HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:46 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
930 Posts
Alert
1300mm Art-Tech P-51 with sound system - CAUGHT FIRE!!

I received my Art-Tech P-51 yesterday evening - I was very impressed with everything (See the mini-review in electric warbirds section) except for one thing.... The sound system caught fire while getting everything trimmed up and ready for the first flight!

I have attached some photos for everyone to see - I was able to safely extinguish the fire and also save the plane, which later flew well, but the sound system is completely cooked and that was my main reason for buying the plane in the first place. It's a shame because it worked for around 2 minutes before the fiery death and it sounded awesome. I didn't do anything unusual, just normal movement of the controls on the ground to check everything for flight, and the smoke came out!

I'd like to request a full replacement sound system ASAP - Everything in photo 4, this time a little better QC, please. BTW, I have an open case with Banana Hobby already - About a month ago they sent me an F-4 Phantom when I ordered an F-14 Tomcat. I sent the plane back and it arrived at their warehouse over a week ago. Still no refund.... Poor customer service and some dangerous products at Banana Hobby these days, unfortunately.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Wow, had no idea they were throwing sound in them now.... Good luck with your service, as I follow a lot of your plane builds.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
930 Posts
Thanks, we'll see how it plays out. I was very excited to see a sound system included, but not so excited when the fire started, as you can imagine. Hoping they will make this right with better speed than my other ongoing issue with them.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
May I have the order number for that plane so I may submit the request please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
I received my Art-Tech P-51 yesterday evening - I was very impressed with everything (See the mini-review in electric warbirds section) except for one thing.... The sound system caught fire while getting everything trimmed up and ready for the first flight!

I have attached some photos for everyone to see - I was able to safely extinguish the fire and also save the plane, which later flew well, but the sound system is completely cooked and that was my main reason for buying the plane in the first place. It's a shame because it worked for around 2 minutes before the fiery death and it sounded awesome. I didn't do anything unusual, just normal movement of the controls on the ground to check everything for flight, and the smoke came out!

I'd like to request a full replacement sound system ASAP - Everything in photo 4, this time a little better QC, please. BTW, I have an open case with Banana Hobby already - About a month ago they sent me an F-4 Phantom when I ordered an F-14 Tomcat. I sent the plane back and it arrived at their warehouse over a week ago. Still no refund.... Poor customer service and some dangerous products at Banana Hobby these days, unfortunately.
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
930 Posts
bh18-211463, thank you.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi roswalt, it's actually the engine that makes the noise not a separate sound system, so please do not use the item at all until you receive the replacement

Quote:
bh18-211463, thank you.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
930 Posts
Good evening,

Tony (From your support center) called me recently and I have sent him some more photos of the problem.

The above information you provided is not accurate... There is definitely an external sound system linked into the "standard" features of the P-51. This particular plane has flown successfully since I removed the following components which appear in the photo below:

Speaker
Sound processing board
Y-Cables to ESC and Battery

Those are the parts responsible for sound reproduction, and those are what I'd like replaced somehow. The plane flies well without them, but I bought it because of the unique feature that the sound system presented. It is really cool when its working, and not on fire. Had that occurred in flight, I would be requesting a new plane for sure!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:19 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,930 Posts
Roswalt, Buy me a new jet, and I can stand next to you when you fly. I can make good p-51 noise, and most jets..
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:49 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby csr View Post
hi roswalt, it's actually the engine that makes the noise not a separate sound system, so please do not use the item at all until you receive the replacement
wow!
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Hobby CSR View Post
Hi roswalt, it's actually the engine that makes the noise not a separate sound system, so please do not use the item at all until you receive the replacement
wow - talk about incompetence!
they dont even know their own products.
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi roswalt, thanks for the info I'm aware as I did have him call you to get it resolved asap, as well as the parts request for the replacement parts has been submitted and marked as urgent.

Quote:
Good evening,

Tony (From your support center) called me recently and I have sent him some more photos of the problem.

The above information you provided is not accurate... There is definitely an external sound system linked into the "standard" features of the P-51. This particular plane has flown successfully since I removed the following components which appear in the photo below:

Speaker
Sound processing board
Y-Cables to ESC and Battery

Those are the parts responsible for sound reproduction, and those are what I'd like replaced somehow. The plane flies well without them, but I bought it because of the unique feature that the sound system presented. It is really cool when its working, and not on fire. Had that occurred in flight, I would be requesting a new plane for sure!
Last edited by Banana Hobby CSR; Apr 02, 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:45 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
930 Posts
That sounds great! Thanks a lot - Standing by for confirmation of shipment.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:46 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
930 Posts
Update (2146)
I received confirmation this evening that BH CSR came through for me! A package is inbound containing the parts requested. Will update upon arrival, but I'm happy with their action. Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:00 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Did it work for alittle bit? If so, how did it sound? These warbirds sound quite enough that a sound system would be a pretty big hit if it worked right and was loud enough...
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:59 AM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
930 Posts
Oh yeah, that's why I want a working unit so badly! It sounded great to me while it was functional, and the volume is adjustable to a pretty high level. The sound isn't Bose-Quality or anything, but I found it to be pretty realistic and a very nice addition to the plane. I'm looking forward to hearing what it sounds like in the air. It may not be as easy to hear once you're outside and flying - We'll see!