HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Discussion
MY first scratch build! Micro Zephyr

check it out i have changed the setup and the new parts are in the mail when they get here ill update it and fly it and let you know how it goes.
Micro foam board zephyr style plane scratch built (3 min 23 sec)
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
That's Awesome! Do have any plans or measurements?
Coinguy98 is offline Find More Posts by Coinguy98
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Bring on the good weather!
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinguy98 View Post
That's Awesome! Do have any plans or measurements?
i don't have any plans i just looked at a picture of a zephyr and just did my best with a ruler to mimic it lol. i think i did pretty dang good after i test fly it when my new electronics come in ill make the plans for it. but as of right now i don't want to give out plans without knowing how it flies if you get my drift. then when its all flying great i can make the plans and a list of the electronics and my settings in my dx7 radio so it can be really easy for everyone to copy it. if this one goes good ill be making a big big one!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:46 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,042 Posts
looks great. Hard to tell in the video, but it looks like you may have the prop on backwards. the curved portion of the blade should be facing the direction of flight. If it is you will see better thrust immediately.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
Psalms 23:4
Goshen, IN, USA
Joined Nov 2010
267 Posts
I concur. The prop definitely looks backwards. You'll lose 1/2 to 2/3 of your thrust with the prop on the wrong way.
miniprinter96 is offline Find More Posts by miniprinter96
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:38 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
I probably had it backwards I don't have any electronics on it anymore exept the servos. I ordered a spectrum micro rx and a bigger brushless motor and esc and 2 thunderpower 25c 2s lipos a 380mah and a 450mah to see which one will work best. I'm trying to get all of the guess work out of everything so that when I make tge plans for this everything works together perfectly for you guys!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:48 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Ok I just received my spectrum micro rx and tiger 6A 2s esc, now I'm just waiting on my new tiger motor to come in and batteries then I should be up and flying this crazy thing!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:24 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Ok in received my motor today and I installed everything and took it for a test flight with the original walkera helicopter 3axis gyro . Well I spun the motor up tossed it and the gyro threw it straight into the ground because it thought the nose was blown way up into the which made the gyro put in full nose down pitch and it nose dived. It messed the front up a little and broke the servo control horn on the ailron but I'll need to super glue the horn back on and somehow figure out if I can order the right connectors to connect my micro spectrum rx up to the electronics since it doesn't have a gyro. I got the crash on on video I'll upload it later.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
My micro spektrum rx for my micro zephyr came in the ail broke so i just built a large zephyr in the mean time here it is
FoamBoard Scratch Built 60'' Zephyr 1st good flight (8 min 28 sec)
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:02 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Looks like it flies well!
Is that a flat plate airfoil or a kfm? by that respect, I'm really impressed, so big, yet so thin.

Lol, love the battery area
I can't wait to see the micro.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Looks like it flies well!
Is that a flat plate airfoil or a kfm? by that respect, I'm really impressed, so big, yet so thin.

Lol, love the battery area
I can't wait to see the micro.
Its completely flat no airfoil lol Im working on the battery area lmao
It's pretty big 60" is huge lol when I went full speed I seen the end of the wing wobble lol so I'm just going to use it for a unique cruiser. I ordered a real zephyr and I'm having a guy build it and send it to me I'm sure the real one will fly a billion times better. I just think this one was cool and I wanted to see if I could build a scratch built plane that would fly.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
I sent the spektrum rx back to horizon hobby bc I received it broken XD I'm sick of looking at this micro zephyr sit here waiting for a rx. Friday I should have an update when there sending me a new one.