they mesure up
I think it depends of your sparetime you have. APM2 is opensource. You must have good experience in soldering, selecting best parameter for your aircraft, tweaking, etc. Panda is ready to use autopilot with minimal effort and less time consume. About RVOSD, this only OSD with RTH capability, with no Autonomous waypoints. This from my view..